TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Help with isolating the front / side delts and chest

On my right side I’m able to push (against a wall or in the air) and feel my chest activate - I feel my delt and it’s soft meaning it’s not active.

I try and do the same with my left side. I just can’t do it. My chest does activate but so does my delt. I am not able to isolate. This is a problem during bench press and pushups.

I keep my shoulder retracted and even then I can’t keep my delt from firing on the left side - even when just holding my arm up and pulling my bicep towards the middle of the chest. I’m not able to get a solid contraction on my left pec as good as my right. On my right I feel the side of the pec towards my armpit fire, towards the strenum fire and also fire towards the middle of the chest.

When I do the same for my left side, the side towards the armpit has a 80% squeeze/fire of what I THINK it should be. Towards the sternum and mid chest it’s not even 50%. All the while my front delt is firing atleast 50% or more.

Really trying to get MMC going - I had issues with lats and glutes but they’ve been fixed - friggin chest giving me issues.

This is causing tendinitis in my left shoulder i feel (had it many times and got better already) and it recently resurfaced and finally gone about 90%. Really wanna fix this so I can feel my chest better when doing pushups and bench press without getting friggin tendinitis again

Thanks guys!!
    **^^ gone ^^**

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You need to video yourself to make sure your setup is even on both sides. It’s common to think your scapula positioning is even and then find out on video that it’s not the case. You may have instilled poor bench habits over time and now it’s presenting itself as a muscle activation issue. Poor form may have resulted in one side of your chest compensating with assistance from other muscles and now you have wired that habit whenever that side is asked to output a force. IMO, there’s more that goes into setting up correctly for bench than any other lift.

If you’re adamant your setup is correct then experiment with unilateral dumbbell presses and flys. High-ish, slow reps, really focusing on getting a nice stretch at the bottom and squeezing on the way up. Do this for an extended period of time and see if the mmc improves on your bilateral movements.

Last option would be to see a PT or medical professional to ensure that there’s no structural or neurological deficiency causing improper activation. It could be something as simple as a mobility issue in the shoulder girdle or something more complex like impaired innervation to the muscles.
    Last edited by leidenesLK; 12-28-2020 at 01:14 AM.

TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TryingBB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by leidenesLK View Post
    You need to video yourself to make sure your setup is even on both sides. It’s common to think your scapula positioning is even and then find out on video that it’s not the case. You may have instilled poor bench habits over time and now it’s presenting itself as a muscle activation issue. Poor form may have resulted in one side of your chest compensating with assistance from other muscles and now you have wired that habit whenever that side is asked to output a force. IMO, there’s more that goes into setting up correctly for bench than any other lift.

If you’re adamant your setup is correct then experiment with unilateral dumbbell presses and flys. High-ish, slow reps, really focusing on getting a nice stretch at the bottom and squeezing on the way up. Do this for an extended period of time and see if the mmc improves on your bilateral movements.

Last option would be to see a PT or medical professional to ensure that there’s no structural or neurological deficiency causing improper activation. It could be something as simple as a mobility issue in the shoulder girdle or something more complex like impaired innervation to the muscles.
    I videoed myself and that’s how I diagnosed this issue.

How do I look at my shoulder setup? What am I looking for? I assume I’ll have to do this without a shirt on?
    **^^ gone ^^**

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TryingBB View Post
    I videoed myself and that’s how I diagnosed this issue.

How do I look at my shoulder setup? What am I looking for? I assume I’ll have to do this without a shirt on?
    How I’ve done it in the past is to get a shot of the completed eccentric (bar touching chest), from the side, level with the bench height, for both left/right sides. Note the angle of the upper arm in relation to the torso for both arms. Any obvious differences here would imply uneven scapula retraction. Take another shot of the completed concentric (locked out), from the foot of the bench, level with the height of the bar. Bar dipping to one side would imply uneven scapula retraction. Take a shot from above the chest (looking down) for both the completed eccentric and concentric. Any shoulder hiking, or general differences in shoulder height, would imply uneven scapula depression. Also note differences in elbow flare from this shot.

