AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I switch to one quad focused leg day and one hamstring focused leg day?

I've been doing this leg workout so far in my PPL split and my quads are still sore when the next leg day comes and I often need to delay it:

- Lying Hamstring Curl: WU 3-4 sets increasing the weight, until I reach my workload, then 3x10-12
    - Leg Press: WU 4-5 sets, then 3x12-15
    - Pendulum Squat: 3x10-12
    - Leg Extensions: 3x10-12
    - Standing Calf Raise: 3x10-12

I gotta say this kills my quads the next few days, but my hamstrings dont take a good beating. I even press with my feet fairly wide and high.

So I figured I might keep this as a quad focused leg workout and add a hamstring focused one:

- Lunges: 2-3 WU sets, 3x10-12 each leg
    - Deadlift: WU as much as I need, 3x6-8 reps / Romanian Deadlift: 3x10-12 / Stiff Leg Deadlift: 3x10-12
    - Lying Hamstring Curl: 3x10-12
    - Standing Calf Raise: 3x10-12

*WU=warmup

Does the hamstring focused one look good? I might even do 2 variations of deadlifts in it since I love deadlifting, but couldnt fit in in a PPL since now. Maybe DLs and SLDLs? Also are hamstrings worked more on a sumo or conventional? I prefer conventional, but dont mind doing either.

I also have had a minor injury from T Bar Rows 2-3 months ago (lower back popped a little). Nothing severe tho. It only makes my leg press slightly unconfortable, but nothing to worry about. So I guess I could deadlift just fine.
    Last edited by AndyBendy; 01-13-2021 at 11:02 PM.

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not a fan of ‘x muscle focused’ days. It would make sense if you’re trying to bring up a lagging muscle, but intentionally lowering the stimulus of each muscle group on the others respective ‘focused’ day doesn’t seem logical to me. Total weekly volume is important, sure, but I would much prefer to equally distribute that throughout the week as opposed to lumping it all in one session. A lot would depend on how it’s set up, though.

In your case, you’re borderline hitting each muscle group once a week. 3 sets of hamstring curls and calling it a day is pretty barebones and almost a waste of time IMO. Then you have all those deadlift variations on your hamstring focused day diminishing your stimulus returns with each subsequent exercise. I guarantee your second deadlift variation for the day would be notably weaker than if you were to do it as your first hamstring movement on the other leg day. So you’re basically doing the same work for less stimulus by the end of the week.

Again, my opinion... but if it keeps you consistent then that’s what matters most at the end of the day.

AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndyBendy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by leidenesLK View Post
    Not a fan of ‘x muscle focused’ days. It would make sense if you’re trying to bring up a lagging muscle, but intentionally lowering the stimulus of each muscle group on the others respective ‘focused’ day doesn’t seem logical to me. Total weekly volume is important, sure, but I would much prefer to equally distribute that throughout the week as opposed to lumping it all in one session. A lot would depend on how it’s set up, though.

In your case, you’re borderline hitting each muscle group once a week. 3 sets of hamstring curls and calling it a day is pretty barebones and almost a waste of time IMO. Then you have all those deadlift variations on your hamstring focused day diminishing your stimulus returns with each subsequent exercise. I guarantee your second deadlift variation for the day would be notably weaker than if you were to do it as your first hamstring movement on the other leg day. So you’re basically doing the same work for less stimulus by the end of the week.

Again, my opinion... but if it keeps you consistent then that’s what matters most at the end of the day.
    Would something like this benefit me more then?

Legs 1:

- Lying Hams Curls
    - Leg Press
    - RDL
    - Leg Extensions
    - Calf Raise

Legs 2:

- Lying Hams Curls
    - Stiff Legs DL
    - Pendulum Squat
    - Leg Extensions
    - Calf Raise

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AndyBendy View Post
    Would something like this benefit me more then?

Legs 1:

- Lying Hams Curls
    - Leg Press
    - RDL
    - Leg Extensions
    - Calf Raise

Legs 2:

- Lying Hams Curls
    - Stiff Legs DL
    - Pendulum Squat
    - Leg Extensions
    - Calf Raise
    Yep, I would say so. I’d change the order of the exercises.

Legs 1

RDL
    Leg Press
    Leg Curl
    Leg Extensions
    Calves

Legs 2

Pendulum Squat
    Stiff-Leg DL
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curl
    Calves

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There’s nothing wrong with having more focus given to one muscle group over the other on a day.

Realistically you only have so much to give in a session so exercises later will invariably suffer, so biasing the volume can be beneficial and lead to higher quality work overall.

Originally Posted by Filmbuff81 View Post
    Realistically you only have so much to give in a session so exercises later will invariably suffer, so biasing the volume can be beneficial and lead to higher quality work overall.
    Agreed, but it depends how it’s done. I would argue that localized muscle fatigue is just as likely to impede performance as systemic fatigue, which is what happens on ‘focus’ days.

You have to look at it by the end of the week if the goal is hypertrophy. In this case, the intra-workout focus is there for each muscle group but by the end of the week he hasn’t really focused on anything since that second session is heavily reduced. It cancels out the ‘focus’ from the view of total weekly stimulus. So by the end of the week he has 1 ‘focused’ day that’s possibly impacted by localized muscle fatigue and 1 very low stimulus day. IMO, equal attention both days adds up to greater weekly stimulus in this case.