baaaaats is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Traveling - no barbell

Hey bros,

For up to a six month period, I will be traveling in my vehicle.
    Though I’ve looked at hitched based power racks, I’ve decided against this and have settled on not taking a rack or barbell with me.

Instead, I’ll have:
    -10lb, 25lb, 45lb plates (should I get a 90?)
    -35lb kettlebell (should I get a bigger one?)
    -a gorack sandbag duffel type thing, and their sandbags
    -a climbing rope for rope climbs
    -resistance bands
    -running shoes
    -I could take my spud pulleys and lat pulldown bar if needed

I am currently a fat ****.
    Stats:
    6’5
    255lbs (all fat)
    My goal is to get down to 180 with very low body fat and slowly bulk from there.
    I’m currently doing 5/3/1 on a high fat+protein/low carb diet.
    My intake is currently around 1600cal with ~170g protein/day. It seems to be working in terms of maintaining strength, since I’m lifting.
    I just started 5/3/1, but this is where I’m at with my latest lifts, which were on my first cycle of the program, week 3:
    OHP: 64x5, 74x3, 84x1
    DL: 154x5, 174x3, 214x3
    Bench: 114x5, 134x3, 164x1
    Squat: 114x5, 134x3, 164x1
    I do accessory work like pushups, negative or isometric pullups (since I’m too fat), Ivanko gripper, resistance band work, lat pulldowns, and (I’m supposed to be doing) suitcase carries with a 45lb plate.

I really want to get strong, badly, but I also need to shed this wait before doing anything else. I gained it all within the past three years and I feel disgusting.

While I travel, I’m lucky enough that I’ll be able to maintain my diet. There will be some camping involved so I’m sure I might have to eat back a few hundred calories each day.

What exercises can I do using the above gear that will allow me to maintain (or grow since I’m a whale) while losing weight?

I will have access to campgrounds and trees foe mounting the spud and rope to. I will have my truck.

Exclamation

Bump

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The Spud pulleys, plates, and kettlebell will give you good results in that situation. I'd get 2 or 3 more kettlebells and use those for a combination of strength and cardio.

Exercises you could do:
    Banded or weighted pushups (plate on your back)
    One arm bench press
    Chest flyes
    Rows
    Pullups from something
    Goblet squats
    Weighted step-ups
    Walking lunges
    Kettlebell swings
    1 leg RDL
    Shoulder press
    Sandbag running carries

Those wouldn't fit exactly in 531, but they'd be good enough to maintain muscle and improve conditioning.

For kettlebell exercises, check out Mark Wildman and Eric Leija.
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

Question

Thank you for the reply.
    Given my lack of strength and weight, and the fact that I’m going to be on a fairly intense calorie restriction, do you have suggestions on specific programming in regards to volume and progression that would be appropriate for someone cutting?
    I chose 5/3/1 with light accessory work for the above reason because 5x5 was simply burning me out hard on a 1000cal deficit.

Exclamation

Bump

Bump

jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For a calorie deficit that big, I think cardio will help a lot just to let you eat a more normal amount and make it easier to get enough protein and fat on the deficit. Bike riding burns a lot of calories (IMO more than anything else) and the bonus is fat people can do it (as opposed to running) and you get to explore around the camping areas you'll be staying.

As for equipment on the road, I think bands and dumbbells are sufficient. Upper body is easy enough without special equipment, but bands and dumbbells make some exercises a lot easier (especially if bodyweight stuff like handstand pushups and pull ups are out due to being overweight), and provide more resistance for legs, such as split squats and romanian deadlift (2 leg or 1 leg).
    2022 -- Just maintaining and doing the van life
    April 2021.................16 week cut.................168 lbs
    2020......................375 / 285 / 505..............186 lbs
    Pre-COVID..............335 / 295 / 499..............185 lbs
    July 1, 2019................9 week cut.................164 lbs
    Late April 2019.........285 / 275 / 440.............178 lbs
    Oct, 2018..............175x6 / 145x6 / 275x5......163 lbs