Finally, take footage of reps being completed. From the foot of the bench, note whether the bar is rising faster on one side during the concentric and/or dipping faster on one side during the eccentric. IME, the weaker side tends to rise faster and stronger side tends to dip faster (both shifts load to the stronger side). Also note uneven leg drive (one leg fixed, the other loose etc). From above the chest, note changes in elbow flare mid-rep and whether you get shoulder hiking.

You don’t need to do it shirtless, although it could make it easier to spot differences.
    Last edited by leidenesLK; 12-28-2020 at 03:32 AM.

How I’ve done it in the past is to get a shot of the completed eccentric (bar touching chest), from the side, level with the bench height, for both left/right sides. Note the angle of the upper arm in relation to the torso for both arms. Any obvious differences here would imply uneven scapula retraction. Take another shot of the completed concentric (locked out), from the foot of the bench, level with the height of the bar. Bar dipping to one side would imply uneven scapula retraction. Take a shot from above the chest (looking down) for both the completed eccentric and concentric. Any shoulder hiking, or general differences in shoulder height, would imply uneven scapula depression. Also note differences in elbow flare from this shot.

Finally, take footage of reps being completed. From the foot of the bench, note whether the bar is rising faster on one side during the concentric and/or dipping faster on one side during the eccentric. IME, the weaker side tends to rise faster and stronger side tends to dip faster (both shifts load to the stronger side). Also note uneven leg drive (one leg fixed, the other loose etc). From above the chest, note changes in elbow flare mid-rep and whether you get shoulder hiking.

You don’t need to do it shirtless, although it could make it easier to spot differences.
    I’ve noticed this happening on OHP, BP and also on rows. I mean differences in elbow flare and also movement pattern.

BP: weaker side (left) is higher at the very top. I try and control the bar better and at the very top / lockout hold the bar even

OHP: same issue as above when I’m locked out on top

Rows: left arm moves a bit different and looks like elbow is actually moving more and higher than the right side.

How do I go about fixing this issue?
    **^^ gone ^^**

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I try and do the same with my left side. I just can’t do it. My chest does activate but so does my delt. I am not able to isolate. This is a problem during bench press and pushups.
    BP and pushups aren't meant to be a chest isolation exercise.

I’ve noticed this happening on OHP, BP and also on rows. I mean differences in elbow flare and also movement pattern.

BP: weaker side (left) is higher at the very top. I try and control the bar better and at the very top / lockout hold the bar even

OHP: same issue as above when I’m locked out on top

Rows: left arm moves a bit different and looks like elbow is actually moving more and higher than the right side.

How do I go about fixing this issue?
    Could be a multitude of issues causing it, so I can’t give a definitive answer without actually seeing you in person. Muscle imbalances, mobility restrictions, poor neurological habits are typically the causes. Your best bet would be to reset the weights on all movements causing you problems and try to ingrain symmetrical lifting habits.

Incorporate unilateral work too. However, keep in mind that unilateral work isn’t fool proof and in some ways has the potential to mask asymmetries in motion between sides because you aren’t moving the weights together, so the motion isn’t as easily compared. But it does assist in developing a mmc and ensures each side bears equal load.

Also, wouldn’t hurt to see a PT/med professional to assess any mobility restriction/weakness, muscle imbalance or neurological deficiency. I think it’s important every lifter does this once beyond the beginner stage. Imbalances are inevitable.

From the sounds of it, you lack general control in the shoulder girdle on your left side. If you’re finishing higher during bench, you aren’t keeping tight enough on that side and it’s coming up off the bench mid-rep. Either that or you’re hyperconscious of your lagging side, so you’re overemphasising force production on that side, sacrificing form. This sounds consistent with your elbow finishing higher on rows - hyperconsciousness causing an overemphasis of force production on the weaker side. I’m just speculating, though.
    Last edited by leidenesLK; 12-28-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would seek the advise of a medical professional preferably a sports physical therapist if you can.
    While you may be on the right track you are just speculating on what the problem could be.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    BP and pushups aren't meant to be a chest isolation exercise.
    Dear sir - copying and pasting in quotes below from my OP. I’m not trying to isolate during those exercises. I’m trying to fix my form on those exercises my being able to control my chest and shoulders properly...I keep getting tendinitis on the left side and I’ve nailed it down to my sets being overly active during certain movements when they shouldn’t be. Actually my traps and delts are both firing to help me move the weight more so on the left side than my right side.

