troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Can you compensate the negative affects of cardio by simply eating more??

I’m a competitive tennis player, some semi professional experience and former college player, and play about 17-23 hours a week. Tennis at a high level is pretty high intensity cardiovascular activity.... on top of that I’ve been doing an hour of endurance training (running, cycling sessions) every day.

I know this amount of cardio sounds excessive and could have negative affects overall on my body and hormones but I’m wondering if I just ate adequate calories that it would negate some of these side affects?

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by troyparsons View Post
    I’m a competitive tennis player, some semi professional experience and former college player, and play about 17-23 hours a week. Tennis at a high level is pretty high intensity cardiovascular activity.... on top of that I’ve been doing an hour of endurance training (running, cycling sessions) every day.

I know this amount of cardio sounds excessive and could have negative affects overall on my body and hormones but I’m wondering if I just ate adequate calories that it would negate some of these side affects?
    If you’re already doing the tennis and concerned about it, why are you also adding an HOUR of running etc on top of it?

If you mean negate the calorie burn, then yes of course. Eat 7000 calories a day and you’ll definitely not lose weight.

In terms of recovery... that’s probably more a combination of sleep, rehab, nutrition, hydration, and proper stress management.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50) troyparsons will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    If you’re already doing the tennis and concerned about it, why are you also adding an HOUR of running etc on top of it?

If you mean negate the calorie burn, then yes of course. Eat 7000 calories a day and you’ll definitely not lose weight.

In terms of recovery... that’s probably more a combination of sleep, rehab, nutrition, hydration, and proper stress management.

Honestly I just enjoy the cardio...but I've been feeling pretty tired and run down lately, probably just need to eat more to accommodate the added activity.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Honestly I just enjoy the cardio...but I've been feeling pretty tired and run down lately, probably just need to eat more to accommodate the added activity.
    How long have you been doing 24-30 hours of cardio activity per week and what has your weight been doing over that time?
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Well it’s not just that, as I said...

It’s also sleep, general rest, stress management....

Cardio is only health to a certain point, and if you’re feeling negative side effects, something should probably change.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

The calories can make up for the energy balance and can aid recovery. If you gain ~1-2 pounds per month you'll be eating enough.

The ~20 hours of tennis per week won't be ideal for maximising hypertrophy of course. But I assume that's not a priority of yours.

What you can do is make sure you consume plenty of protein and carbohydrates between your strength training and other activities. This will help.

And you could separate your leg training as much as possible from your tennis training. For example if you don't play tennis in the weekends, train your legs on Saturday and get a proper rest day on Sunday.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If I read correctly, the OP doesn't do any resistance training?

I agree with Adam, there are many factors that will influence recovery and if you are starting to feel 'burned out' it may be worth managing your exercise better. It seems that the tennis is there to stay so it may be worth taking a week or two off your separate cardio completely. Food alone can only go so far to 'rejuvenate' you if you do not allow your body the time and space to mend itself between bouts. It also might be worth considering if anything else has changed recently such as the quality of your sleep or the stress in your daily job/life. These things too could be influencing how you feel. If other things in your life are sub optimal and you undertake this level of intensive exercise on a weekly basis, your energy levels are likely to suffer
    Somehow still managing to avoid getting 'too big'

Non-CEO, 0.1235K per day

Hey guys thanks for all the replies!

The only ressistance training I do is 200 pushups 2-3 days a week and 30-40 pull-ups 2-3 days a week.

I’ve definitely experienced decreased energy, haven’t weighed myself lately but I look much smaller and leaner in the mirror.

I’m 6’1 and last time I weighed myself regularly I fluctuated between 155 and 160 lb.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies!

The only ressistance training I do is 200 pushups 2-3 days a week and 30-40 pull-ups 2-3 days a week.

I’ve definitely experienced decreased energy, haven’t weighed myself lately but I look much smaller and leaner in the mirror.

I’m 6’1 and last time I weighed myself regularly I fluctuated between 155 and 160 lb.
    Your weight seems fairly normal for an endurance-style athlete... maybe a little on the light side.

However, I think your bodyfat levels would be more telling.

How lean are you?

Your weight seems fairly normal for an endurance-style athlete... maybe a little on the light side.

