dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lower reps more likely to build imbalances?

Is there any correlation between lifting at higher intensities/lower reps and an increased likelihood of developing asymmetries? I’ve done 8+ reps for the majority of my training but this year was the first time I started training with higher intensities in the 3-5 rep range and I’m noticing greater asymmetries between chest, quads, lats etc than any other point in my training career.

Is it possible that heavier loads increase the likelihood of your dominant side taking over the lift, causing imbalances? Thanks

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I regularly incorporate 1-3 rep max sets on both compounds and isolations in combination with higher rep sets like x12, x10, x8, x6, sometimes as high as x15 or more and have not had any issues.

That’s just my personal experience. Not sure if there is any studies that have been done on it.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would say yes heavy weight are more likely to cause imbalances. When you get to X weight, your body will start trying to compensate and start favoring sides and moving around and just doing anything to make the lift easier. Also, heavier weight is harder to control and makes it harder to focus on equally applying force. You might just be focused on coming up and down and you have no idea if one side is doing more work than the other.

dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Brandon2576 View Post
    I would say yes heavy weight are more likely to cause imbalances. When you get to X weight, your body will start trying to compensate and start favoring sides and moving around and just doing anything to make the lift easier. Also, heavier weight is harder to control and makes it harder to focus on equally applying force. You might just be focused on coming up and down and you have no idea if one side is doing more work than the other.
    Yeah this makes sense. I’m also guilty of going to failure at times which I think adds to the issue.

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dairycorncarne View Post
    Yeah this makes sense. I’m also guilty of going to failure at times which I think adds to the issue.
    Imbalances could happen even if you are using less weight. You don't necessarily have to avoid going to failure or lower reps entirely, but when going heavier on those lower rep sets I would use a weight that you can control with good form and pay attention to your form throughout the exercise. Maybe see if you can notice if your form starts to compromise, etc. and then work to correct it.
    Last edited by health4life24; 12-24-2020 at 03:07 PM.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

Originally Posted by health4life24 View Post
    Imbalances could happen even if you are using less weight. You don't necessarily have to avoid going to failure or lower reps entirely, but when going heavier on those lower rep sets I would use a weight that you can control with good form and pay attention to your form throughout the exercise. Maybe see if you can notice if your form starts to compromise, etc. and then work to correct it.
    True that’s a good point. I’ll have to do that. Thanks for the help