On my right side I’m able to push (against a wall or in the air) and feel my chest activate - I feel my delt and it’s soft meaning it’s not active.

**^^ gone ^^**

Could be a multitude of issues causing it, so I can’t give a definitive answer without actually seeing you in person. Muscle imbalances, mobility restrictions, poor neurological habits are typically the causes. Your best bet would be to reset the weights on all movements causing you problems and try to ingrain symmetrical lifting habits.

Incorporate unilateral work too. However, keep in mind that unilateral work isn’t fool proof and in some ways has the potential to mask asymmetries in motion between sides because you aren’t moving the weights together, so the motion isn’t as easily compared. But it does assist in developing a mmc and ensures each side bears equal load.

Also, wouldn’t hurt to see a PT/med professional to assess any mobility restriction/weakness, muscle imbalance or neurological deficiency. I think it’s important every lifter does this once beyond the beginner stage. Imbalances are inevitable.

From the sounds of it, you lack general control in the shoulder girdle on your left side. If you’re finishing higher during bench, you aren’t keeping tight enough on that side and it’s coming up off the bench mid-rep. Either that or you’re hyperconscious of your lagging side, so you’re overemphasising force production on that side, sacrificing form. This sounds consistent with your elbow finishing higher on rows - hyperconsciousness causing an overemphasis of force production on the weaker side. I’m just speculating, though.
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    I would seek the advise of a medical professional preferably a sports physical therapist if you can.
    While you may be on the right track you are just speculating on what the problem could be.

Gotcha. I’m gonna have to try and get a mirror or something for my garage. Thread on that coming.

I would rather try that first then give money to docs. My isnurance plan is full load of crap but also a blessing to have if there was a major medical disaster.
    **^^ gone ^^**

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dear sir - copying and pasting in quotes below from my OP. I’m not trying to isolate during those exercises. I’m trying to fix my form on those exercises my being able to control my chest and shoulders properly...I keep getting tendinitis on the left side and I’ve nailed it down to my sets being overly active during certain movements when they shouldn’t be. Actually my traps and delts are both firing to help me move the weight more so on the left side than my right side.
    From some of your posts I think your level of body awareness isn't as acute as you think, and is leading you down diff rabbit holes every week. Regardless, good luck with whatever you think the issue is.

On my right I feel the side of the pec towards my armpit fire, towards the strenum fire and also fire towards the middle of the chest.

When I do the same for my left side, the side towards the armpit has a 80% squeeze/fire of what I THINK it should be. Towards the sternum and mid chest it’s not even 50%. All the while my front delt is firing atleast 50% or more.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    From some of your posts I think your level of body awareness isn't as acute as you think, and is leading you down diff rabbit holes every week. Regardless, good luck with whatever you think the issue is.
    I know man...I went to see a doc a few months back and he didn’t find any issues. But back then I was not aware of my left shoulder moving so much more differently than my right.

He kinda brushed me off imo cuz I don’t look like I even lift lol I need to loose maybe 15lbs of lard but that’s gonna have to wait till after winter is done with.

I’m using videos and actually pushing on the muscle with my fingers while I contract it. This delt activation when I try to contact my chest is something I stumbled upon just a few days ago.

I’ll work on it. Between my sets I am doing MMC exercises to see if I can get a grip on my pecs and delts like I did with my lats and glutes a while back.

I would’ve given up on BB already but this forum and the equipment in my garage keeps me going. Thanks y’all!
    **^^ gone ^^**