jimredsox is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Home Gym Recommendations for beginner

Looking for some advice so I get what I need but don’t over engineer this. I’m 48 yrs old and would consider myself a weak guy. I cycle a lot and want to continue to improve my power and speed for
    Long rides. I’m 6’2 235 so not obese but again weak. Want to increase metabolism improve my cycling and overall fitness and strength.
    I want to build a home / garage gym. I own nothing now. I’ve heard start with a power rack. I’ve heard brands such as Rogue and Sorinex.
    Any guidance on must haves for a garage gym? Thanks!

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There's actually a forum for this: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Delete this thread, make a new thread there, and make it clear what your budget is as well as how much space you have to work with.
    My 100% free website: healthierwithscience.com
    My YouTube channel: youtube.com/@benjaminlevinsonmd17

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wouldn’t go out and get all that. I’d start with some KBs and maybe a suspension trainer, and start with some exercises like pushups, rows, KB presses and swings, goblet squats, and the like. Then, if you determine your fitness goals require a rack, bench, and all that, then add to it from there.

As far as equipment goes, you can’t go wrong with Rogue, but Repfitness and Titan fitness have good options on a budget. There are other brands but those come to mind first.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 01-16-2021 at 08:17 PM.

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Barbell lifts are awesome, but BegGains' suggestion about kettlebells is probably better for your goals of general fitness and strength. KBs are compact, inexpensive, and work your body in various planes of movement. You can do a wide variety of strength and conditioning exercises with KBs, more than with a barbell. Check out Mark Wildman and Eric Leija for KB movements.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JustTheDad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Going to be a naysayer on kettle bells. Swinging exercises are a great way to injure yourself. Sort of like cross fit. I'm not saying they can't be used safely, I'm just saying I don't recommend them because I think there are better options that won't risk your rotator cuff as much.

I do think push ups, suspension trainer rows (Golds Gym option at Walmart) or pull ups (not easy for you to start with), side planks, and some spin lock dumbbells to let you do goblet squats, military presses, and RDLs, will get you started for very little investment.

If you simply want a home gym and know it will get used, then I agree with a power rack, bar, and weights on top of the above. Add a couple of stall mats, and you have a decent and safe place to lift. It comes down to what you will used and how much you want to spend. I started with the power rack/bench/barbell and plates, a suspension trainer, push up stands, spin lock dumbbells up to 25lbs, and a concept 2 rower. The only things significant I've added have been an open trap bar, bumper plates, fixed dumbbells to 45lbs, and a functional trainer. That last is a luxury and not a great "bang for your buck" piece, especially since I got a Bravo. I would recommend everything but the FT if you want a frugal gym.

If you can't buy used, I'd go REP fitness power rack and an IronMaster Super Pro Bench as the near gym quality options. I have a rogue rack and the ironmaster bench now. All that said, building a garage gym will be much cheaper in 6 months when everyone sells what they bought during the pandemic. If you can wait on the rack/bench/barbell/plates, then I'd only get the first sentence of the above paragraph!

editing to add: If you get a rack, strap safeties are awesome. Also, you asked about Sorinex and nobody commented. Their stuff is beautiful. If money is no object, that's who's stuff I'd buy. Almost wish I'd splurged at the start, but I didn't know both my kids, my kids friends, me, and my wife, would actually use the gym a lot. No real regrets with Rogue, but REP has numbered holes and cost less, so I recommend their racks more now.
    Last edited by JustTheDad; 02-05-2021 at 07:15 PM.