BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thoughts on light upper workout

I’m considering adding a light upper body day to my routine, probably on a Monday after work (if I work, we normally don’t work Monday)

-CGBP 3x6-8, 2-3 warm up sets
    (I chose this over reverse grip because I can use more weight with a bb than doing rgbp with dumbbells)
    -Straight arm pulldown 3x6-8, 2-3 warm up sets
    -Hammer curl 2x6-8, no warm up
    -Cable lateral raises 2x6-8, no warm up

(Triceps after CGBP and straight arm pull downs are usually trashed)

Thoughts on exercise selection?

Disclaimer: Slightly heavier sets at a moderate rep range work best for me for secondary and assistance work, so I’m not gonna fix what isn’t broken.

Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yea it doesn’t seem like it would be taxing if that’s what you were worried about. Pretty good general workout. Hits everything that needs to be hit.

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What does the rest of your routine look like? Volume looks a little low tbh, but that might be your aim. Exercise selection is good, but I would opt for a row over SAPD to better compliment the CGBP. Probably need to see the full picture, though.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by leidenesLK View Post
    What does the rest of your routine look like? Volume looks a little low tbh, but that might be your aim. Exercise selection is good, but I would opt for a row over SAPD to better compliment the CGBP. Probably need to see the full picture, though.
    Heavy upper (Saturday’s)
    -Chest press (machine) 3x5-6
    -Chest supported row machine 3x5-6 paused
    (Going back to bb rows for a while starting next workout though)
    -Seated dB press no back support 2x6-8
    -Wide or neutral grip lat pull downs 2x6-8
    -Tricep pressdowns 2x6-8
    (Done leaning, to work the abs and tri long head better)
    -Incline curls 2x6-8

Disclaimer: bb bench tends to piss off my left shoulder, while machine keeps constant tension and lets me use a thumbless grip safely without the contribution of my legs to the movement

I also do 3x8 band pull aparts with a 5 lbs band (called “no moneys”) after every upper or full body workout

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Heavy upper (Saturday’s)
    -Tricep pressdowns 2x6-8
    -Incline curls 2x6-8

Disclaimer: bb bench tends to piss off my left shoulder, while machine keeps constant tension and lets me use a thumbless grip safely without the contribution of my legs to the movement

I also do 3x8 band pull aparts with a 5 lbs band (called “no moneys”) after every upper or full body workout
    For clarity, this Light Upper day is in addition to your current Heavy Upper/Lower days plus your two fb calisthenics days? Meaning it’s not replacing one of the fb days?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    For clarity, this Light Upper day is in addition to your current Heavy Upper/Lower days plus your two fb calisthenics days? Meaning it’s not replacing one of the fb days?
    Not replacing, supplementing

Could throw some light pec deck in on it as well

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not replacing, supplementing

Could throw some light pec deck in on it as well
    Looks good as long as you feel fine with whatever you also do on the calisthenics days and can schedule everything in a way that works for you.

Looks good as long as you feel fine with whatever you also do on the calisthenics days and can schedule everything in a way that works for you.
    Calisthenics/band days are simple, push ups, hip thrust off my couch, band rows or lat pulldowns, deep ass to calves squats, bird dogs, and more pull aparts. I’m thinking about making a small stand with a bar so I can do rows at home.

Calisthenics/band days are simple, push ups, hip thrust off my couch, band rows or lat pulldowns, deep ass to calves squats, bird dogs, and more pull aparts. I’m thinking about making a small stand with a bar so I can do rows at home.
    Got it. You’re not a petite man from what I recall so figured your calisthenics days could be potentially grueling. 😀

leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) leidenesLK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Heavy upper (Saturday’s)
    -Tricep pressdowns 2x6-8
    -Incline curls 2x6-8

That upper day looks more well-rounded to me. I would just stick to that format and sub out the movements, alter the rep scheme, change order of compounds etc for the light day. But if you wanted to be fairly minimal in your light upper day I’d just add rows to it, so:

