sokaman is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Newbie question about training routine

I recently completed 3 months of a "Bro Split" routine - 4 days a week, one body part a day -- and all of a sudden I've realised that I actually have made some appreciable muscle gains. It's motivating me to carry on.

But I've also realised after reading and listening to experienced lifters that "Bro Splits" are not ideal for beginners.

Question: should I ditch the Bro Split (that is working for me) or move to something like Fierce 5?

TIA
    Last edited by sokaman; 12-30-2020 at 10:21 PM.

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sokaman View Post
    I recently completed 3 months of a "Bro Split" routine - 4 days a week, one body part a day -- and all of a sudden I've realised that I actually have made some appreciable muscle gains. It's motivating me to carry on.

But I've also realised after reading and listening to experienced lifters that "Bro Splits" are not ideal for beginners.

Question: should I ditch the Bro Split (that is working for me) or move to something like Fierce 5?

TIA
    Not sure why this is in the Losing Fat forum? If fat loss is your primary goal, diet is the most important thing and cardio will burn more calories than lifting (although you should still lift to preserve muscle).

Bro Split style training is not optimal for anyone - training each muscle at least twice per week will result in superior results. That said, if you enjoy your current routine and have been getting good results, there's nothing wrong with sticking with it.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    Bro Split style training is not optimal for anyone - training each muscle at least twice per week will result in superior results. That said, if you enjoy your current routine and have been getting good results, there's nothing wrong with sticking with it.
    ^^^ This.

But if your lifts are still at beginner level (whats your squat/bench/DL numbers?) there's nothing wrong with taking a step back and doing a beginner program. However, the best program is the one you like the best that you can stick with, so if you like doing a 4-day a week program you may want to even consider an U/L/U/L program like this (which is better than a 4 day bro-split): https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1266761131
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) illpinoise is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If It's working bro...don't split on your program

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sokaman View Post

TIA
    Any newbie to the gym will make gains as long as they're lifting enough to create SOME stimulus under reasonable loads...

But if you're training each muscle ONCE a week, you could literally be getting only 50% of your potential progress compared to hitting them 2-3 times a week during this time.

So yes, get on a novice routine and use planned progression schemes so that you can get the best bang for your buck.
    The power of carbs compels me!

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    As a new lifter pretty much anything works. You probably would have done even better with a more structured program that hits each muscle multiple times a week however now would be a good time to switch gears and adapt a better program.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    -Antoine de Saint-Exupery