CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Which routine is better for a novice looking for size and strength?

So I'm trying to decide which routine is better, 1. Or 2.

1. full body 3x a week:

WORKOUT A:

Bench press 3 sets

Squat 3 sets

Pullup 3 sets

Romanian deadlift 3 sets

Standing DB shoulder press 3 sets

Facepulls 2 sets

Curls 3 sets

WORKOUT B:

Deadlift conventional 1 set 5 reps

Incline DB bench 3 sets

Squat 3 sets

Chest supported BB row 3 sets

Lateral raise 3 sets

OH triceps extension 3 sets

Ab work is supersetted with certain exercises

2. Upper lower

UPPER 1:
    Bench 3 sets
    Pull ups 3 sets
    Incline bench 3 sets
    Rows 3 sets
    Standing DB shoulder press 3 sets
    Lateral raise 3 sets
    Facepull 2 sets
    Biceps/Triceps 3 sets supersetting each

LOWER 1:
    Squat 6 sets
    Romanian deadlift 3 sets
    Conventional deadlift 1 set 5 reps
    Crunches 2 sets

UPPER 2:
    Chest dip 3 sets
    Pullups/rows 3 sets (e.g. first week pullups, 2nd week rows and so on)
    Shoulder press/laterals 3 sets (e.g. first week shoulder press, 2nd week laterals and so on)
    Facepull 2 sets
    Biceps/Triceps 3 sets superset each

LOWER 2:
    Front squat 3 sets
    Romanian deadlift 3 sets
    Conventional deadlift 1 set 5 reps
    Ab work 4 sets

Same weekly.sets and mostly same exercises, just slight variations here and there. That said, what would be better for a novice?

I am.not a complete beginner, I have been lifting slightly over a year but took a break for half a year last year and got back into lifting two months ago. I still don't have solid strength foundation so I guess I'm still a novice
    Last edited by CheekyCuntt; 01-15-2021 at 07:40 PM.

metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sets or reps? It would really help.

If you rather do full body, do something like Fierce 5 or the Viking's Barebones. Alternatively, I'd recommend Westside for Skinny Bastards or Candito's Linear Program if you wanna do the Upper/Lower routine.

You'll progress faster on Full body though Upper/Lower is probably more fun. Either way, you'll grow and your choice shouldn't matter in 10 years (if you wanna lift for life)

EDIT: Fierce 5 and Viking's both have upper/lower variations if you're interested.

CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CheekyCuntt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by metallick View Post
    Sets or reps? It would really help.

If you rather do full body, do something like Fierce 5 or the Viking's Barebones. Alternatively, I'd recommend Westside for Skinny Bastards or Candito's Linear Program if you wanna do the Upper/Lower routine.

You'll progress faster on Full body though Upper/Lower is probably more fun. Either way, you'll grow and your choice shouldn't matter in 10 years (if you wanna lift for life)

EDIT: Fierce 5 and Viking's both have upper/lower variations if you're interested.
    for this routine the rep.range is 6-10 for compound lifts, 8-10 for Romanian deadlifts and 8-12 for isolation movements and facepulls

metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In that case, I'd probably go with Viking's. The routine operates on a rep goal system where you do something like "get 25 reps within 3 sets" though you'll likely be working with the 6-10 rep ranges for most sets. It's exercise selection is pretty similar to your FB setup. Plenty of people ran it as beginners and got good results so please check that out.

Originally Posted by metallick View Post
    In that case, I'd probably go with Viking's. The routine operates on a rep goal system where you do something like "get 25 reps within 3 sets" though you'll likely be working with the 6-10 rep ranges for most sets. It's exercise selection is pretty similar to your FB setup. Plenty of people ran it as beginners and got good results so please check that out.
    cheers for the suggestion will.check it

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cheeky****t View Post
    for this routine the rep.range is 6-10 for compound lifts, 8-10 for Romanian deadlifts and 8-12 for isolation movements and facepulls
    6-8 is fine for compounds, including RDL.

^ All the programs above are good. There's also RTS and BB Medicine.

In your routine, why do RDL before conv. DL?
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    6-8 is fine for compounds, including RDL.

^ All the programs above are good. There's also RTS and BB Medicine.

In your routine, why do RDL before conv. DL?
    oh yeah that should be conv before

Could chest dips substitute the bench press? And could front squats sub back squat?

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    oh yeah that should be conv before

Could chest dips substitute the bench press? And could front squats sub back squat?
    I don't do dips, can't answer that.

Only downside to front squats is that you can't load the muscles with as much weight as a back squat variation. So I wouldn't do them as the main squat movement.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Any program you can stick to for more than a week would be pretty good.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Any program you can stick to for more than a week would be pretty good.
    that's funny cause I've been doing full.body for two months

And I'm deciding whether to switch it to 4 days per week and save money by going to a chittier gym or to pay a bit more for a better gym and go 3 days per week, hence why I make these threads

2,400 posts in 17 months

Strong life

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    2,400 posts in 17 months

Strong life
    It's called focus. You should try it some time.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

that's funny cause I've been doing full.body for two months

And I'm deciding whether to switch it to 4 days per week and save money by going to a chittier gym or to pay a bit more for a better gym and go 3 days per week, hence why I make these threads

2,400 posts in 17 months

Strong life
    I mean it probably doesn’t matter too much if your exercise selection and rep ranges are consistent. Just the arrangement throughout the week is a bit off. If you train muscles 2x week then 3x a week on the next, whatever

Of course if you keep doing random chit like only do chest flies one week, bench next, etc you’re probably sabotaging progress.

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    I don't do dips, can't answer that.

Only downside to front squats is that you can't load the muscles with as much weight as a back squat variation. So I wouldn't do them as the main squat movement.
    IMO front squats are fine as a main squat movement. SSB too. The forward shift in center of mass and the longer ROM pretty much cancel out the load disparity. The research supports this too. ~20% less load with a front squat still produces equal stimulus as the back squat when exertion is matched. I think the issue with fronts is that they take a while to become a solid leg builder, due to mobility/core weakness, which is time wasted with suboptimal weights. A good strategy would be to keep back squats in there while you work on front squat form before making the switch if you choose.

2,400 posts in 17 months

Strong life
    Come on man, don’t be like that. His advice might be a little provocative on this occasion, but it’s regular posters that keep this place running which allows you to get answers to questions like these. Certainly wouldn’t imply someone has no life for taking time to help others.

Anyway, both those routines look good for the most part. I personally prefer upper/lower routines and even more so since it would save you money. My only gripe would be conv and rdls on the same day, but it’s only 1 set of conv so I guess that’s fine. Would also alternate shoulder press/incline each day instead of doing both in the same session. Reps look fine. Rep goals are good too as per the suggestion above. Keep consistent and you should see results either route you choose.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Could chest dips substitute the bench press?
    Sure, but IMO it's a better supplement than substitute - just pay attention to how your shoulders feel over time since they can be a shoulder killer esp with age/mileage.

If you don't like BP much, you could just do a low incline instead of both BP and incline press since that Upper 1 day already looks unbalanced with the 3 presses.