N5.1BU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pain inside left arm/ elbow

tl;dr - my left inner arm started hurting last year to the point i couldn't exercise. done all the right things including rest. it still hurts. Help please!

im 48, moderately fit /healthy for the real world, not so much compared to you guys. I have a home 'gym' and during lockdown last year moved to 5 days a week working out. nothing too fancy lot of bodyweight stuff, and then squats/pressing/dlifts with moderate weight, curls/shoulders etc managed to get up to 10 pull ups and chin ups. and then..

everytime i did pull ups my inner arm would hurt. and then hurt after. gave it a week off. returned -still hurt. chins - less so. then it started spreading to anything involving bending my arms - curls, rows, even pressups.

go physio at my GP. he tells me im uneven says stop everything and do physio exercises. i do. it doesn't work. i go back he says carry on for longer. i say i cant stop training for what would then be 8 weeks.

watch some videos they offer other treatments /exercises. i try them. no improvement.

so i bit the bullet, ive done no upper body exercises for 2 months. (still run, do leg and back work and a little b/w stuff). figure i'll return in the new year refreshed.

you've guessed how this ends. back in the gym this week cant manage two pull ups - not because of strength failure, but because of the pain. im at my wicks end now so any advice or experiences that could help would be gratefully received

thanks

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Is he diagnosing it as tendonitis?

neondevil is a name known to all. (+5000) neondevil is a name known to all. (+5000) neondevil is a name known to all. (+5000) neondevil is a name known to all. (+5000) neondevil is a name known to all. (+5000) neondevil is a name known to all. (+5000) neondevil is a name known to all. (+5000) neondevil is a name known to all. (+5000) neondevil is a name known to all. (+5000) neondevil is a name known to all. (+5000) neondevil is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Have you been for a massage at all? You could have scar tissue in your forearm or bicep that needs to break up.

You can also use: https://www.amazon.com/Strengthener-...658511&sr=8-23

[QUOTE=neondevil;1628583993]Have you been for a massage at all? You could have scar tissue in your forearm or bicep that needs to break up. /QUOTE]

sorry just learned to quote (URL removed im too new)

no, lockdown means no rubbing from unknown females... machine looks like a good idea..thank you

Originally Posted by ezra76 View Post
    Is he diagnosing it as tendonitis?
    medial epicondylitus (sp!?) - so i guess. i asked why i didnt have it in both arms, he said cos im "lopsided"/ uneven... he then spent ages prodding my back and telling me it was weak which was dissappointing

bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bigcat3655 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Any loss of feeling in your fingers? I detached my ulnar nerve in my left arm a couple years ago and at first they diagnosed it as tendonitis. It wasn't until I was in PT that the therapist actually correctly diagnosed it. She was having me move my arm a certain way and the nerve popped. She had the same injury in the past so she was able to recognize that it wasn't tendonitis when that happened. I lost feeling in my pinky finger and one half of my ring finger

Originally Posted by bigcat3655 View Post
    Any loss of feeling in your fingers? I detached my ulnar nerve in my left arm a couple years ago and at first they diagnosed it as tendonitis. It wasn't until I was in PT that the therapist actually correctly diagnosed it. She was having me move my arm a certain way and the nerve popped. She had the same injury in the past so she was able to recognize that it wasn't tendonitis when that happened. I lost feeling in my pinky finger and one half of my ring finger
    no finger/hand seems ok. no loss of grip strength, can still play guitar. that sounds terrible though - have they sorted it?

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by N5.1BU View Post
    medial epicondylitus (sp!?) - so i guess. i asked why i didnt have it in both arms, he said cos im "lopsided"/ uneven... he then spent ages prodding my back and telling me it was weak which was dissappointing
    I googled it. Yes it comes up as golfers elbow. I had it bad when I used to golf and went to the driving range way too much. I'd try to get it looked into further if it doesn't go away soon. Mine went away in like 3-4 weeks of resting, only playing on the actual course after that. Basically it should just be an inflamed tendon if that's what it actually is.

My wife gave me this stuff when I had a strained hip and she used it for shoulder strain, worked great. Says it's for arthritis but worked. I'm about to put some on my knees. https://www.voltarengel.com/what-is-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Originally Posted by ezra76 View Post
    I googled it. Yes it comes up as golfers elbow. I had it bad when I used to golf and went to the driving range way too much. I'd try to get it looked into further if it doesn't go away soon. Mine went away in like 3-4 weeks of resting, only playing on the actual course after that. Basically it should just be an inflamed tendon if that's what it actually is.

My wife gave me this stuff when I had a strained hip and she used it for shoulder strain, worked great. Says it's for arthritis but worked. I'm about to put some on my knees.
    ah ok, we have that - we call it voltarol (!) - i'll get some. I agree it needs looking at again, i wont get into the issues of UK health care suffice to say you get what you're given and with Covid thats even less. But I'll go back and ask for a refferal.

thanks i appreciate the advice/time... hope you stay well

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck. There's no surefire fix and anything that does work will take weeks to months to do the job.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you taking a statin for cholesterol? Because for the longest time I had hip pain and elbow pain and finally figured out it was the statin so I stopped taking it. I'm 55 btw, not 51.

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just sounds like golfer's elbow, a very annoying and tedious injury but can be healed by self rehabbing.

Here's good video of exercises to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIYD...SU1Wme&index=4

Originally Posted by TomGallopavo View Post
    Are you taking a statin for cholesterol? Because for the longest time I had hip pain and elbow pain and finally figured out it was the statin so I stopped taking it. I'm 55 btw, not 51.
    no thankfully im not - or indeed on any other regular medication - so its not that. Thanks for the suggestion though - i hope you have sorted the issue for you

Originally Posted by adamgentile View Post
    Just sounds like golfer's elbow, a very annoying and tedious injury but can be healed by self rehabbing.

Here's good video of exercises to do.
    thank you - that's exactly the exercises ive been doing so its good to get further confirmation im 'doing the right thing'. he explains them better than some of the other videos i watched so thank you for sharing it

culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Get a Theraband Flexbar and do the "Reverse Tyler twist" exercise.

Mine was so bad a couldn't press my hands together to wash them. When I started with this exercise, it felt like the tendon was being ripped from the bone but when I was done it would feel better for a while. After about a month I was fine. I didn't even stop lifting.

Recently a buddy of mine had a case of tennis elbow and asked if I knew a way to get rid of it. I lent him my Flexbar and told him to do the "Tyler twist" exercise (Tyler tiwist is for tennis elbow and Reverse Tyler is for golfer's elbow). He returned it a month later and said it worked and he had no pain.

http://www.motionismedicinedfw.com/w...x-bar-Uses.pdf

http://info.thera-bandacademy.com/flexbarelbowmedial

They say to buy all three and work your way up but I just bought the blue one (highest resistance) on Amazon and did fewer reps at first.

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As I was scrolling through the posts I was going to mention the Theraband Flexbar and I see someone else did - it works!

Lifting in my 50’s and and another hobby of archery which can also be bad on the tendons I was getting occasional flare ups in my elbows. It took a few weeks with the Flexbar and they were gone. I now use it a couple days a week as prevention and have not had any problems.

Another key is learning to relax your grip as much as possible on the various lifts. I started using wrist straps on some of my pull exercises including pull-ups / chin-ups. Not because I needed help holding the weight but because it allows me to relax my grip some which puts less stress on the tendons.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008