-CGBP x3 (horizontal push)
    -Rows x3 (horizontal pull)
    -Lateral Raise x2 (somewhat vertical push)
    -SAPD x2 (somewhat vertical pull)
    -Arms

I actually ran something a while ago, which looks very similar to yours:

A

Bench Press 3x4-6
    Pendlay Row 3x4-6
    Incline Press 2x8-12
    Lat Pulldown 2x8-12
    Lateral Raise / Face Pulls 2x12-15 (supersets)
    Skullcrushers / Dumbbell Curls 2x10-12 (supersets)

B

Pull-Ups 3x4-6
    Overhead Press 3x4-6
    Cable Rows 2x8-12
    Dumbbell Bench 2x8-12
    Face Pulls / Incline Flys 2x12-15 (supersets)
    Barbell Curls / Tricep Pushdown 2x10-12 (supersets)

That upper day looks more well-rounded to me. I would just stick to that format and sub out the movements, alter the rep scheme, change order of compounds etc for the light day. But if you wanted to be fairly minimal in your light upper day I’d just add rows to it, so:

-CGBP x3 (horizontal push)
    -Rows x3 (horizontal pull)
    -Lateral Raise x2 (somewhat vertical push)
    -SAPD x2 (somewhat vertical pull)
    -Arms

I actually ran something a while ago, which looks very similar to yours:

A

Bench Press 3x4-6
    Pendlay Row 3x4-6
    Incline Press 2x8-12
    Lat Pulldown 2x8-12
    Lateral Raise / Face Pulls 2x12-15 (supersets)
    Skullcrushers / Dumbbell Curls 2x10-12 (supersets)

B

Pull-Ups 3x4-6
    Overhead Press 3x4-6
    Cable Rows 2x8-12
    Dumbbell Bench 2x8-12
    Face Pulls / Incline Flys 2x12-15 (supersets)
    Barbell Curls / Tricep Pushdown 2x10-12 (supersets)
    That’s a good idea, I could use chest supported rows for that purpose.

Subsequently I’ve been thinking just working them into my full body days

Diamond pushups
    Band lateral raises
    Band reverse grip chest press
    Band straight arm pulldowns
    Band hammer curls

And so on

For the record, I’m not one to constantly change up my programs but I do like to experiment with different movements, but the core squat, hinge, single leg, push, press, pull (horizontal and vertical) is always there.

Got it. You’re not a petite man ffrom what I recall so figured your calisthenics days could be potentially grueling.
    After work, I barely feel like doing anything extra honestly but I do because I wanna be strong AND pretty. I’m gonna write my ideas down on how to do my home workouts, and try to incorporate some more variety.

I’m gonna need some more band poundage....

For the record, I’m not one to constantly change up my programs but I do like to experiment with different movements, but the core squat, hinge, single leg, push, press, pull (horizontal and vertical) is always there.
    All good man. Nothing wrong with experimenting - you could stumble upon a hidden gem. Yep, sounds like you’re already doing what would account for most of your potential growth as the base of your program. Any further considerations outside of that are just finishing touches or an exercise in futility.

After work, I barely feel like doing anything extra honestly but I do because I wanna be strong AND pretty. I’m gonna write my ideas down on how to do my home workouts, and try to incorporate some more variety.

I’m gonna need some more band poundage....
    If you’re adding an extra gym day anyway have you considered dropping one of the two calisthenics fb days and doing a “Medium” but complete fb weights day? Might be able to get more bang for your buck without the extra day during the week.

If you’re adding an extra gym day anyway have you considered dropping one of the two calisthenics fb days and doing a “Medium” but complete fb weights day? Might be able to get more bang for your buck without the extra day during the week.

Yeah, but getting to the gym is difficult throughout the week with everything else (ie, life) considered, hence the part about incorporating some more exercises into 2 separate home workouts instead of just doing the same thing both days...

OR....

