IIliftweights is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I want to get stronger

Hello, a little about me. I'm 22 about 6'0 and I weigh 216lbs. I'm not super high on bf% probably around 15%. I got like 16" arms cold prob 16.25 with a pump. I'm pretty big in general.

Best lifts to date:

Bench press:
    225 for 13 reps.
    295 for a single bench

Squat:
    315 8 reps ATG. Never did a one rep and gyms just closed down where I was...I bought a squat rack off amazon and I'll be back on my workout.
    I've done 365 for a single but my legs are definitely a lot stronger.

Deadlift: I haven't done that since HS LOL. My best was 455 when I was 18 and I quit after that.

I've been on/off working out for the last few years cause of college/partying. But I was back at the gym recently until they shut down. I got weights n my basement.

I don't care much for the squat as my legs are very strong and I have no doubt I can hit 405 within a few weeks of consistent training. But my bench has been stuck. I want to hit 3 plates. Anyone have a good program to raise my bench by 20lbs? It doesn't seem far but yet it does at the same time

Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brandon2576 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey, I don't really know any programs specifically, but I do know that if you are looking for one look for one that has you doing lots of bench. Strength is a specific skill, so you will see the best strength gains when you are constantly practicing the movement. Right now, I am benching and overhead pressing three times per week, and I have never seen such fast gains for my pressing. A really good program in my opinion is going to optimize frequency. I think for the bench press itself a program that has you pressing three or four times a week is most optimal. It doesn't have to be the bench press three times a week; it can be a bench press once a week and then variations like pin press, DB bench, incline, decline, floor press, close grip, wide grip, etc.
    {I also prefer to have volume phases in my program where I do lots of reps and then slowly dwindle down to realization (heavy) phases. In order to get a big bench you are going to have to lift heavy, but I think that if you spend some time doing some higher reps you will get better gains when you get into your heavier phases. }

MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by IIliftweights View Post
    Hello, a little about me. I'm 22 about 6'0 and I weigh 216lbs. I'm not super high on bf% probably around 15%. I got like 16" arms cold prob 16.25 with a pump. I'm pretty big in general.

Best lifts to date:

Bench press:
    225 for 13 reps.
    295 for a single bench

Squat:
    315 8 reps ATG. Never did a one rep and gyms just closed down where I was...I bought a squat rack off amazon and I'll be back on my workout.
    I've done 365 for a single but my legs are definitely a lot stronger.

Deadlift: I haven't done that since HS LOL. My best was 455 when I was 18 and I quit after that.

I've been on/off working out for the last few years cause of college/partying. But I was back at the gym recently until they shut down. I got weights n my basement.

I don't care much for the squat as my legs are very strong and I have no doubt I can hit 405 within a few weeks of consistent training. But my bench has been stuck. I want to hit 3 plates. Anyone have a good program to raise my bench by 20lbs? It doesn't seem far but yet it does at the same time
    so in your thread you say you want get stronger... but it seems like you only want get stronger in the bench press and don't care much about getting stronger in any other lifts that much. Everyone wants to bench press more and in my opinion it is the least indicator of real world strength compared to squat, deadlift, military press and clean & Jerk.

If you want to raise your bench press by 20 lbs it shouldn't be that hard to do you just got be disciplined. Have you tried putting rubber bands on ends of your olympic bar to add resistance at top? Or Chains? Have you tried modifying your lifting form? Have you tried putting pins at your lockout point and lifting off those pins? How about negative bench press reps... have a partner help you lower a weight that is heavier than you can lift and have the partner help you lift the weight up. When I trained in Frantz Powerlifting gym as a kid Ernie taught me doing heavy negatives with the assistance of a lifting buddy can help you increase your bench press. How about doing pyramids? week 1 - 10 reps/each set, week 2 - 8 reps/ each set/ week 3 - 6 reps each set/ week 4 - 4 reps/ each set, week 5 - 3 reps/each set, week 6 - 2 reps/ each set, week 7 - 1 rep/ each set, week 8 - max attempt.