metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Doing decline bench + chest supported rows on the Viking's Gladiator/Warrior routine?

Been on full body workouts for the longest time and I've had no issue progressing weekly- be it doing additional reps or adding plates to the bar. Been seeing growth to my chest, arms and upper back (not lats sadly). I do intend on changing up my workouts just for the sake of novelty, plus I noticed I've been slacking on vertical presses (been doing incline bench instead).

Are there any issues with swapping bench for decline and swapping barbell rows for chest supported rows on Viking's? The flat bench irritates my shoulder on higher percentages, but it feels perfectly fine when I train with decline or incline regardless of the weight on the bar. As for barbell rows, I never felt them properly so I swapped them for a chest-supported T-bar row with a wide overhand grip- my upper back began growing again. I don't do regular DB curls because I have a minor wrist injury in my left hand that flares up when I curl with a supinated grip. Doesn't flare up when I do any other exercise.

FWIW this was the routine I've been doing. As for progression, I just add weight when I hit the max of the rep range for all sets

Workout A:
    Squats (work up to a heavy single and continually add 5 lbs till I fail ;sounds stupid but progressed from a max of 285 lbs to 340 lbs within a month lol)
    Decline bench 3x8-10
    T-bar row 3x8-10
    Face Pull 2x15
    Hammer Curls 2x10-12
    Pushdown 2x10-12

Workout B:
    Deadlift (same programming with squats; somehow never had issues adding weight)
    Incline Press 3x8-10
    Pulldown 4x10
    Cable Crunch 3x10-15
    Hammer Curls 2x10-12
    Pushdown 2x10-12
    Last edited by metallick; 01-13-2021 at 01:59 PM.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Doesn't really matter...

Just pick a thing,stick to it, get the work in and don't have ****arounditis
    FMH crew Tank

The right answer is usually "it depends" And those that talk in absolutes should almost certainly be ignored unless you want to buy their stuff.

Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mortar34 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd do weighted dips before decline bench. The last time I touched the decline bench was my first time.

Anyway, what he said.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Doesn't really matter...

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid."

"I don't know how I'm going to win, I just know I'm not going to lose."

MFC

metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50) metallick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Doesn't really matter...

You sir just convinced me to stick my original routine.

If ain't broke, don't fix it.

Originally Posted by Mortar34 View Post
    I'd do weighted dips before decline bench. The last time I touched the decline bench was my first time.

Anyway, what he said.
    YMMV I suppose. From the threads I read around here, decline is easier on the shoulders. This is a statement I agreed with since I can go heavy without worrying of damaging a joint.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by metallick View Post
    YMMV I suppose. From the threads I read around here, decline is easier on the shoulders. This is a statement I agreed with since I can go heavy without worrying of damaging a joint.
    Certainly not a universal truth... Much like the bull**** line of "close grip is better for shoulder health".. Whatever means (it doesn't mean anything..)

About 30% of the population can't dip and are equally affected by commercial declines.

And many people tollerate wide grip much better than cg due to less rotational demands. And no issues with horizontal abd/add.

The big qualifier is... It depends. 😏😉
    FMH crew Tank

The right answer is usually "it depends" And those that talk in absolutes should almost certainly be ignored unless you want to buy their stuff.

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Certainly not a universal truth... Much like the bull**** line of "close grip is better for shoulder health".. Whatever means (it doesn't mean anything..)

About 30% of the population can't dip and are equally affected by commercial declines.

And many people tollerate wide grip much better than cg due to less rotational demands. And no issues with horizontal abd/add.

The big qualifier is... It depends. 😏😉
    This. It’s too individual. Dips are murder on my shoulders, so I avoid them at all costs. Haven’t done decline in long enough to accurately judge. The last time I did decline was during that whole “decline activates chest better than flat” phase.