Registered User FitnessWizard10's Avatar
    FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy HELP!! Weight Loss Plateau is getting me down :(

Hi Everyone,

I'm having issues with a weight loss plateau which is really getting to me and I'm worried about not reaching my goals. I am hoping to join the British Army and my fitness assessment is on 20th January 2021 where my BMI will need to be below 30.

My weight is currently 95kg (210lbs), and my BMI is at 31. In order to join the army I need to lose 3kg, but I'd like to lose 5kg and go down to 90kg (198lbs) just to be certain I will get in, however I have been this weight for the last 3 weeks and I only have 6/7 weeks to go.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I can switch it up and shed that final amount of weight?

At the start of 2020 I weighed 118kg (259 lbs) and since putting my goal of joining the army I have managed to lose 23kg (50lbs) which I am very proud of and feeling much better! I have done this through calorie counting, weight lifting, running and HIIT at least 4-5 times a week. My main focus has been on cutting carbs and calorie deficit. What else can I do?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    What about the 2 weeks before your plateau - did the scale show an unusually large loss?

You could just be retaining water and at some point it will drop and you'll suddenly lose a chunk of weight.

Or, if the rate of loss is steadily slowing you might need to decrease calories.

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You'll drop that and if you're slightly over on the bmi they won't bar you. They'll get you to lose it for basic training. Most important thing for your assessment centre, how quick can you run 1.5 mile?

FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FitnessWizard10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    You'll drop that and if you're slightly over on the bmi they won't bar you. They'll get you to lose it for basic training. Most important thing for your assessment centre, how quick can you run 1.5 mile?
    My 1 mile time is over a minute better than it needs to be - I can comfortably run this in 10 mins and the threshold is 11"30

Just want to make sure I can do it, have you done an assessment before?

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    What about the 2 weeks before your plateau - did the scale show an unusually large loss?

You could just be retaining water and at some point it will drop and you'll suddenly lose a chunk of weight.

Or, if the rate of loss is steadily slowing you might need to decrease calories.
    No, I didn't see anything unusual just a steady 0.5kg - 1kg per week loss

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by FitnessWizard10 View Post
    No, I didn't see anything unusual just a steady 0.5kg - 1kg per week loss
    OK so if you've been getting that rate of loss consistently since you started - and if you didn't change anything about your intake - then the most likely explanation is water retention. Just keep going, don't do anything except maybe double check the accuracy of your calorie counting.

OK so if you've been getting that rate of loss consistently since you started - and if you didn't change anything about your intake - then the most likely explanation is water retention. Just keep going, don't do anything except maybe double check the accuracy of your calorie counting.
    Ok, but what if it stays the same for the next few weeks? Will the water retention likely go before end of Jan?

Ok, but what if it stays the same for the next few weeks? Will the water retention likely go before end of Jan?
    Doesn't usually last more than a couple of weeks. Sometimes, a brief time upping calories to maintenance will make your body drop it.

Doesn't usually last more than a couple of weeks. Sometimes, a brief time upping calories to maintenance will make your body drop it.
    Thanks mate. I read about calorie "zig zagging" to stop the metabolism slowing down, so maybe a weekend of eating at 3,000cals rather than 2,200 would do some good

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My 1 mile time is over a minute better than it needs to be - I can comfortably run this in 10 mins and the threshold is 11"30

Just want to make sure I can do it, have you done an assessment before?
    Yes I was in the army. It was a mile and a half run and needed to be done in less than 10 minutes 30 seconds when I did it. 9 minutes 20 seconds for parachute regiment. I did 1.5 Mile in 9 minutes 2 seconds. Do they only make you run a mile now?

Thanks mate. I read about calorie "zig zagging" to stop the metabolism slowing down, so maybe a weekend of eating at 3,000cals rather than 2,200 would do some good
    That is a controversial topic. There *might* be some benefit from undulating calorie intake but it's always the long term average that determines actual amount lost. And you need at least 3 days at maintenance to impact the hormones involved. Honestly, I would just keep doing what you are doing. You won't suddenly go from 0.5kg a week to nothing at the same calorie level.

Yes I was in the army. It was a mile and a half run and needed to be done in less than 10 minutes 30 seconds when I did it. 9 minutes 20 seconds for parachute regiment. I did 1.5 Mile in 9 minutes 2 seconds. Do they only make you run a mile now?
    It's 2.5K in less than 11"30 required - so a mile and a half

I'm looking to go into RLC but I believe for Paras it is still under 9"30.

Infantry is 10"30 I believe

Did you enjoy the army?
    Last edited by FitnessWizard10; 12-03-2020 at 07:59 AM.

That is a controversial topic. There *might* be some benefit from undulating calorie intake but it's always the long term average that determines actual amount lost. And you need at least 3 days at maintenance to impact the hormones involved. Honestly, I would just keep doing what you are doing. You won't suddenly go from 0.5kg a week to nothing at the same calorie level.
    Thank you for this, it's putting my mind at rest

Going to up my cardio as well as that should have an effect

It's 2.5K in less than 11"30 required - so a mile and a half

I'm looking to go into RLC but I believe for Paras it is still under 9"30.

Infantry is 10"30 I believe

Did you enjoy the army?
    Keep doing lots of running mate and keep the weight loss going. Lots of push ups and pull ups, fitter you can be before you get to basic training the better. Army can be great if you make a career of it, just make sure you get a trade out of it. I went in infantry and went to afghan at the age of just 19. Lost my mate over there in a horrible way. I couldn't function in normal civilian life when I came back and I went to jail for 9 month and that was the end of my army career

Keep doing lots of running mate and keep the weight loss going. Lots of push ups and pull ups, fitter you can be before you get to basic training the better. Army can be great if you make a career of it, just make sure you get a trade out of it. I went in infantry and went to afghan at the age of just 19. Lost my mate over there in a horrible way. I couldn't function in normal civilian life when I came back and I went to jail for 9 month and that was the end of my army career
    Sorry to hear that mate. I am going to RLC to learn a trade and get a uni degree paid for, as the only worry I have is finding a job when I am out.

Will keep going with the running and bodyweight stuff, thank you for your help!