Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Should I Bulk? advice for beginner please

Going by home scales, i know how unreliable they are but here goes.

I'm 32yo male, 5 foot 9, 10 stone 2lb, 10% bodyfat (which i doubt).

should i be looking at bulking to put on as much muscle as i can and then cut? if so then how long for each.

thank you

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bulk for aslong as possible aiming for 2-3lb gain per month. Cut when you're not happy with your bodyfat levels

SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50) SiloHD will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    Bulk for aslong as possible aiming for 2-3lb gain per month. Cut when you're not happy with your bodyfat levels
    Thank you, as i said i'm new to this so i'm sorry if it is stupid questions.
    eating a diet of 2,800 calories a day which is 500 calories above maintenance for me until i reach 15%BF and then start a cut does this sound about right for me?

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SiloHD View Post
    eating a diet of 2,800 calories a day which is 500 calories above maintenance for me until i reach 15%BF and then start a cut does this sound about right for me?
    ~200 above maintenance is better imo, you'll gain less fat

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    This. 200 above maintenance and then only increase calories when lifts stall

excellent, thank you for this.

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This. 200 above maintenance and then only increase calories when lifts stall
    I'll 2nd all of the above; adding, as long as the scale is going up every week, you're good. Increase cals if weight gain stops. But only do this if weight gain stalls for a good 2 weeks. You'll have some fluctuation here and there so don't make changes based on 1 weigh-in or 1 week.

Weigh yourself at least 3 times per week to get an average.

As said above, bulk until you personally feel too fluffy; there's no right or wrong answer to how much fat to put on. Just keep in mind, the more you put on, the more that has to come off when you turn to a deficit.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

Originally Posted by smokinal View Post
    I'll 2nd all of the above; adding, as long as the scale is going up every week, you're good. Increase cals if weight gain stops. But only do this if weight gain stalls for a good 2 weeks. You'll have some fluctuation here and there so don't make changes based on 1 weigh-in or 1 week.

Weigh yourself at least 3 times per week to get an average.

As said above, bulk until you personally feel too fluffy; there's no right or wrong answer to how much fat to put on. Just keep in mind, the more you put on, the more that has to come off when you turn to a deficit.
    thank you it's helping alot, i did go to the gym but never tracked calories... so i made the decision i wanted a better version of me and to do this tracking calories was a must but i started getting confused because some people were telling me to keep maintenance or a slight deficit because you can still build muscle on a deficit as my end goal i wanted to be ripped but not look skinny and others were telling me to start a bulk gain as much mass as possible and then do a cut... and then there was ones who said they need to see pictures before they knew.
    Then the more i looked at youtube videos the more i was getting confused on what to do, that is why i decided to post on this forum hoping someone with more experience was able to help.
    Last edited by SiloHD; 01-18-2021 at 09:04 AM.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Given you said "which I doubt" concerning your bodyfat, i'm getting the feeling you're just guessing with a lot of your numbers.

Do you actually KNOW what your bodyfat or your TDEE is?

Have you actually tested this kind of energy intake over time?
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Given you said "which I doubt" concerning your bodyfat, i'm getting the feeling you're just guessing with a lot of your numbers.

Do you actually KNOW what your bodyfat or your TDEE is?

Have you actually tested this kind of energy intake over time?
    only what i know is going by scales in full - WEIGHT 10ST1.8lb, BMI 20.3, BF 10%, FatFree Body Weight 9st1.6lb, subcutaneous fat 8.9%, VisceralFat 3, Skeletal Muscle 58.1%, Muscle Mass 8st9.2lb, body water 65%, Bone Mass 6.4lb, Protein 20.5%, BMR 1620Kcal, Metabolic Age 31.

my estimated TDEE i just do it through an online TDEE calculator.