Going straight to the gym after work and getting home a few hrs later than normal....I’m definitely gonna give that some thought though, maybe move my single leg work from Sunday to Tuesday with the above exercises, and do a home workout 1x a week

So it would be:
    -Single leg presses 3x6-8 superset with 30 second glute bridge holds
    -CGBP 3x6-8
    -Straight arm pull downs 2x6-8
    -Chest supported rows 3x6-8 or inverted rows 3x8
    -Hammer curls 2x6-8
    -Pec deck 2x6-8
    -Lateral raises 2x6-8
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 12-24-2020 at 09:19 PM.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Do you have any pet animals, like maybe a big dog?

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Do you have any pet animals, like maybe a big dog?
    No Paul.

Lmao

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The answer is ofc.
    Looks fine mate.

Hit it and Log it. Then assess.
    GET STUCK IN and don't over think it.

We are already past that whole match push/pull and vert/horiz bs..

Get the work inJust don't blow your load on every set xD

My personal opinion is straight arm pull downs are **** tho, too awkward to use enough weight for me to get an good set in.. Unless I go well over 20reps. But that's me, not you.. And you like em. #individualised

Follow the trail of athlete responce
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 12-25-2020 at 03:05 PM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    We are already past that whole match push/pull and vert/horiz bs..

My personal opinion is straight arm pull downs are **** tho, too awkward to use enough weight for me to get an good set in.. Unless I go well over 20reps. But that's me, not you.. And you like em. #individualised
    The planar push/pull recommendation was more to ensure that the upper body was hit well, as opposed to promoting balance. So vert push/pull would imply some form of lat and shoulder work, hor push/pull for chest and upper back. With that in mind, I personally think it’s important an upper workout covers the vert/hor push/pulls just from a muscular development point of view. It’s why I counted lateral raises and straight-arm pulldowns as somewhat vert push/pulls when they’re not considered as such in traditional upper/lowers from a ‘good balance’ point of view.

x2 on the straight-arm pulldowns. Terrible movement IMO. Throw pullovers in there too.

The planar push/pull recommendation was more to ensure that the upper body was hit well, as opposed to promoting balance. So vert push/pull would imply some form of lat and shoulder work, hor push/pull for chest and upper back. With that in mind, I personally think it’s important an upper workout covers the vert/hor push/pulls just from a muscular development point of view. It’s why I counted lateral raises and straight-arm pulldowns as somewhat vert push/pulls when they’re not considered as such in traditional upper/lowers from a ‘good balance’ point of view.

x2 on the straight-arm pulldowns. Terrible movement IMO. Throw pullovers in there too.
    I used to be a big believer in machine pullovers, until I started doing straight arm pulldowns with my torso bent and hip pushed back slightly.

I used to be a big believer in machine pullovers, until I started doing straight arm pulldowns with my torso bent and hip pushed back slightly.
    Don’t get me wrong, my lats really light up when I do em right. My preference was one-handed with a rope really getting the arm behind the torso and squeezing the lats. They just never did anything for me development-wise and they have a terrible strength curve. I can see the value in them to help connect with the lats prior to bigger vertical pulls (pull-ups/chins/pulldowns), but I wouldn’t recommend them as a suitable replacement. If my upper workouts weren’t so stacked, I’d definitely add them every now and then for a nice pump. I see them as the tricep kickbacks of lat movements.

Don’t get me wrong, my lats really light up when I do em right. My preference was one-handed with a rope really getting the arm behind the torso and squeezing the lats. They just never did anything for me development-wise and they have a terrible strength curve. I can see the value in them to help connect with the lats prior to bigger vertical pulls (pull-ups/chins/pulldowns), but I wouldn’t recommend them as a suitable replacement. If my upper workouts weren’t so stacked, I’d definitely add them every now and then for a nice pump. I see them as the tricep kickbacks of lat movements.
    I’ve got some good development out of them, but that is what makes everyone different

Incline triceps kickbacks are underrated

I’ve got some good development out of them, but that is what makes everyone different

Incline triceps kickbacks are underrated
    Yep, exactly right. If they work for you, definitely don’t stop doing them. I suffered with forearm tendinitis a while back and had to rely on them as my main lat builder and they assisted in developing a good mmc in the lats, but that was about it.

Interesting. I should probably give those a try. I tend not to deviate from lying extensions and pushdowns for triceps.