gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Struggling with what to do at the moment

Hello!

As you can see, I am more of a lurker than a poster (apologies for this) but I must pick some brains. Short version, out of lockdown (currently in Tier 3 if you are UK based) and post Christmas where I always relax my eating, I find myself fatter than I would like but also with less muscle than I would like. Abs have smoothed over, love handles are back with the lower back fat yet of course, I feel skinny.

I was and have started a clean deficit since the 27th at 1,800 which is what I used to lean up to the most recent photo in my gallery last year before I went to Vietnam, but at the same time, I am really motivated to lift heavy and intense and try and gain some muscles so I am really conflicted what to do as I know the latter doesn't come without some fat gain.

I finished the day yesterday on 1,650 which is so low, I know but I am getting all stressed with trying not to get fatter. I think I just wanna feel comforatable in clothes again which currently I don't.

I have started weighing on a Sunday to get an average over the next few weeks and I am currently 175 (5' 6").

Thanks in advance for any advice.

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hello chap. In tier 3 here too. Worried that today we're going to move into tier 4, and that's at least another month of workouts out the window.

Are you sure your love handles and abs smoothing over isn't just mainly water?

I think you've got to pick your goal one way or the other. If you're really unsure, perhaps maintenance or a slight defecit might be better if you're feeling fat and could be locked down again sometime soon.

However I would say 1,800 or less is too low. It's what I started on a couple of years ago when I didn't know any better, and I received advice here saying it was too low. I think I settled on around 2,500 in the end which worked out well.

Looks like you have a pretty decent build, and I think on 1,600-1,800 you're in danger of losing lean mass.

gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazmorton2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    Hello chap. In tier 3 here too. Worried that today we're going to move into tier 4, and that's at least another month of workouts out the window.

Are you sure your love handles and abs smoothing over isn't just mainly water?

I think you've got to pick your goal one way or the other. If you're really unsure, perhaps maintenance or a slight defecit might be better if you're feeling fat and could be locked down again sometime soon.

However I would say 1,800 or less is too low. It's what I started on a couple of years ago when I didn't know any better, and I received advice here saying it was too low. I think I settled on around 2,500 in the end which worked out well.

Looks like you have a pretty decent build, and I think on 1,600-1,800 you're in danger of losing lean mass.
    Thanks for taking the time, Mr. Carrot.

Yeah, I am hoping we don't go into tier 4. I struggled mentally with the last one and I am just feeling like I am getting back to strength again after going back to the gym.

It could be a lot of water, but the volume of Christmas treats I ate over about a week and a half were lots!

Last time I trimmed up to what I was told (on here) was probably around 10%, I was on 1,800 calories with plenty cardio as well as heavy lifting, but I looked really skinny in the face. My girlfriend was shocked. It's hard only eating that, I must admit.

One of the online TDEE calculators gives me this as a guide, although I know trying it and adjusting takes some doing. I just feel like currently, my arms are really skinny. Oh my, I am skinny, fat. Ha.

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,827 calories per day
    Sedentary 2,193 calories per day
    Light Exercise 2,513 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 2,832 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 3,152 calories per day
    Athlete 3,472 calories per day

Don't get me wrong, I am dying right now to hit 3,500 calories a day and try and gain as much as possible over winter but I know when I start to feel fat in my clothes, I won't be happy.

EDIT : Tier 4 from midnight so about to go do my last session for a while (again).
    Last edited by gazmorton2000; 12-30-2020 at 07:24 AM.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don't change your habits and re-evaluate your strategy every 3 days. Leads to spinning your wheels - the body you have now isn't the result of what's happened since Xmas.

Holidays and/or gyms being closed aren't reasons not to stick with good eating or workout habits, even if they need to be adjusted.

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gazmorton2000 View Post

EDIT : Tier 4 from midnight so about to go do my last session for a while (again).
    Same here mate, I'm gutted. My strength had just come back from after the last lockdown (which we've not even been out of for a month yet).

I've been on 3,000 - 3,500 calories a day, hoping to hit 190 pounds by the end of Jan, at which point I was going to cut as I'm also fed up of the podgy belly.

Now my plans are on hold (again). Don't see the point trying to cut or bulk, with no proper equipment.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Don't change your habits and re-evaluate your strategy every 3 days. Leads to spinning your wheels - the body you have now isn't the result of what's happened since Xmas. Holidays and/or gyms being closed aren't reasons not to stick with good eating or workout habits, even if they need to be adjusted.
    Hey. Thanks for your response and, whilst I agree with most of what you say, I didn't say I was re-evaluating my strategy every three days. In normal times, I exercise very well, 5-6 times per week and eat well, saving weekends for relaxing and eating something take away related or whatever. As for the holidays, I do believe like if too short to eat 100% clean 100% of the year. I relax at Christmas and always will and I know the result of this. I adjusted my working out during the first lockdown but it's just not the same, sadly. My post today was just to get some input from people in similar situations of what direction to head in, having clearly lost muscle mass from the gyms being closed as well as gaining fat. During lockdown #1 I ran a lot and whilst this kept me lean, I also, clearly lost muscle mass. If you have any suggestions, I would love you to share them.

For some reason, the forum won't let me multi quote. bee trying for ages and getting a denied message, hence two messages here..

Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    Same here mate, I'm gutted. My strength had just come back from after the last lockdown (which we've not even been out of for a month yet). I've been on 3,000 - 3,500 calories a day, hoping to hit 190 pounds by the end of Jan, at which point I was going to cut as I'm also fed up of the podgy belly. Now my plans are on hold (again). Don't see the point trying to cut or bulk, with no proper equipment.
    3,500 calories! That's an intake I wish I could aim for. Ha. Yes, I am very sad this evening. Just done my last session before the gyms close tonight and feel good. On 1,600 calories so far for the day so will eat something protein based later and finish around 1,800. You seem to be on the same page as me with regards to struggling without the proper (subjective of course) equipment and environment. As I posted above in reply to @air2fakie, I ran during the first lockdown but I lost muscle as well as fat. Feel a bit lost right now.