jakekarch is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Catabolism during fat-loss phase. Why?

My name is Jake.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm at a loss.

I'm trying to lose fat, I'm roughly 11.5% bodyfat @ 173.6lb. Daily I consume 2,300 calories. Fat 35% 89g, 30% carb 172g, 35% protein 202g. I work 4 tens at a saw-mill, but it isn't real physical. I train 6 days a week, following the Swole and Strong program day 1 Heavy Legs, day 2 Heavy Push, day 3 Heavy Pull, day 4 Light Legs, day 5 Light Push, day 6 Light pull, day 7 Rest. I jog on the treadmill for 10 minutes before each session, and each session is approx 90 minutes long including cardio. I was intermittent fasting last week, I'm modifying that this week and eating 50g of protein outside of my feeding window. 25g when I get up, and 25g right before bed.

But this week I lost 2lb of lean mass, not fat. I lost like .2lb of fat, according to my waist, neck, and weight measurement.

Someone please help. I worked so hard to gain this muscle.

I have a supplement list available if needed.

Please will someone help me target the fat and not the lean mass.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jakekarch View Post

But this week I lost 2lb of lean mass, not fat. I lost like .2lb of fat, according to my waist, neck, and weight measurement.
    That isn't how you measure muscle or fat loss... you didn't lose 2lb of muscle...

If you're maintaining strength or getting stronger, you're definitely not losing muscle.

I would avoid any kind of measurement process beyond strength in the gym and looking in the mirror to see how your body composition is changing. Methods of measurement for fat and lean tissue are HIGHLY inaccurate even when using things like DEXA scans.

Just focus on losing fat and staying as strong as possible, the rest will take care of itself.

Also, FYI, there is ZERO reason to use %'s to distribute your calories...
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Let me guess...
    A machine told you you lost lean mass. Do you understand that lean mass includes water?
    You guy have to just STOP freaking out over this sh#t. No really....
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

jakekarch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks Adam and Tommy for your help. I did lose some strength. So I think I'll bump up my calories to 2400-2500 and stop studying the numbers so much. I don't want to drop weight that quickly. And I love getting stronger, not less. Still have a lot to learn myself.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    So you lost 2lbs this week (as mentioned, was probably not all muscle) but what about previous weeks - what has been the average weekly loss - and for how many weeks?

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    like they said, don't overcomplicate it

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    So you lost 2lbs this week (as mentioned, was probably not all muscle) but what about previous weeks - what has been the average weekly loss - and for how many weeks?
    Yes, when did you start to cut back your cals?
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    like they said, don't overcomplicate it
    Exactly. I was 190.6 last Monday and 187.4 this morning (and my wife bought 5guys burgers for dinner last night). My point is you can't be looking at every .1 lbs. every day.

You may lose some strength on a cut but it doesn't mean you are losing muscle. I did pretty major cut from about 14% to 11% years ago and I lost a little strength. You will definitely have stronger maxes with a higher bodyfat. Why do you think powerlifters and strongmen are pretty much always above 20% bf unless they are going into a weight class competition.

edit- I'm just reading the comment you said you love to get stronger, not less. This is probably a decision you have to make on which is more important to you. In my experience getting stronger required staying around 15-16% bodyfat, which is what I want to do now. Being super ripped looks cool but down side was not feeling that great physically and not nearly as strong and energetic as at 3-4% higher. Plus I'm married, who gives a $hit

one more edit... I recommend doing the cardio after instead of before.
    Last edited by ezra76; 01-16-2021 at 08:03 AM.