Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Not gaining strength

The first year of lifting I followed icf 5x5 and got to a 300 bench. 175 ohp. 335 squat. And 415 deadlift. After that I stalled on all lifts. I then tried 5/3/1 the following year No gains on bench. Then I tried 7/5/3 the year after that still nothing. Then mad cow the year after that still nothing. Now I’m just doing whatever. And can’t seem to raise it. My squat is going up slowly. But the bench none at all. Any recommendations what I should do? Right now I’m doing a upper/lower ppl

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    At your level gains are a grind. You have to ask yourself if its still worth it to bulk and cut in order to make very small gains in strength. I'm not sure what ULPPL template you're using but if its similar to the fierce 5 one then id say that is def enough volume and frequency for a late intermediate or advanced lifter. You can also try joker sets after your work sets if you've haven't already. I find those to be useful.

Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10) Johnmush is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    At your level gains are a grind. You have to ask yourself if its still worth it to bulk and cut in order to make very small gains in strength. I'm not sure what ULPPL template you're using but if its similar to the fierce 5 one then id say that is def enough volume and frequency for a late intermediate or advanced lifter. You can also try joker sets after your work sets if you've haven't already. I find those to be useful.
    Yes it’s similar to fierce just the exercise selection is a bit different.so more than likely over the course of the years I didn’t even make no muscle gain in my chest since I didn’t gain any strength? It basically my most lagging muscle
    I’m thinking of widening my bench grip to see if that helps any

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Johnmush View Post
    Yes it’s similar to fierce just the exercise selection is a bit different.so more than likely over the course of the years I didn’t even make no muscle gain in my chest since I didn’t gain any strength? It basically my most lagging muscle
    I’m thinking of widening my bench grip to see if that helps any
    What is your height/weight? I doubt your chest or upper body is lagging with a 300 lb bench. That’s a strong lift for an average sized male. Your ohp is also impressive.

Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000)
    The first year of lifting I followed icf 5x5 and got to a 300 bench. 175 ohp. 335 squat. And 415 deadlift. After that I stalled on all lifts. I then tried 5/3/1 the following year No gains on bench. Then I tried 7/5/3 the year after that still nothing. Then mad cow the year after that still nothing. Now I’m just doing whatever. And can’t seem to raise it. My squat is going up slowly. But the bench none at all. Any recommendations what I should do? Right now I’m doing a upper/lower ppl
    The Bench and Overhead Press gains you made in just a year is insane. Are these your 1 rep maxes ??.
    Personal bests

S: 148kg
    B: 101kg
    D: 154kg
    O.H.P: 74kg
    C.U: 31kg

tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I suppose at your level thats normal. The best way to raise your bench is to add bodyweight.
    531 Workout Journal https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179104531&page=1

Originally Posted by Gringer View Post
    The Bench and Overhead Press gains you made in just a year is insane. Are these your 1 rep maxes ??.
    Yes those are my one rep maxes. I got a 295 bench at the 8 month mark and the extra 5 pounds at the year mark.

NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Congrats on 300!

I'd actually say its time to work on your squat.

If you're convinced you need to stay focused on bench. Start hitting incline, flat and then dips. Followed by chest flys and tricep pushdowns.

Between 300 and 375 my chest responded great to volume, its just going to hurt.

What is your height/weight? I doubt your chest or upper body is lagging with a 300 lb bench. That’s a strong lift for an average sized male. Your ohp is also impressive.
    I’m 5’9 and I hover around 180-185
    But I’m not shredded or anything at that weight just comfortable

Originally Posted by NomadNA View Post
    Congrats on 300!

I'd actually say its time to work on your squat.

If you're convinced you need to stay focused on bench. Start hitting incline, flat and then dips. Followed by chest flys and tricep pushdowns.

Between 300 and 375 my chest responded great to volume, its just going to hurt.
    Yeah I really want to hit the 3 plate bench.that’s probably what I’m gonna have to do is hammer it with a lot of volume. But I cannot do dips Hurts my shoulders and sternum

Yeah I really want to hit the 3 plate bench.that’s probably what I’m gonna have to do is hammer it with a lot of volume. But I cannot do dips Hurts my shoulders and sternum
    Mid 190s will get you there. Small surplus over 4-6 months along with what you’re already doing. Once you hit your goal diet the fat off.

MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One of the best ways I found to raise the bench press at least for me was to add things like chains and bands to the barbells. I know it seems silly but it really seems to help. When I trained years ago at a powerlifting Gym some of the lifters would add on each end of the barbell chains or bands to make the top portion of the lift more difficult.

I also found things like pyramids week 1-12 reps, week 2-10 reps, week 3-8 reps, week 4-6 reps, week 5-4 reps, week 6-2 reps, week 7-1 reps, week 8-1 reps, week 9 max attempt, etc.

I liked to in a rack set pins where my lockout/hangup always seemed to be and then press the barbell off the pins at the halfway point I struggled with. I would overload the barbell with more weight then I usually use for bench press and focus on lockouts.

How about completely changing your bench press form? You may at first be at first weaker but in the long run it may help. In my younger days I would take a very wide overhand grip on the barbell but this would be murder on my shoulders. Later I switched to benching heavy with an underhand grip. At first i was much weaker with it, but eventually it got back up to the numbers I used with an overhand grip. Way easier on the shoulders and allowed me to train heavy more often without killing my shoulders.

Originally Posted by MarsScorpio View Post
    One of the best ways I found to raise the bench press at least for me was to add things like chains and bands to the barbells. I know it seems silly but it really seems to help. When I trained years ago at a powerlifting Gym some of the lifters would add on each end of the barbell chains or bands to make the top portion of the lift more difficult.

I also found things like pyramids week 1-12 reps, week 2-10 reps, week 3-8 reps, week 4-6 reps, week 5-4 reps, week 6-2 reps, week 7-1 reps, week 8-1 reps, week 9 max attempt, etc.

I liked to in a rack set pins where my lockout/hangup always seemed to be and then press the barbell off the pins at the halfway point I struggled with. I would overload the barbell with more weight then I usually use for bench press and focus on lockouts.

How about completely changing your bench press form? You may at first be at first weaker but in the long run it may help. In my younger days I would take a very wide overhand grip on the barbell but this would be murder on my shoulders. Later I switched to benching heavy with an underhand grip. At first i was much weaker with it, but eventually it got back up to the numbers I used with an overhand grip. Way easier on the shoulders and allowed me to train heavy more often without killing my shoulders.
    I’m gonna have to try to implement the bands and chains into my workout and I’m also working on widening my grip. Thanks for the tips

OriginalWear is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just keep at it your current program my guess is you're switching too fast, remember its not all in the numbers and everyone's response to certain programs is not going to be the same. Go harder than last time either more reps, do sets of failure, pause reps or partial reps. Whatever you can do to make your lifts harder. In no time you will see your strength get up! Its a marathon not a race my man.

NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah I really want to hit the 3 plate bench. that’s probably what I’m gonna have to do is hammer it with a lot of volume. But I cannot do dips Hurts my shoulders and sternum
    3 plates is definately a great feeling.

You're probably aware of this substitution but how's decline bench for you instead of dips.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is this a 300 lbs bench with a small arch, decent leg drive and full rom bench pressor one of those stupid high arch, ass coming off the seat, smelling pre-lift bath salts bench presses?

Because that makes a difference.

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Is this a 300 lbs bench with a small arch, decent leg drive and full rom bench pressor one of those stupid high arch, ass coming off the seat, smelling pre-lift bath salts bench presses?

I always assume full rom, good leg drive, sm arch, stay on bench, controlled descent and a brief pause. None of that Antonio Brown 315 benching lol

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I always assume full rom, good leg drive, sm arch, stay on bench, controlled descent and a brief pause. None of that Antonio Brown 315 benching lol
    Sorry that was meant for OP lol

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post

I'll have to keep an eye out. I haven't seen anyone punk out on BP ROM in decades.

Anyone have a credible source/link that cares about arch size with a planted butt?

Originally Posted by NomadNA View Post
    I'll have to keep an eye out. I haven't seen anyone punk out on BP ROM in decades.

Anyone have a credible source/link that cares about arch size with a planted butt?
    I just witnessed this phenomenon yesterday myself. Some twink was stomping around the gym sniffing something really loud, had his belt on, dramatically wrapping his wrist, then performing the aforementioned ass lift and arch to barely get 2 reps with 3 plates. I’m 90% sure the spotter did more work than he did. People do similarly cringe things before they squat or deadlift too.