FUBAR91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Resistance bands workout, doing too much?

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked previosly I can imagine you get thousands of these threads..

New here and was a lurker but now ready to start working out. Gyms are closed here due to covid, probably until februari atm. I got myself some resistance bands tubes and getting some normal bands friday.
    My main goal is fat loss, kcals are set to 2350 to begin with. I myself weigh 105kg (27%bf) so its gonna be a long a bumpy road specially with gyms closed.

This workout i got in mind, upper/lower, with some cardio just for general health and to burn extra kcals

Upper

Lat pulldown
    Push ups
    Bent over rows
    Ohp/incline Push ups
    Straight arm pulldowns
    Reverse flyes/banded pull aparts
    Biceps/triceps? 2 sets only though

Lower

Squats
    Rdl
    Lunges/split squats
    Lying leg curls
    Lunges/step ups
    Calves+abs 2 sets aswell

This is kind of the layout
    I think i am gonna start 3x8 and push to 12 reps (maybe more for pull exercises?) before advancing in resistance, all would be done with resistance bands
    I was thinking of doing the incline /decline push ups and also OHP but thenI think I would be doing too much and the push+pull ratio would be a mess, so best stick to push ups and ohp right?
    Cardio, walks, think im too heavy to start running or a start to run app but dont think my joints will thank me. I might get a spinning bike but also think my ass would hurt at the start but guess its all a matter of getting used to it otherwise Im gonna keep walking, maybe add swimming since pools opened this week

Any thoughts guys?

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're just starting the routine doesn't matter too much; just pick something you can stick too. What you typed out above is fine. You can aim for 4 total workouts weekly.

You are correct in being concerned about running at the start and the stress it may have on your joints. You can incorporate some running but take it slow with the progression and give yourself a day off between sessions at least initially. I don't think you'll have much issues with a bike seat, people much bigger than you have used bikes comfortably. Just make sure you read through reviews on any potential purchase to make sure there are no obvious red flags.
    My website: healthierwithscience.com

FUBAR91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    If you're just starting the routine doesn't matter too much; just pick something you can stick too. What you typed out above is fine. You can aim for 4 total workouts weekly.

You are correct in being concerned about running at the start and the stress it may have on your joints. You can incorporate some running but take it slow with the progression and give yourself a day off between sessions at least initially. I don't think you'll have much issues with a bike seat, people much bigger than you have used bikes comfortably. Just make sure you read through reviews on any potential purchase to make sure there are no obvious red flags.
    Thanks man, so the order of exercises are good? I mean not too much or too "unbalanced"? Will only do push ups/ohp i think its the best instead of push ups/incline or decline push ups and ohp

Yeah but ive tried cycling and it hurts but yeah ive never cycled so that might be the thing. Might see how to approach this but like you said very slow progression ( 30 seconds running or something and 1 min to 1min30 walk for 2 or 3 weeks maybe 2x a week) or stick with walking an hour

Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Heisman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FUBAR91 View Post
    Thanks man, so the order of exercises are good? I mean not too much or too "unbalanced"? Will only do push ups/ohp i think its the best instead of push ups/incline or decline push ups and ohp

Yeah but ive tried cycling and it hurts but yeah ive never cycled so that might be the thing. Might see how to approach this but like you said very slow progression ( 30 seconds running or something and 1 min to 1min30 walk for 2 or 3 weeks maybe 2x a week) or stick with walking an hour
    I'd start by walking and then walking more briskly. Build up from there to jogging in intervals. If the seat itself is painful look into purchasing a special seat for your purpose.

Your exercise selection/order is fine. Don't overthink it. For complete beginners it's almost irrelevant what you do as long as you do something to challenge yourself and make progress.
    My website: healthierwithscience.com

NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Padded bike shorts are key to biking. Since they move with you, its a much better system (less friction/rubbing) than a padded seat, which generally will get in the way of your leg motion.

There's a difference in the foam technology between the $25 and the $70 pairs of bike shorts. I think its closed vs open cell foam. Do NOT put your bike shorts in the dryer, as it'll kill your shorts.

I'd say the 25 dollar pair is fine under 10-20 miles.

On a road bike, I also will stand periodically to give my "seat" a rest.

Regarding bands, the resistance is generally so minimal, I think you'd be better served googling mobility and lateral stability work with bands rather than thinking in terms of conventional gym muscle groups (like you did with the pull downs). For me I'd be thinking about lateral knee stability exercises and rotator cuff pre-hab.

For calories I think you'd be better off with burpees or jump rope than banded isolation exercises. I understand burpees are miserable though.