scumpxharry is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How long to wait for shoulder to recover

So on Thanksgiving I was messing around throwing a football with friends, and I hurt my shoulder trying to throw too hard. I am guessing it was something in/near the rotator cuff, but I am not sure. Most likely a strain of some muscle in that area. The next time I benched a couple days later, I experienced significant twinges in my inner shoulder when warming up on bench, and subsequently stopped doing my push workouts. Maybe 10 days later I tested it by just benching the bar, but immediately felt the same thing and stopped. That was 3-4 weeks ago. During that time I have avoided pushing movements altogether. I am just wondering when it will be ok for me to go back to benching. My instinct is to wait 2-3 more weeks to avoid setting myself back significantly by trying to rush back too quickly. I just feel discouraged because I had finally started to break past my beginner plateau before I hurt the shoulder. What do you guys think?

smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by maiconvnd View Post
    Wants to know better, a way to stay fitness .. 5 advanced exercises plank that will get your core ripped
    smfh

Anyway, lets move on. Without an mri or being a Dr, I've had many shoulder injuries and 1 major shoulder surgery. I can tell you any PT would have you start with movements like these. I'd start with some very light RC movements to: A.Test the waters; B.Strengthen the RC and should in general.

This is just 1 vid on RC band movements

Youtube more "shoulder rehab exercises with resistance bands" vids to get a variety of movements/ideas you can do. I'd do these twice a day; starting out very easy and not a lot of reps. Move up in intensity and volume as you feel ready to do so.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card

sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sowilson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Research out who the good orthopedic surgeons are in your area (aka professional sports team doctors) and consider visiting the office they work through if they have an orthopedic urgent care facility. You'll get checked out by folks who actually know something (unlike your GP). The video above is fine and show's a few of the exercises that make up an AC/RC/Scap/Labrum rehab. A more complete listing can be found by searching "Throwers 10" Which are 10 exercises for overhead athletes (football QB's, pitchers, catchers, volleyball hitters, etc) that covers a whole lot of shoulder issues. When I was throwing batting practice as an older guy with shoulder issues (I pitched when I was a kid) I use to spend time doing many of the routines in that video as a warm-up before ever throwing a baseball.

bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bjw11180 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by scumpxharry View Post
    So on Thanksgiving I was messing around throwing a football with friends, and I hurt my shoulder trying to throw too hard. I am guessing it was something in/near the rotator cuff, but I am not sure. Most likely a strain of some muscle in that area. The next time I benched a couple days later, I experienced significant twinges in my inner shoulder when warming up on bench, and subsequently stopped doing my push workouts. Maybe 10 days later I tested it by just benching the bar, but immediately felt the same thing and stopped. That was 3-4 weeks ago. During that time I have avoided pushing movements altogether. I am just wondering when it will be ok for me to go back to benching. My instinct is to wait 2-3 more weeks to avoid setting myself back significantly by trying to rush back too quickly. I just feel discouraged because I had finally started to break past my beginner plateau before I hurt the shoulder. What do you guys think?
    I got nothing except to share my experience and frustration...I hurt my shoulder, RC or something, doing push ups months ago. It was just a gradual overuse thing...there was no one moment where I felt something go wrong, it just got more and more aggravated over time.

I haven't done much in the way of pushing exercises in the months since, and the shoulder is really no better. Very discouraging. I am finally going to see an orthopedist on Friday. Hopefully we can figure something out to get me back to doing more upper body stuff.

I guess I'm offering a cautionary tale of what could be worst-case for you, in terms of timeline for recovery.

Originally Posted by smokinal View Post
    smfh

Anyway, lets move on. Without an mri or being a Dr, I've had many shoulder injuries and 1 major shoulder surgery. I can tell you any PT would have you start with movements like these. I'd start with some very light RC movements to: A.Test the waters; B.Strengthen the RC and should in general.

This is just 1 vid on RC band movements

Youtube more "shoulder rehab exercises with resistance bands" vids to get a variety of movements/ideas you can do. I'd do these twice a day; starting out very easy and not a lot of reps. Move up in intensity and volume as you feel ready to do so.
    Thanks for the input. I am going to get one of these bands and start doing these.

Originally Posted by bjw11180 View Post
    I got nothing except to share my experience and frustration...I hurt my shoulder, RC or something, doing push ups months ago. It was just a gradual overuse thing...there was no one moment where I felt something go wrong, it just got more and more aggravated over time.

I haven't done much in the way of pushing exercises in the months since, and the shoulder is really no better. Very discouraging. I am finally going to see an orthopedist on Friday. Hopefully we can figure something out to get me back to doing more upper body stuff.

I guess I'm offering a cautionary tale of what could be worst-case for you, in terms of timeline for recovery.
    Yea that is definitely discouraging, I hope you start to feel better soon. I tested it today by benching the bar and then a 25 on each side, and it felt fine. Obviously that is not much weight but 3-4 weeks ago I felt twinges benching the bar. My inclination is to do the shoulder band exercises shown above for 2-3 weeks and then go back to pushing exercises gradually

Update: There doesn't seems to be any issues with the shoulder anymore. I benched twice this week and everything felt as it did before.

smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) smokinal has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Glad to hear but still be cautious.

If you had started doing those band exercises, continue doing them. I also warm up with those every single workout now to help prevent injury.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card