OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Yet another "is it unwise to bulk" post (Bulking at like 18% BF)

I'm 5'11, 176lbs and my waist measurement is around 38.5in. I'd like to clean bulk up to about 190, but I still have fat from my last bulk. It's hard to keep weight on doing BJJ every other night, so I feel like cutting the extra fat won't be too difficult in my case if I do go a few over. Unless I hit a ****ty point with body fat. I don't want to bulk if I'm over 20% BF. From my numbers above, I'm guessing I'm around 18%? I'd like to stay under 20%, but don't care about being shredded. Been a skinny bish my whole life and need to get big already. I don't want to be fat either though.

TL;DR: I attached a picture, am I too fat to bulk again?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by OralB; 01-16-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You might be over 20%, in my inexpert opinion. You should be able to put on muscle while maintaining weight. I wouldn't gain weight though. 38.5 in waist is the red flag for me.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'd eat maint. for 175-180 and go for 4months on a program centered around compounds. Once you stall on being able to lift more on compounds for like 3-5 workouts, then cut or adjust to higher. You'll probably be at 175 15% by then anyway if you go all out.

Edit- I'm not sure on your current bodyfat right now, hard to judge off one torso pic but might be a little higher than 18%.
    Last edited by ezra76; 01-16-2021 at 09:40 AM.

OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50) OralB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ezra76 View Post
    I'd eat maint. for 175-180 and go for 4months on a program centered around compounds. Once you stall on being able to lift more on compounds for like 3-5 workouts, then cut or adjust to higher. You'll probably be at 175 15% by then anyway if you go all out.

Edit- I'm not sure on your current bodyfat right now, hard to judge off one torso pic but might be a little higher than 18%.
    Thanks a lot, around 15% and ~175 is right where I'd like to be, especially if I'm probably higher than 18% currently. I'll eat at maintenance then and find a good compound program. Fierce5 has been good to me, is that a good compound program? Also, should I keep trying to add more weight then just maintain when I plateau?

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by OralB View Post
    Thanks a lot, around 15% and ~175 is right where I'd like to be, especially if I'm probably higher than 18% currently. I'll eat at maintenance then and find a good compound program. Fierce5 has been good to me, is that a good compound program? Also, should I keep trying to add more weight then just maintain when I plateau?
    I've never done it but I've always done compounds - Bench, Seated/Standing BB press, Squat, Deadlift, Rows as primary exercises. It comes highly recommended though.

So when you stall, like really stall not just one crappy workout, then you'll know you are going to need to eat more if you want to continue gaining strength. You pretty much are in cut mode already at this point as your muscle mass has caught up with your maintenance.

A "bulk", especially one that's almost 15lbs.., is totally unnecessary at your current bodyfat.

metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Recomp man. Unless you’re elite or advanced levels, it should be possible to put on muscle mass on maintainence calories or small deficit/surplus. It will be slower than bulking/cutting but you won’t have to go through hell and back changing up your body fat percentage.

I have early intermediate levels so I am definitely weaker than some ppl on this forum, yet I had no issue getting bigger pecs and lats within a month of recomping.