Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

COQ10 for mitochondrial damage

My grasp of this subject is limited, so if someone could shed some light... what I do understand is that COQ10 is a crucial for healthy mitochondrial function, and that mitochondrial function is crucial for fat oxidation.

Within the last month or 2, despite no changes in diet, exercise, and overall activity level, I’ve started gaining fat. Nothing substantial—I doubt the average person would pay much thought to it on themselves—but as a body-monitoring person, it’s plainly obvious. I’ve steadily been getting bigger and leaner via calorie cycling to average out at maintenance for the last 2 years, so this is pretty alarming.

It’s just a theory, but within the last 2 months, I’ve been on 2 rounds of Clindamycin for a bad tooth infection. I’ve found some studies indicating that Clindamycin and its drug class suppress mitochondrial activity, which makes me wonder if the reason for my unprecedented fat gain is related to an altered metabolism.

So, I’m wondering if COQ10 supplementation could be beneficial to restore normal mitochondrial and metabolic function, thus fat oxidation (and ATP production). And yes, I’ve accompanied each round of antibiotics with a month-long course of probiotics. Thoughts?

P.S. I’ve been hitting my doctor up so frequently for so many reasons via e-mail that he is literally not talking to me until our appointment in a month.
    Last edited by Xpiro; 01-09-2021 at 06:57 PM.

It's pronounced gif eatyourspinach's Avatar
    eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    CoQ10 has poor bioavailability, Ubiquinol is better but I can't go as far as to say your antibiotics are causing fat gain. If I would going to propose a theory relevant to antibiotics it would be it's affect on on the bacteria involved in digestion, maybe increase your fiber intake
    My secret? Texting between sets.

Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xpiro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    On the subject with a different suspect, if not related to antibiotic use (debatably abuse), I wonder if it could be thyroid related.

I got some bloodwork done the other week, and my thyroid stimulating hormone came back at 2.15 while my T4 was at .8. This is somewhat high and low respectively, isn’t it? Still within the normal range, sure, but my TSH is up from a solid 1 from 2 years ago (haven’t had it checked since). T4’s never been drawn for before though.

Originally Posted by eatyourspinach View Post
    CoQ10 has poor bioavailability, Ubiquinol is better but I can't go as far as to say your antibiotics are causing fat gain. If I would going to propose a theory relevant to antibiotics it would be it's affect on on the bacteria involved in digestion, maybe increase your fiber intake
    My fiber intake is pretty high already, but how much do you think is appropriate for a 3,000 calorie diet?

Wouldn’t fat ingestion alongside ubiquinone increase bioavailability?

Originally Posted by Xpiro View Post
    My fiber intake is pretty high already, but how much do you think is appropriate for a 3,000 calorie diet?

Wouldn’t fat ingestion alongside ubiquinone increase bioavailability?
    Or... BioPerine, apparently.

eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Or... BioPerine, apparently.
    impossible to tell without bloodwork but yes it should however if you are on other meds bioperine needs to be taken with caution

It exists in the pre-workout I’ve been taking for a year, so I think I’m in the clear lol

By the way, if we’re talking digestive bacteria, is there any probiotic in particular you’d recommend? Or certain strains to look out for? I’ve been on Amazon’s generic brand, but maybe I get what I pay for.

Also, a peculiarity I forget to mention is that my weight is exactly the same as it has been for the last 2 years, which is the goal, but obviously in a get leaner fashion and not the opposite. My main lifts are still improving at pretty much the same rate they always have.

And finally no it’s not in my head.
    Last edited by Xpiro; 01-10-2021 at 06:17 AM.

By the way, if we’re talking digestive bacteria, is there any probiotic in particular you’d recommend? Or certain strains to look out for? I’ve been on Amazon’s generic brand, but maybe I get what I pay for.

Also, a peculiarity I forget to mention is that my weight is exactly the same as it has been for the last 2 years, which is the goal, but obviously in a get leaner fashion and not the opposite. My main lifts are still improving at pretty much the same rate they always have.

And finally no it’s not in my head.
    Lactospore and maybe it's water weight?

Originally Posted by eatyourspinach View Post
    Lactospore and maybe it's water weight?
    Thanks, I’ll look into it.

And nah I’ve got some rolls now, easier to grab in places etc.

Edit: Lactic acid produced by Bacillus coagulans in the gut is unrelated to to buildup in muscles I assume lol?

This is suspiciously cheap but what do you think...?

AFI Lactospore Probiotic Helps Maintain a Healthy Intestinal Flora https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00110EIUG...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Xpiro; 01-10-2021 at 07:35 PM.