Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100)

Question Pull-ups - what makes difference grip or how wide ?

Hello, i have a question. I want to alternate my pull-ups and i dont know what is better. What makes the most difference in muscles that are working, the style of the grip (pronated/supinated/neutral) OR the width of pull-up (narrow, shoulder-width, wide) ? I know im working back and arms at every variation, but i just want to know if i want to have some variations, if its better to stick to classic shoulder-width (which im doing right now and is best for me) and just do different style of grips, or if its better to change how wide are they and do different widths of pull-ups (narrow, wide etc.) Thanks

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Depends if you want to focus on something particular - but in general, certain grips+widths don't combine well together, which will be obvious if you try to do them.

If you like what you're doing now, nothing wrong with sticking to it.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    think about the position of your elbows.

If they are flared, your upper arms are pulling down out to your sides

If they are in front of you, they are in a different plane of movement - at 90 degrees to the first example.

This has a different effect on the lats - upper vs. lower fibers IIRC. Menno Henselmans has a muscle specific hypertrophy article about this somewhere.

I do both.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When in doubt, doing pullups (wide grip, pronated) and chinups (supinated, shoulder-width or narrower) are a simple way to approach it. Neutral grip may help if joints are bothering you.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pronated without leaning back or putting your feet out in front of you requires more scapular work. Otherwise the difference between pronated and supinated is mainly how well the biceps are incorporated.

I think standard width for supinated will be shoulder width while standard for pronated will be a tad wider due to shoulder rotation. With pronated the wider grip is generally tougher because it requires more coordination across the back, while closer grip takes the biceps out of the lift as you get to the end. With chinups the closer you put your hands the more your tightening the posterior muscles which facilitates the lift. I'm not sure if it's practical to go very wide with chinups.

Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100) Trineu is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    think about the position of your elbows.

If they are flared, your upper arms are pulling down out to your sides

If they are in front of you, they are in a different plane of movement - at 90 degrees to the first example.

This has a different effect on the lats - upper vs. lower fibers IIRC. Menno Henselmans has a muscle specific hypertrophy article about this somewhere.

I do both.
    Well i tried the wider ones where arms are pulling down to my sides, but it really hurts my elbows. Im not professional, but classic trainee, so i dont work like for upper and lower fibers, i mean for general lats development, will i be okay even with just shoulder width ?

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes i believe the widths and how your hands are positioned can make a difference especially if your trying to target an area on the back.
    That being said everyone will be different on how it effects them with all the differences.
    Suffolk punch has a good answer above but if your not worried about where to target the shoulder width palms away grip is a pretty standard way to do pull ups.
    If your really trying to just get more back work in i would use a neutral/parallel grip also the use of straps can help to lessen the grip you have to use thus taking some arm out of the movement.
    Ideally you should think upper arm moving and the lower arms as hooks and cables if that makes sense.
    We must remember though the pull up is basically a compound movement the uses many muscles to get the chin over the bar so you will never totally eliminate their involvement.
    This is again why you have to have your own decision on how it feels to you.
    Good luck.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Trineu View Post
    Well i tried the wider ones where arms are pulling down to my sides, but it really hurts my elbows. Im not professional, but classic trainee, so i dont work like for upper and lower fibers, i mean for general lats development, will i be okay even with just shoulder width ?
    Not sure what you mean with your differentiation of trainees but any variation that doesn't blow up your elbows would probably be your better option.

You're also probably better off not overthinking.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ECGordyn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    You're also probably better off not overthinking.
    ^
    This. It doesn't matter. Your lats will develop fine doing any kind of vertical pull on a balanced program. Horizontal pulls also work the lats to a degree
    Once upon a time (maxes 2020) ...
    Squat 185, Bench 137, DL 205, @ bw 88.5 age 43

Workout Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1630928323&viewfull=1#post1630928323

MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If I go wide on pull ups I feel it hits much harder on the Lat muscles. It gives me wings
    Chicago Crew

"ITS OK MIKE"

EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EliKoehn has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ECGordyn View Post
    ^
    This. It doesn't matter. Your lats will develop fine doing any kind of vertical pull on a balanced program. Horizontal pulls also work the lats to a degree
    Do you think the standard "vertical pulls for width, rows for thickness" is generally true? For instance, I do more vertical pulls than rows and my back appears to be thicker than it is wide.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 505

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Do you think the standard "vertical pulls for width, rows for thickness" is generally true? For instance, I do more vertical pulls than rows and my back appears to be thicker than it is wide.
    Width=lats
    Thickness= traps

Generally speaking....

Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ironface has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    @OP don’t overthink it. Just pick one.
    Originally Posted by EliKoehn View Post
    Probably because you deadlift, which thickens the hell out of the back.

Vertical for width and horizontal for thickness is true though, due to the muscles they emphasise. However, vertical pulls can still thicken and horizontal pulls can still widen your back. It merely shifts the emphasis.
    *Deadlifts pants after taking a chit crew*
    *Typos can go fucl themselves crew*
    *Nice miscer crew*
    *Loves reps, hates negs crew*
    *Faps before workout crew*
    *12+ hours of sleep crew*
    *Faps during workout crew*
    *Hates onions crew*
    *Faps after workout crew*
    *No fap crew*

MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000) MIKES3 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Width=lats
    Thickness= traps

Generally speaking....

I've always followed this thought process as well.
    Chicago Crew

"ITS OK MIKE"

Registered Anti-Hero SicilianPower's Avatar
    SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SicilianPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think body mechanics contributes a lot to pull ups/chin-ups in particular. Seems like most people feel their lats get hit more from pull ups and a wider grip. For me I feel that I get a much better stretch and range of motion doing chin ups at a moderate or close grip. Plus it hits the biceps more which is always nice and it puts them in a stronger position.

I recently read an article where Dorian Yates basically says the same thing about doing lat pulldowns underhand, and when I read it, I was in agreement.
    *MMA Crew
    *Boxing Crew
    *Agnostic Crew
    *Wavy Hair Crew
    *Right-Wing Crew
    *INTP (Logician) Crew
    *Hazel-Green Eyes Crew

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SicilianPower View Post
    I think body mechanics contributes a lot to pull ups/chin-ups in particular. Seems like most people feel their lats get hit more from pull ups and a wider grip. For me I feel that I get a much better stretch and range of motion doing chin ups at a moderate or close grip. Plus it hits the biceps more which is always nice and it puts them in a stronger position.

I recently read an article where Dorian Yates basically says the same thing about doing lat pulldowns underhand, and when I read it, I was in agreement.
    My take is that underhand is stronger in the isolinear path while pronated you have to train more for mobility control. If you're climbing rock faces then it helps to be able to move yourself on a planed movement path, but if you're descending or ascending on to a branch then you can just use supinated or neutral.