JBB2021 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Curcumin to reverse fibrosis?

Greetings,

I know this is a bit of a long walk and a long shot, but:

I've struggled with lifting-related repetitive strain injuries/overuse injuries (I'll call these RSI for short) for years. With rest the pain goes away, but with activity (lifting) it comes back, even with very slow reintroduction. As the years have gone on, the pain has tended to get worse, and the amount I can do pain free has grown less.

One feature of RSI is fibrosis. (I could not post links to support this statement because I haven't posted enough on the forum yet, but Goodling "RSI fibrosis" should bring up relevant studies).

Recently, however, researchers were able to reverse RSI-induced fibrosis in animals. Again, I can't post the link, but it's in a sciencedaily article from March of 2020. The drug they used, FG-3019, appears experimental, and it will likely be years until it is adequately tested for use in humans. FG-3019 acts by inhibiting CCN2, a protein.

Which brings me to another study, which conluded, "Curcumin could effectively inhibit CCN2 expression through JNK suppression." (Again, apologies, can't post the link).

I realize there are all kinds of limitations here. For one thing, the last study appears to be in vitro, and there are endless pitfalls with getting things that work in vitro to work in the human body. So with all appropriate caveats, any thoughts on curcumin as part of a strategy to reverse RSI-induced muscle fibrosis?

Thanks for your time and attention.

It's pronounced gif eatyourspinach's Avatar
    eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    are your injuries only lifting related? do you get enough protein?
    My secret? Texting between sets.

Originally Posted by eatyourspinach View Post
    are your injuries only lifting related? do you get enough protein?
    It started out being lifting related but as time as gone on it has sometimes come up with other activities as well (e.g. badminton, typing).

I eat three eggs at breakfast most days, drink kefir, and usually have some kind of meat at dinner (some chicken or pork, not huge quantities). So I think my protein intake is within a normal range, although not a ton.

eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JBB2021 View Post
    It started out being lifting related but as time as gone on it has sometimes come up with other activities as well (e.g. badminton, typing).

I eat three eggs at breakfast most days, drink kefir, and usually have some kind of meat at dinner (some chicken or pork, not huge quantities). So I think my protein intake is within a normal range, although not a ton.
    Curcumin is great for pain relief and inflammation so it's helpful for that but I'd suggest keeping track of protein intake before concluding you are suffering from muscle fibrosis though curcumin can still be useful

I'd suggest keeping track of protein intake before concluding you are suffering from muscle fibrosis
    What makes you say that? (I.e. is there a link between insufficent protein and RSI issues?).

Originally Posted by JBB2021 View Post
    What makes you say that? (I.e. is there a link between insufficent protein and RSI issues?).
    If you aren't getting enough protein to repair the damage to muscles caused by lifting your muscles might just get weaker resulting in increased incidence of injury. I'm not saying you may not be right in your assumptions, it's just something to consider.

If you aren't getting enough protein to repair the damage to muscles caused by lifting your muscles might just get weaker resulting in increased incidence of injury. I'm not saying you may not be right in your assumptions, it's just something to consider.
    Got it. Thanks!