FlacoGordon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Spine pain while squatting

I've been sitting on my ass for a while now thanks to working from home, and just got back into lifting again. I've been progressing rapidly everywhere except my squats. I seem to get odd sharp but low intensity pains along my spine- as if my spine is compressing or something. It does not feel like muscle soreness and when I stop the lift I feel fine. I could probably squat a lot more- my form is still solid but I try to be cautious with my back and have not been pushing it. It almost feels like the weight on my back is just too much for my spine- and I'm not lifting anywhere near my max. Back/spine seems to do fine with lifts like overhead press. Obviously I don't want to end up with a bulged disc or something, but don't recall hearing about what this could be or how to eliminate it. Am I just weak in the stabilizer muscles?

MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Don't do it

If it hurts like that, don't do it. Find a squat variation that you *can* do and do that.

Injury will set you back much further than shaving some effectiveness through lighter squat variants.
    330->210. Drop me a PM if you're just getting started and want some advice.
    Do what you love and you'll never workout a day in your life.

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What exercises are you doing for lower back?

Originally Posted by ezra76 View Post
    What exercises are you doing for lower back?
    Other than Squats, Deadlifts

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by FlacoGordon View Post
    Other than Squats, Deadlifts
    Squats can be tough on lower back. Do you think your form is an issue? I'd say try front squats in the 8-10 rep range for a few workouts. Possibly try some romanian deadlifts in same rep range for a few wouts as well in place of deadlifts.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Post a form video.

Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Zjunky is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Posters above have made valid points.

You also might want to try the exercise with no weight. If that still hurts, check with a Dr.

We go to the gym to better ourselves. Compounding an injury can set you back significantly.

Thanks all. I'll try my workout today with the suggestions and see.

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    After a back injury I stopped doing back squats, there's just too much temptation to go a bit too heavy and start cheating by leaning forward.

I now do front squats. Sadly you are limited somewhat to how much you can hold on the front of your shoulders, but I find them to be very lower back friendly and they do put a lot of focus on the quads.

Hypernation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hypernation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hypernation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hypernation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hypernation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hypernation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hypernation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hypernation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hypernation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hypernation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hypernation has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Where in your back is the pain? Neck, mid-back, lower?

Any shooting pain or pins and needles in arms or legs?

If you’ve taken time off your ligamentous attachments have weakened. Muscle builds exponentially faster than tendon/ligament.

Take it easy. Progress much slower. Focus on form.
    You have my word as a Schons.

Thanks. Unfortunately things got worse since I started the thread- I started having pain even when not working out. Luckily, it is really a mild pain- like 2 -3 at worst, but something is clearly 'wrong'. Mainly lower and mid back, kind of a general creakiness rather than localized to one place. No shooing or limb pain. Still feels like it is coming from my spine rather than the muscle soreness. I took a week off and then started some stretching and strengthening exercises which seem to help. I have started workouts and am taking it easy with fingers crossed.

asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) asrl78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had this a couple of years ago when squatting. It turned out to be a technique flaw where I sat back too far on the way down, and compensated by leaning further forward, then when coming up I was almost doing a good morning. A video side on will show this if it is an issue.

StupidBells is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Similar thing happened to me. After being stuck at home, I finally got back into the weights. I took everything nice and slow (I was lifting well below my max). Everything else was fine but squats seemed to really aggravate things for me. I kept trying to tweak things and train my way out of it but ended up making things worse. It's been months since then, and my back is only now beginning to improve.

Some things that helped:
    applying heat (this is sweet relief when you need a break from the pain);
    stretching (safely - i.e. don't do big hamstring or hipflexor stretches is your lower back is sore - do things like trying to stand really tall with your hands outstretched);
    cold shower (if the pain is chronic this can help - my theory is it shocks your nervous system and stops you from dialling back into your pain);
    no more lower body work outs (to be honest just getting back to normal has been the priority and that has meant putting lower body workouts on hold - I've tried numerous variations e.g. front squats etc, but pretty much most exercises will cause me grief - I'm still trying to figure out how to get back to doing proper leg work outs which really sucks but better to able to do normal things than be crippled or with chronic back pain

NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Things I found helped me with a similar problem...

Add SLDL into regular routine to build strength in lower back.

SLDL as a pre-squat warm up to activate lower back and hamstrings first (found waking up hamstrings helped pull kneecaps tighter and reduced knee pain).

Work up in weight slowly and focus on really good form.