egsiue is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Leg day twice a week

Hey, I do legs twice a week and was wondering if having one day being quad focused, and the other being posterior chain focused would be a good idea, instead of a mix of both in both workouts. There would still be quad/ham work done in both leg days, but for example on the posterior chain focused day the only direct quad work would be some light leg extensions for 12-15 reps to finish off the workout. Additionally, if I were to do that, would it be dumb of me to take out back squats (I do low bar) and do front squats on the quad day and then deadlifts on the posterior chain focused leg day?

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If intra-workout systemic fatigue is an issue, it makes good sense to prioritize focus on a given muscle group, but it depends how it’s done. If your goal is hypertrophy, you need to look at it from the view of total weekly workload. Say initially you were doing 2 quad exercises on each leg day. If you have a ‘quad focused’ day where you now hit 3 quad exercises, and a ‘ham focused day’ where you hit another 1 quad exercise, by the end of the week you actually haven’t focused on anything.

The ‘focus’ becomes an illusion simply because you upped the workload for the muscle in a given session, providing a better ‘feeling’, but the total weekly workload remains the same. Or possibly less. Localized muscle fatigue is just as likely to impede set quality as systemic fatigue (ensuing junk volume), and is more likely to occur on ‘focus’ days due to the added volume for a single muscle. The result now becomes one ‘focus’ day that’s potentially impacted by localized muscle fatigue, affecting set quality, and one barebones day that wouldn’t provide enough stimulus. Leg extensions and calling it a day borderlines a waste of time. So the weekly set count remains the same, but the overall set quality is arguably less, meaning lower total workload for the same energy expenditure. Pretty pointless IMO. But, again, it depends how it’s done.

If you’re trying to bring up a lagging muscle, the best method to do this is to increase its total weekly workload across the board. Not give here and take there. Just my opinion, though, and I bet some would disagree.
    Last edited by leidenesLK; 01-21-2021 at 11:08 AM.

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Damn the guy above me narf does like his essays. Op a correctly done deadlift would be quad dominant so why put it on hamstring day? I think you should follow a program already wrote out for you until you understand more about why you have chose certain exercises

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    Damn the guy above me narf does like his essays. Op a correctly done deadlift would be quad dominant so why put it on hamstring day? I think you should follow a program already wrote out for you until you understand more about why you have chose certain exercises
    I really do.

Hmm I wouldn’t go as far as saying they’re quad dominant, especially if pulling conventional. Sure, they’re used to a large extent, but the joint angles aren’t really there to call them quad dominant. I think they’re fine on ham day especially to separate it from heavy squats. An RDL would be a more ‘pure’ hinge, though.

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by leidenesLK View Post
    I really do.

Hmm I wouldn’t go as far as saying they’re quad dominant, especially if pulling conventional. Sure, they’re used to a large extent, but the joint angles aren’t really there to call them quad dominant. I think they’re fine on ham day especially to separate it from heavy squats. An RDL would be a more ‘pure’ hinge, though.
    They're definitely quad dominant. It's essentially a half squat and youre driving from the floor using your quads. If you're having a hamstring dedicated day then yes rdl would be the one to choose not a convention deadlift

Registered User readreindeer666's Avatar
    readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is it working?

They're definitely quad dominant. It's essentially a half squat and youre driving from the floor using your quads. If you're having a hamstring dedicated day then yes rdl would be the one to choose not a convention deadlift
    You’re right that quads are used heavily off the floor, but to say they’re quad dominant implies there’s more extension happening at the knees than the hips which isn’t the case (leverages aside). Generally speaking, torso angle isn’t going to be near as upright as a squat (or half squat), so I’d still classify them as being hip dominant. Deficits, snatch-grip, sumo would definitely shift more emphasis to quads simply due to deeper knee angles.
    Last edited by leidenesLK; 01-21-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Originally Posted by leidenesLK View Post
    You’re right that quads are used heavily off the floor, but to say they’re quad dominant implies there’s more extension happening at the knees than the hips which isn’t the case (leverages aside). Generally speaking, torso angle isn’t going to be near as upright as a squat (or half squat), so I’d still err on the side of them being hip dominant. Deficits, snatch-grip, sumo would definitely shift more emphasis to quads simply due to deeper knee angles.
    Of course they use the hips heavily considering it's a hinge but that's not the point. The point is, that using a conventional deadlift on a hamstring focused day doesn't make sense. It's uses more quads than hamstrings

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you half squat a deadlift you are really ****ing up.
    Conv dead not quad dominant at all...

And this comes from a guy with outstanding leg drive and speed off the floor.

All you have to do is look at joint angles.
    Physics and physiology are against you on this one.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    If you half squat a deadlift you are really ****ing up.
    Conv dead not quad dominant at all...

And this comes from a guy with outstanding leg drive and speed off the floor.

All you have to do is look at joint angles.
    Physics and physiology are against you on this one.
    Came here to say the exact same thing.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Of course they use the hips heavily considering it's a hinge but that's not the point. The point is, that using a conventional deadlift on a hamstring focused day doesn't make sense. It's uses more quads than hamstrings

Definitely not. Just mechanically, that movement can't be quad dominant
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

Of course they use the hips heavily considering it's a hinge but that's not the point.
    But that was my point though. I was responding to you saying they’re quad dominant and a half squat. They’re hip dominant and closer to a hinge, which you now say so it’s all good Hope I’m not coming off rude btw.

The point is, that using a conventional deadlift on a hamstring focused day doesn't make sense. It's uses more quads than hamstrings
    IMO, makes more more sense on ham day than it does on quad day seeing as it’s more of a hinge. Ham day is usually synonymous with hip extension (and knee flexion) anyway. Separates it from heavy squats too if you prefer to deadlift fresh.

I didn't literally mean you half squat a deadlift. I mean the bend in your knees. Deadlifts are definitely more quad dominant than hamstring if done properly, that is a fact

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I didn't literally mean you half squat a deadlift. I mean the bend in your knees. Deadlifts are definitely more quad dominant than hamstring if done properly, that is a fact
    It simply is not a fact. If your stance is "conventional deadlifts with a regular, roughly shoulder-width grip are a quad-dominant exercise", you are simply incorrect. It's not a debate. It's biomechanics.
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

I get where you’re coming from, but to say something is quad dominant means that knee extension is the primary function of the movement. The hip goes through greater extension than the knee, making it hip dominant. The biceps femoris is responsible for hip extension (with glutes). Therefore it’s more hamstring than quad due to more favorable joint angles allowing for better ROM.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Deadlifts are hamstring/glute dominant. Quads are a much smaller part of that movement.

/thread
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    Deadlifts are hamstring/glute dominant. Quads are a much smaller part of that movement.

/thread
    Please let this be the end of that argument.