However, I think your bodyfat levels would be more telling.

How lean are you?
    This is how I look currently.
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    How long have you been doing 24-30 hours of cardio activity per week and what has your weight been doing over that time?
    I've been living this kind of lifestyle for quite a while now, not as much cardio outside of tennis, but I'd say 2-3 years of 2-3 hours of tennis every day. I should also mention I go on a 45-60 min walk every morning and work 30-40 hours a week at a tennis retail store so average about 12-15000 steps outside of my tennis and cardio sessions.

This is how I look currently.
    Dude... you’re like 7% bodyfat...

Of course you feel under-recovered...

You are WAY too lean for optimal performance especially doing all this endurance stuff.

Sorry but, I hold by my previous statement, you seem to have some image issues you need to let go of....

I have a history of anorexia and you’re basically as lean as I ever got... that should tell u something.

You are WAY too lean for optimal performance especially doing all this endurance stuff.

Sorry but, I hold by my previous statement, you seem to have some image issues you need to let go of....

I have a history of anorexia and you’re basically as lean as I ever got... that should tell u something.
    Yeah I do think I have some form of body dysmorphia/excercise addiction....maybe we can talk sometime about your past and what has helped you.

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I was guessing as much. I could tell from his weight and height as an athlete who likely had some appreciable muscle mass that he probably was too lean. His BMI would likely only be ok if he had little muscle to speak of, plus his symptoms sound spot-on like an ED to me. I’m honestly surprised you thought it seemed “normal” in any way. FWIW OP, I’m also a former anorexic, & I completely agree with Adam here. You’re simply too lean.

Originally Posted by Strawng View Post
    I was guessing as much. I could tell from his weight and height as an athlete who likely had some appreciable muscle mass that he probably was too lean. His BMI would likely only be ok if he had little muscle to speak of, plus his symptoms sound spot-on like an ED to me. I’m honestly surprised you thought it seemed “normal” in any way. FWIW OP, I’m also a former anorexic, & I completely agree with Adam here. You’re simply too lean.
    That’s precisely it: I figured he was simply extremely under-muscled, such that he might be at his weight around 15% BF. Every so often you’ll see endurance athletes who have sufficient bodyfat due to frame size and their total weight ends up being somewhat low, but still in the ‘normal’ BMI range.

After seeing his pictures, that is clearly not the case... he appears to have a decent amount of lean mass, but barely any fat on him.

Yeah I do think I have some form of body dysmorphia/excercise addiction....maybe we can talk sometime about your past and what has helped you.
    To be honest, these issues are so complex and individual, each persons path to improvement looks different.

My habits and addictions surrounding food and body control are likely very different from yours, even if the outcomes and symptoms appear similar.

I’ve had to do things that seem very extreme to most people, but they ultimately saved my life.

I am, however, always willing to help people struggling with this as it stole much of the joy I could have experienced from my adult life.
    Last edited by AdamWW; 01-12-2021 at 07:58 PM.

Really appreciate all the feedback guys!!

Just for reference I eat about 3300-3500 caloiries a day...weighed in today and 153 lbs so have lost some weight.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Really appreciate all the feedback guys!!

Just for reference I eat about 3300-3500 caloiries a day...weighed in today and 153 lbs so have lost some weight.
    Yeah thats probably not enough given your current level of leanness and activity level, you need at least another 1000 calories a day, if not more.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    Yeah thats probably not enough given your current level of leanness and activity level, you need at least another 1000 calories a day, if not more.
    Gotcha. I'm gonna increase by about 500 calories and see how I feel....1,000 is a lot!

Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nicksosure1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As far as exercise addiction/body image obsession goes, I've been there as well. Biggest advice would be to make yourself uncomfortable so that it becomes comfortable. In your case, once you start eating and/or resting more, you'll realize after doing so for a bit, you feel (and probably even look) a lot better.Then it becomes easier over time to get over such things.
    Life is constant learning. Give advice about things you know. Ask questions about things you don't.

*Health and Wellness Coach and Coordinator for all United Bank Branches of Alabama

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Gotcha. I'm gonna increase by about 500 calories and see how I feel....1,000 is a lot!
    Read up on glycogen replenishment.

Try oatmeal with honey, my personal favorite. Bananas are great too.