The reason i said i doubt my bodyfat percentage is because smart home scales are not going to be as accurate as Calipers or a dexa scan and its all home scales i'm going by, as everything is closed under lockdown here in the uk, got to work with what i have.
    Also i'm new to tracking so trying to soak everything in as much as i can so i know where to start hence the reason i asked should i bulk with my current bodyweight but to answer you're question on have i tested this over time then no not over time, could pretty much say this is my first steps

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Without a photo there is no way to accurately advise you plus understand that weight gain, even only a couple pounds a month does not mean you're gaining muscle. Your training program must be spot on
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    only what i know is going by scales in full - WEIGHT 10ST1.8lb, BMI 20.3, BF 10%, FatFree Body Weight 9st1.6lb, subcutaneous fat 8.9%, VisceralFat 3, Skeletal Muscle 58.1%, Muscle Mass 8st9.2lb, body water 65%, Bone Mass 6.4lb, Protein 20.5%, BMR 1620Kcal, Metabolic Age 31.

my estimated TDEE i just do it through an online TDEE calculator.

The reason i said i doubt my bodyfat percentage is because smart home scales are not going to be as accurate as Calipers or a dexa scan and its all home scales i'm going by, as everything is closed under lockdown here in the uk, got to work with what i have.
    Also i'm new to tracking so trying to soak everything in as much as i can so i know where to start hence the reason i asked should i bulk with my current bodyweight but to answer you're question on have i tested this over time then no not over time, could pretty much say this is my first steps
    Yeah, so the scale is NOT accurate.

My bathroom scale says I'm like 5.7% bodyfat... im not.

Don't pay attention to anything those measurement scales say.

If you want an estimate, you can post a photo here and people can give you an idea.

Also, for the TDEE, again you need to TEST IT over time.

So for right now, you could be off by several hundred calories or more....

'Metabolic Age' means nothing....
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Calipers Are generally pretty inaccurate also.

I would put money your scales wrong. Just like Adam above hand held bf measure things and scales always say my bf is much lower than it is like a female at 7% bf haha haha no. Dexa I’m like 13.5 ish
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Ok so i took these pictures just now of front side and back, i hope it worked and i hope it helps everyone in helping me.
    thank you
    Attached Images

Ok so i took these pictures just now of front side and back, i hope it worked and i hope it helps everyone in helping me.
    thank you
    From the front and side, you look like you're closer to 17%.

Your back, though, it seemingly much leaner. I think you're still like 16%-17% tho.

Most people don't realize how lean 10% actually is. If you're 10%, you'd have a six pack, lots of vascularity, separation, a lower-back christmas tree shape....

For example, my avatar photo is me at what I'd consider around 9%.

That being said, you still lack muscle, so you don't need to cut.... you'll experience a good amount of body recomp while you gain because you're still fairly slight in frame.

I would get into a small surplus and lean bulk... you need to pack on the muscle mass.

From the front and side, you look like you're closer to 17%.

Your back, though, it seemingly much leaner. I think you're still like 16%-17% tho.

Most people don't realize how lean 10% actually is. If you're 10%, you'd have a six pack, lots of vascularity, separation, a lower-back christmas tree shape....

For example, my avatar photo is me at what I'd consider around 9%.

That being said, you still lack muscle, so you don't need to cut.... you'll experience a good amount of body recomp while you gain because you're still fairly slight in frame.

I would get into a small surplus and lean bulk... you need to pack on the muscle mass.
    I agree, i didn't see any separation apart from my back... pack on the muscle in a lean bulk, got it! thank you very much for this.

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    thank you
    I'd keep a small calorie surplus and add muscle. Keep track of your waist measurement at the navel and if this number grows you're adding fat. When you get your calories totally dialed in you'll add muscle and very little fat and maybe none if you do things correctly.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    thank you
    Pick a solid training program and then eat enough to gain ~1-2 pounds per month. If you're gaining 3 pounds per month you're likely gaining too much fat.

Ideally you want your bulk to last as long as possible, think >12 months or longer.

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Pick a solid training program and then eat enough to gain ~1-2 pounds per month. If you're gaining 3 pounds per month you're likely gaining too much fat.

