inex0rable is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Deadlifting Woes

Hi. I'm 19 years old, male. 5'6" 158 lbs (currently cutting to 148-150). This is my first post here. I've been training sort of a hybrid bodybuilding/powerlifting type split for 9 months now with no previous organized training. Haven't been paying any attention to my diet until a few weeks ago when I decided to cut. I follow a program that I made, but I don't really understand the basics of training stresses and stuff. Been progressively overloading for 9 months constantly though, increasing reps and/or load every week (and before I changed my split, twice a week). I attached a pic of my physique and would be interested to see if you guys think I have bodybuilding potential as well.

I've run into a bit of a problem with my deadlift today. My max is currently 355 lbs. My programming with deadlifting was just a few sets of warmup and then a 1rm every week. Then 6 sets of 5 reps of whatever. I was steadily getting stronger by 5 lbs every week on my max for the last 7 months or so but today I decided I wanted to not go for a 1rm because I read that people only go for them like once a month or maybe even more sparsely than that. So I tried to do some triples which I had never done before (I stayed at minimum 5 reps in every exercise). Weight was 340 lbs because I looked up on strengthlevel.com what the equivalent triple deadlift would be to a 360 lb deadlift. I did one set of 3, but next set it become too heavy, so I dropped it down to 330. Same thing. Dropped it down to 315. I was seething with rage by the end of this "workout".

So what should I do guys. Go back to maxing out every week? or maybe change my programming with deadlifts? I tried to tweak my programming with them because of the weight cut i'm doing but I'm not sure I know what to do. Thanks.

Edit: It's the day after and i'm sore as ****. I'm usually never sore after a workout.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by inex0rable; 01-02-2021 at 05:25 PM. Reason: update

Registered User readreindeer666's Avatar
    readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50) readreindeer666 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Heavy shoulder shrugs helped my deadlift!

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Focus on getting better and making slow progress

Originally Posted by inex0rable View Post
    Hi. I'm 19 years old, male. 5'6" 158 lbs (currently cutting to 148-150). This is my first post here. I've been training sort of a hybrid bodybuilding/powerlifting type split for 9 months now with no previous organized training. Haven't been paying any attention to my diet until a few weeks ago when I decided to cut. I follow a program that I made, but I don't really understand the basics of training stresses and stuff. Been progressively overloading for 9 months constantly though, increasing reps and/or load every week (and before I changed my split, twice a week). I attached a pic of my physique and would be interested to see if you guys think I have bodybuilding potential as well.

I've run into a bit of a problem with my deadlift today. My max is currently 355 lbs. My programming with deadlifting was just a few sets of warmup and then a 1rm every week. Then 6 sets of 5 reps of whatever. I was steadily getting stronger by 5 lbs every week on my max for the last 7 months or so but today I decided I wanted to not go for a 1rm because I read that people only go for them like once a month or maybe even more sparsely than that. So I tried to do some triples which I had never done before (I stayed at minimum 5 reps in every exercise). Weight was 340 lbs because I looked up on strengthlevel.com what the equivalent triple deadlift would be to a 360 lb deadlift. I did one set of 3, but next set it become too heavy, so I dropped it down to 330. Same thing. Dropped it down to 315. I was seething with rage by the end of this "workout".

So what should I do guys. Go back to maxing out every week? or maybe change my programming with deadlifts? I tried to tweak my programming with them because of the weight cut i'm doing but I'm not sure I know what to do. Thanks.

Edit: It's the day after and i'm sore as ****. I'm usually never sore after a workout.
    If your goal is strength you need to google DUP and it should help you prepare to do a 1 rep max in the gym. Periodization is the best way to get your body in its prime physical condition. Periodizing weight and reps will help. Also do lifts that will help your deadlift like barbell rows, stiff legged deadlifts, etc. Any other questions please leave them below. Also on my youtube channel I explain things in further depth as well as posts on the forums here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class