gag1989 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Abdominal Fat Solutions?

Hey there.

I've been trying to figure out a strategy with which to attack stubborn belly fat. While I've improved health parameters across the board over the two years I've been working out, I'm struggling with a roll of saggy gut which doesn't seem to be changing much superficially. Would appreciate any advice on how I can work toward fixing it.

A little background.

I'm 31, 5' 10" tall, and weigh 71 kgs at present (down 30 kgs over two years). I work out regularly - I hit weights on all weekday mornings (focus on strength and progressive overload), commute mostly by bike, and run 5k on weekend mornings. Sometimes my trainer shakes things up a bit by pushing in a crossfit day here and there, or I take an endurance bike ride (50k +). My diet has been hovering around maintenance levels - I estimate I'm having around 2500-3000 calories a day - and I've stayed in the 70-72 kgs band for a few months now. On the supplement front, I've been taking whey isolate and would clock my daily protein intake at around 120-150g a day. I've also been taking Hydroxycut, but it's only been a few days. Never had any steroids, in the gym or for health generally.

The attachment gives you a sense of where I am right now. I'd really like that roll to be replaced with a flatter profile for now. Six packs and pecs can come later.

From what I understand, the options I can pursue are:
    - Keep up with the existing regime and just be patient
    - Eat more (but stay clean) and try to pack some muscle
    - Wait and watch for any Hydroxycut induced boost
    - [edited]
    - Get surgery

Interested to know what the more experienced folk here have to say about this. Shoot me with your finest.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 01-13-2021 at 12:26 AM.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, you need to edit your post, not allowed to discuss illegal supplements on this forum.

I dont think cutting further is going to help you because you lack overall muscle mass. The only way you can even partially begin to fix your issue is to build more with the hopes of stretching the fat (and loose skin) you have out over increased mass.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's a combination of needing to lose a little more fat (adding muscle will help too) - and having some loose skin.

I'm not the expert on loose skin perhaps others can chime in. I can tell you that fat loss is entirely about creating a calorie deficit, everything else is peripheral, including: "clean" eating, supplements, drugs - although they might make it easier to maintain the calorie deficit.

BTW steroids and clen are banned substances in most US territories so we can't discuss it on this forum.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Were you overweight before? That looks like loose skin. Regardless, the only way to lose the fat is to diet it off however in your case you may want to forgo any more loss and concentrate on building muscle instead
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Thanks for the advice, all. Apologies on the clen/steroid talk - didn't know that it wasn't allowed here.

To clarify for Tommy W, I was overweight before - 100 kgs, almost 2 years ago. Its definitely not loose skin though, more substantial fat there.

Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by gag1989 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, all. Apologies on the clen/steroid talk - didn't know that it wasn't allowed here.

To clarify for Tommy W, I was overweight before - 100 kgs, almost 2 years ago. Its definitely not loose skin though, more substantial fat there.
    yeah you have the stretched skin that will usually be a byproduct of previous excess fat and the longer you were at that heavier weight the more significant. You just still have some fat so you either need to work on it or add muscle and come back later to deal with the fat. I’d do the latter as losing enough fat overall to lose that area you’ll be too thin.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000)

The wrinkly appearance gives it away as loose skin, IMO. Skin isn't paper thin, so you're probably feeling the subdermal fat and thinking you need to cut to get rid of it when in reality it's just all the loose skin piled up in that spot.

I'm no expert in dealing with loose skin, but I doubt that adding mass to your abdomen is going to resolve your issue. Your abs aren't something that you're likely to be able to 'bulk' so that they stretch it out and make it unnoticeable. I'd say definitely work on adding clean mass, but talk to a surgeon about whether that loose skin can be treated somehow or simply needs to be removed.

At 5'10 and around 156lbs, I don't think you need to be taking weight loss supps.
    Last edited by bradlehman; 01-14-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Originally Posted by bradlehman View Post

I'm no expert in dealing with loose skin, but I doubt that adding mass to your abdomen is going to resolve your issue. .
    Adding mass to the ab area isn't the goal. Overall muscle mass is. At some point it's counterproductive to continue attempting to lose fat in the ab area as the rest of the body suffers with low muscle mass. Better to add enough muscle so that when you come back to losing the fat you have a more muscular base to work off of

bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000) bradlehman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Adding mass to the ab area isn't the goal. Overall muscle mass is. At some point it's counterproductive to continue attempting to lose fat in the ab area as the rest of the body suffers with low muscle mass. Better to add enough muscle so that when you come back to losing the fat you have a more muscular base to work off of
    Yeah, that's more or less what I recommended to him. The quoted part was my reaction to what I thought what his perception that adding mass would eliminate the loose skin in that area. He isn't going to blast his abs so they become huge and fill out that skin. With respect to that very discrete issue, the possibilities seem like surgical removal or possibly some kind of non-surgical treatment, with lifting weights being totally immaterial. Stop cutting, start bulking, and consult someone about the skin as a totally separate issue.

Thanks for the advice folks. Will definitely figure a cosmetologist consultation.

If I understood correctly, the skin issue is not something that (generally speaking) corrects itself in the longer-term?

illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks for the advice folks. Will definitely figure a cosmetologist consultation.

If I understood correctly, the skin issue is not something that (generally speaking) corrects itself in the longer-term?
    I believe it would with patience. Cutting too fast may leave some unsightly extra skin, but genetics also plays a role. Be happy with your progress!