Ideally you want your bulk to last as long as possible, think >12 months or longer.
    agreed

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post

really? aslong as that, wouldn't have thought it. so after the 12 months go into a cut and how long does a cut last?

really? aslong as that, wouldn't have thought it. so after the 12 months go into a cut and how long does a cut last?
    I’ve been in a surplus for 10+ months... still not anywhere near even moderately chubby...

You just need to track changes and be patient.

Bulk slowly until you’re at a bodyfat you’re not comfortable with, then cut not losing more than 1% of your body weight per week... and just cut until you’re happy with how you look.

I’ve been in a surplus for 10+ months... still not anywhere near even moderately chubby...

You just need to track changes and be patient.

Bulk slowly until you’re at a bodyfat you’re not comfortable with, then cut not losing more than 1% of your body weight per week... and just cut until you’re happy with how you look.
    ok got it, in my head this was my plan (Bulk) September- feb (Cut) march - July (Maintain) august lol

ok got it, in my head this was my plan (Bulk) September- feb (Cut) march - July (Maintain) august lol
    zero reason to put a date on any of it...

If you're happy with how you look, why change anything?

zero reason to put a date on any of it...

If you're happy with how you look, why change anything?
    i don't think anyone is ever happy how they look, i dont think anyone looks at their body as the finished article, thats just my opinion from what i see from guys at the gym... i'd be happy to look like them but they are never happy, always want bigger or always want leaner

i don't think anyone is ever happy how they look, i dont think anyone looks at their body as the finished article, thats just my opinion from what i see from guys at the gym... i'd be happy to look like them but they are never happy, always want bigger or always want leaner
    Im saying happy with the LEANNESS...

It's possible to still be chasing a lifelong goal in terms of muscle growth while still being happy with your leanness.

Personally, I feel 100% happy being anywhere up to like 17% as long as I have some abs visible.

Even if it get a little fatter, it's not a huge deal, i'm just not feeling 'good' about it.

It doesn't mean I think my body is the best thing ever... but that's not what I'm saying.

However, I disagree with your statement of nobody being 'happy' with their appearance. I'm 'happy' with how I look... that doesn't mean I can't improve.
    Last edited by AdamWW; 01-18-2021 at 01:16 PM.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would maintain until you don’t see progress anymore. There’s room for muscle growth and to lower bf at your current bf with maintenance calories. Once you plateau with weights going up and waist size not changing, then a small surplus of 200-300 calories. Try to only put on 1-2 lbs a week. If you gain more than that cut the calories down till you find that sweet spot of that slow gain. Weigh your self first thing in the morning at the same time too
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Registered User readreindeer666's Avatar
    readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Eat to grow bro keep it simple

Originally Posted by readreindeer666 View Post
    Eat to grow bro keep it simple
    Just not TOO much. It's easy to overdo the eat big to grow big mentality. That's how people get in trouble and then have to cut for months on end. This would be a classic "Bulk, cut" cycle which is why many people recommend a recomp as they confuse any type of bulking period with adding a bunch of fat when in reality it should be a period of a very slight caloric surplus which will be optimum for muscle growth and a very minimum fat gain which can be dieted off quickly when warranted.

The term "Bulking" should be retired and replaced with the term "Muscle adding period"

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Just not TOO much. It's easy to overdo the eat big to grow big mentality. That's how people get in trouble and then have to cut for months on end. This would be a classic "Bulk, cut" cycle which is why many people recommend a recomp as they confuse any type of bulking period with adding a bunch of fat when in reality it should be a period of a very slight caloric surplus which will be optimum for muscle growth and a very minimum fat gain which can be dieted off quickly when warranted.

The term "Bulking" should be retired and replaced with the term "Muscle adding period"
    I always liked the term ‘improvement season’ and ‘growth phase’.

I always liked the term ‘improvement season’ and ‘growth phase’.
    Haha hopefully not “waist growth phase”

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB