Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stumpy Nubs

ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Stumpy Nubs

Realizing news is aboot to go back to being boring, I figured I'd get a jump on a new activity, so I'm starting woodworking.

Many of you are likely surprised I'm not already working with wood; since my last name is wood. Frankly, I never had much interest in wood until now. Life is funny.

Anyways, I needed tools and woodworking stuff, so I started doing research on the internet. I figure it's probably a good idea to learn from others before going out and buying a bunch of stuff that I may or may not need and/or cutting my hands off cuz of not knowing what I'm doing. After watching a bunch of videos, I found this one dude - Stumpy Nubs, who had the chillest, low-key vibe, but also knows his wood and woodworking. I'm learning a lot from Stumpy and thought some here might be interested too.

Here's a video from his channel:

So I figured I'd start a thread aboot woodworking here. My first project is a sweet custom router table like this dude made:

My DIY Router Table with Drawers and Dust Collection, from Start to Finish

Feel welcome to share you woodworking projects.

LWW is a name known to all. (+5000) LWW is a name known to all. (+5000) LWW is a name known to all. (+5000) LWW is a name known to all. (+5000) LWW is a name known to all. (+5000) LWW is a name known to all. (+5000) LWW is a name known to all. (+5000) LWW is a name known to all. (+5000) LWW is a name known to all. (+5000) LWW is a name known to all. (+5000) LWW is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ChazWood View Post
    I'm learning a lot from Stumpy and thought some here might be interested too.

Thank you, I knew you would come around.

steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yo, I watch and like his channel too. He actually had a shop accident a few months back and even shared details of it so we can avoid it. ANother one I follow just did the same, lol. I'll post some more, also lowkey ones, I follow.

ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ChazWood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by steffo99 View Post
    Yo, I watch and like his channel too. He actually had a shop accident a few months back and even shared details of it so we can avoid it. ANother one I follow just did the same, lol. I'll post some more, also lowkey ones, I follow.
    Yeah, he did a safety video about the accident that scared the crap out of me. I know I've been super-lucky over the years, and sure as hell dont want to have to deal with loss of fingers going forward. I already have my hands full with trying to stay on my bike and not get whacked off. It.

I know you were talking aboot doing woodworking. Any projects you want to share?

steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) steffo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yeah, he did a safety video about the accident that scared the crap out of me. I know I've been super-lucky over the years, and sure as hell dont want to have to deal with loss of fingers going forward. I already have my hands full with trying to stay on my bike and not get whacked off. It.

I know you were talking aboot doing woodworking. Any projects you want to share?
    Beginner here and barely gotten started but will do once I got something..starting off with a little workbench..received some of the materials today and waiting for others plus more tools, calmps and all kinds of stuff to come in. Also got a little tool trolley today so that was nice.Spend a year watching and accumulating stuff and havn't done much yet, but feel I'm ready to have a go at it now so will share when got something. Have so many tools to practice with now and for each one, as you are about to start you realize that something is missing or could be done better etc so I been a bit slow. Just got a giant mitre saw from metabo as well, but realized I need to make little jigs etc for small pieces and strange angles...so a bit of a pain with all these new things I didn't expect popping up but fascinating at the same time...since can look up guides everywhere nowadays.

Awesome that you had this interest as well, there must be more in here probably that make some stuff.

Beginner here and barely gotten started but will do once I got something..starting off with a little workbench..received some of the materials today and waiting for others plus more tools, calmps and all kinds of stuff to come in. Also got a little tool trolley today so that was nice.Spend a year watching and accumulating stuff and havn't done much yet, but feel I'm ready to have a go at it now so will share when got something. Have so many tools to practice with now and for each one, as you are about to start you realize that something is missing or could be done better etc so I been a bit slow. Just got a giant mitre saw from metabo as well, but realized I need to make little jigs etc for small pieces and strange angles...so a bit of a pain with all these new things I didn't expect popping up but fascinating at the same time...since can look up guides everywhere nowadays.
    All sounds good, brother. I look forward to seeing your progress, and I'll let you know how the router table goes.

Awesome that you had this interest as well, there must be more in here probably that make some stuff.
    Yeah, hopefully we get some tips from real woodworking craftdudes.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not sure what happened to this guy but I know with a table saw the temptation to pull a bit of wood through it rather than use a push stick especially with small pieces. That's cost a lot of people a finger tip or worse.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, hopefully we get some tips from real woodworking craftdudes.
    I did a carpentry and joinery apprenticeship after leaving school, the first guy I worked with gave me a few pearls of wisdom. Keep your tools sharp, blunt tools are dangerous. More haste, less speed, take your time, measure twice, cut once. Safety is paramount, trees grow more quickly than fingers.

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Not sure what happened to this guy but I know with a table saw the temptation to pull a bit of wood through it rather than use a push stick especially with small pieces. That's cost a lot of people a finger tip or worse.
    Absolutely correct, always feed material from the front, push sticks and push blocks can play an essential part in keeping hands away from a blade or cutting block.

One of the guys in college with me, was putting a timber section over a surface planer, no push block, his left hand slipped and went into the cutter block, he lost a quarter of his left hand, two complete fingers and portions of the two remaining fingers. Had the guide fence been correctly set and a push block employed this accident would have been far less likely.

In Witness Protection mtpockets's Avatar
    mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Great thread Chazzers, here is one of my fav channels

This lady is simply amazing, her videos are short and to the point. Started watching her when she was working out of her garage and now she has built a huge workshop. She is good with metal and wood.

Hey there. I’m April and I’m the creator of Wilker Do’s.

I am an obsessed DIYer and Woodworker. I'm not professional or have any training, so I just pick the project I want to tackle and figure it out step by step.

I picked up my first tool in January of 2013. I couldn't afford to buy the things I wanted around my home, so I decided to try my hand at making them instead. I was hooked after my first project so I just never stopped.

Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999

Social distancing expert

There are no strangers, just friends I have yet to meet

debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try Steve Ramsey. Woodworking for mere mortals. He does a lot of smaller things, like weekend stuff.

Thanks for the contributions, guys. All helpful.

Made good progress on the router table today. In fact, it was so beautiful, I loaded it into the car, took it out to the forest, and released it into the wild so it could be with nature.

Beautiful things should never be restrained.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OldFartTom has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not sure if this is woodworking or cabinet making or what, but if you guys want a small project try making a small wooden box. Make the lid slide not hinge but do it so that's not visible (looks like ordinary hinged lid, so lid needs to be thick/solid same size as box not smaller and thinner like a normal slide). One side you will be able to see the grove of the tongue on each side needed for this design, where the lid slides, which is the front of box as lid slides back. To disguise that you screw a piano hinge across it and then carefully remove the rod from the piano hinge (but glue on 2 tiny stubs or rod on the ends of the hinge to hide that it was removed. Also you'll have to align the tongue pieces with the hinge gaps so you can still slide the lid while the piano hinge is screwed on. On the opposite side of the fake hinge add some kind of clasp, keyhole or other misdirection. It'll look exactly like a box with a lid that hinged just like normal, but nobody will be able to open it until shown that the lid slides

Even quicker, modify an existing hinged lid box to secret slide
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 01-09-2021 at 01:30 AM.
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.

OK, dumping a bunch of channels I watch here..like them all but favorites are probably Rex, Samurai carpenter and Rob Cosman.

Haven't found this channel yet byt I'll keep looking:

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    https://www.iwfatlanta.com/

A must do trade show for woodworkers interested in education or entertainment value. The "mac daddy" of all woodworking shows in North America. Held on even numbered years at the 4 million square foot Georgia World Congress Center. Anything and everything wood related from the hobbyist to industrial businesses. I have been a couple of times, so fun! The stuff that you see is incredible. Booths filling all of the conference rooms and hallways. Different people from all over the world.

It would take you a day just to walk through this place without stopping to look around. This place is huge. The show lasts 4 days. Try to go for 2 days if possible, plus extra days for any other Atlanta stuff for entertainment. Highly recommended for woodworking nerds.

Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 01-09-2021 at 09:32 PM.
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    https://www.iwfatlanta.com/

A must do trade show for woodworkers interested in education or entertainment value. The "mac daddy" of all woodworking shows in North America.
    Thanks for the info, looks very cool. Too bad it's kind of far away. Saw Katz Moses had it on his channel...

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for the info, looks very cool. Too bad it's kind of far away.
    Europe and Asia have equivalent or even better shows. More countries being involved would equal a better experience IMO.

I think that LIGNA is the biggest woodworking show in Europe.

Even the smaller shows are fun and interesting. I used to go to a local show every year in Greensboro, North Carolina. Great show, just on a much smaller scale. The Greensboro convention center is 167,000 sq. ft. versus 4 million in Atlanta. A little more geared to the eastern seaboard market as far as the material and equipment vendors in attendance.

Even though the vast majority of things at these shows you would never own or get to use, the technology is interesting to get to see in person.

In both of the IWF shows that I attended, I got to see women in bikinis, proving that bikini clad women can sell anything.
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 01-09-2021 at 06:43 AM.
    []---[] Equipment crew member #51 []---[]

Awesome material guys, thanks!

I've got my work cut out for me. Get it?!?!

One of the first little projects I just made as a beginner. A little mft-style worktop to put into the superjaws and some accessories from armor-tool etc. 2 layers of acasia wood I got cheap, glued together for a thicker board (1.5 inches). I know nothing about acasia but it's harder than oak anyways. Shaved off the edges with a large makita saw I just got and it went thru like butter compared to my ryobi that struggled with pine. Routed slight recess for the brackets...and the machine struggled a bit even though it's 2000 watts so had to take it in 2 passes. Then drilled out some 3/4 holes with a wood owl bit and put 2 layers of hardwax oil on it. Anyways, just fun having started with something - hopefully can make a regular table next...just want to test/practice with some inlays or something.

So weird that my grandfather on my mother's side was a woodworker. Never got to meet him and didn't know about his interest/jobs until last year or so...after I started finding my interest, mainly by looking at youtube channels. Never had anyone show me anything practical with tools, cars or anything like that so kind of all new and fun to discover a hobby this late in life and be able to see every aspect done thanks to the internet. Just makes me wonder though if even interests etc. can have a genetic factor or if that is just pure coincidence.

Already thought out the design for legs/feet of a table and got the materials in the basement so hopefully get started on that soon...

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great hobby to get into OP . I did it out of necessity, as I used to be a car audio fanatic , and you sort of need tools in that craft , especially routers .
    I’m not a big fan of using extruded aluminium for a table ,but it certainly works .
    I purchased an Incra router table top and their inserts, fence , lift etc, and will build the bottom of the router table out of wood .
    I’d recommend Bosch 1617 for a router , or a Triton if you need more HP.
    https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/bos...17evs-27717-p/

https://incra.com/precision_fences.html

I chose Incra because they have some of the best dust control that I’m aware of .
    Strange thing is I can’t find their clean sweep rings on their site right now ? Hope there not discontinued.

I also bought Festool for most of my woodworking tools , as they are also all about dust control .
    But in Canada their miter saw and vacuum cost 3K alone , but what price can you put on your lungs .

Speaking of which , if you ever use MDF , take extra precautions, as that dust is some of the worst
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 07-10-2021 at 05:35 PM.
    Asteroid can’t get here soon enough crew

Super straight crew

Sloots are never yours,it’s just your turn

Turn them upside down and there all sisters

Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    Speaking of which , if you ever use MDF , take extra precautions, as that dust is some of the worst
    That was the first thing I drilled a bunch of holes through - what a nasty experience ...got myself a proper mask with filters after that, lol.

Thanks for the router tip...yeah saw the triton one, but got the strongest trend one..almost 3 hp..but I suppose I need some different bits in general and especially for that really hard wood.... I used a Trend..what you call it, big straight bit with 3 blades but that is like a chopping type action into that super hard wood. I will try get a whiteside compression router bit next since it comes so highly recommended.

That dust control I figured will become more of an issue the more you get into it.

MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MajorTendonitis has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That was the first thing I drilled a bunch of holes through - what a nasty experience ...got myself a proper mask with filters after that, lol.

Thanks for the router tip...yeah saw the triton one, but got the strongest trend one..almost 3 hp..but I suppose I need some different bits in general and especially for that really hard wood.... I used a Trend..what you call it, big straight bit with 3 blades but that is like a chopping type action into that super hard wood. I will try get a whiteside compression router bit next since it comes so highly recommended.

That dust control I figured will become more of an issue the more you get into it.
    The bonus with the Triton is can mounted under a table and it has a built in adjustable lift system .
    Never tried one, but heard good things . I just bought an overpriced Incra lift , this way I have a choice of which router I want .
    I have two porter cable 7815’s . They used to be the standard for high horse power applications,but have since been discontinued

Super straight crew

https://www.routerforums.com/forums/

I belong to this forum here . A plethora of info and some helpful people.

I went threw these pics to get ideas before I proceeded with a router table build .
    Always interesting to see what others have for ideas

https://www.routerforums.com/threads...r-table.17212/

Super straight crew

Thanks for the great info MT! Will check out that forum as well I got the Trend T7 since it was pretty inexpensive, had plenty juice and I already had a bunch of accesories for it...figured I step up to their T11 or something else as you mentioned if ever wanted to mount it (no homo).

Thanks for the great info MT! Will check out that forum as well I got the Trend T7 since it was pretty inexpensive, had plenty juice and I already had a bunch of accesories for it...figured I step up to their T11 or something else as you mentioned if ever wanted to mount it (no homo).
    Lmao , spoken like a true Miscer

This isn’t mine ,but I like the idea . Mike designed a router table that has adjustable height using a car jack .
    I have real estate issues myself , and want to build an adjustable height table also , that way it can double as an outfield table for my table saw .

Now shown, but there are actually two routers Bosch 1617 routers built into this table. Great for when you have your height set and don’t have to change bits .

Attached Images
    Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 07-10-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Super straight crew

Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
    Lmao , spoken like a true Miscer
    I believe we all have an inner miscer. The more evovled individual has just recognized and come to peace with it.

I haven't even thought about router tables so can't really appreciate all that's going on here , but thanks for sharing. I also have a very small space atm and it certainly forces you to think about all kinds of details, solutions etc. Hope to eventually get to a larger countryside house with more space but don't want to act too soon selling certain assets. Will probably pick up more of a gardening hobby at that time as well.