potatobear is on a distinguished road. (+10)

15 minutes a day workout

Hi!

Since a few years I do a 10 minute full body HIIT workout every morning, but would like to build a bit more muscle without changing the frequency/ duration much.

There are two main reasons I want to stick to a daily but short workout:
    1) Short workouts work way better for me because of my schedule and because of willpower (there is way less willpower needed for me to stick to more frequent, less intense workouts).
    2) I feel irritated and more aggressive after a long and intense workout, whereas I feel amazing after a less intense one. (I'm aware that this is not what most experience but it has been consistent for me for multiple years).

Therefore I want to do a 3 day split 2 times per week.

Day1: breat, shoulders, triceps
    Day2: back, biceps
    Day3: legs and core

Day4: breat, shoulders, triceps
    Day5: back, biceps
    Day6: legs and core

Day7: rest

-> 3 exercises per day with 3 sets each.

Disclaimer: I know that this is not the usual approach and might be less effective, which is totally fine for me. I rather do a less effective workout which I can easily stick to for years versus going on and off.

Can this work? How would you improve it?

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    That's called a PPL (push pull legs). As far as specific exercises for each PPL day, look at the AllPro routine up in the stickies. You can also google search "Coolcicada PPL". Some exercise is better than no exercise. The best amount of exercise is the amount that you will stick with for long term.

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It is doable but if you want to only take 10-15min per workout you may be limiting yourself to bodyweight exercises mostly. If you have a couple of dumbbells you can probably bang out a few sets fairly quickly but things like barbell squats can be time consuming. Just setup and warm-up sets alone can take 10-15 min depending on how much weight you are lifting.

If you are relatively new to lifting and have modest goals for muscle growth you certainly can do well with bodyweight exercises.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd rather skip working out rather than do 15 minutes. Less wasted time, same result.

That amount of time may be fine for a bit of cardio. For weight training beyond the first few days, forget about it.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

potatobear is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    That's called a PPL (push pull legs).
    Thanks, this looks indeed very similar. Biggest difference seems to be the lower amount of exercises.

Originally Posted by beowulf359 View Post
    Just setup and warm-up sets alone can take 10-15 min depending on how much weight you are lifting.

If you are relatively new to lifting and have modest goals for muscle growth you certainly can do well with bodyweight exercises.
    Warm-up is a good point. I do have barbells and expanders at home and am considering doing superslow motions to avoid warm-up and still prevent injury.

I trained for 10 years or so (in the classic way) but not for the last couple years, so bascially novice state again.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    I'd rather skip working out rather than do 15 minutes. Less wasted time, same result.
    Can you elaborate on that? The amount of exercises and sets is similar to a full body workout done two times a week. Also each muscle group gets hit two times a week. So I would expect similar results.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by potatobear View Post
    The amount of exercises and sets is similar to a full body workout done two times a week. Also each muscle group gets hit two times a week. So I would expect similar results.
    First, a full body workout 2x/week tends not to be an optimal setup either.

If you want to do 3 exercises per day, 3 sets each, 6 days/week, you can see decent results. But you want to put a time limit of 15 minutes for each workout, and make them less intense (which does coincide well with your time limit).

If you want to work out less overall, you should be working out more intensely, not half-a**ing it. Your same workout template with the right exercises and intensity could take someone approaching it differently 45-60 mins+ each workout, including warmup sets and rest.

1) Short workouts work way better for me because of my schedule and because of willpower (there is way less willpower needed for me to stick to more frequent, less intense workouts).
    2) I feel irritated and more aggressive after a long and intense workout, whereas I feel amazing after a less intense one. (I'm aware that this is not what most experience but it has been consistent for me for multiple years).

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can you elaborate on that? The amount of exercises and sets is similar to a full body workout done two times a week. Also each muscle group gets hit two times a week. So I would expect similar results.
    You're only setting aside 1.5 hours/week for weight training. That's very little.

So yes, you'll see similar results however you split it. It just won't be very much.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Little invested, little gained.

But you do you, OP. Something is better than nothing.

Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100)
    Hi!

Since a few years I do a 10 minute full body HIIT workout every morning, but would like to build a bit more muscle without changing the frequency/ duration much.

There are two main reasons I want to stick to a daily but short workout:

Therefore I want to do a 3 day split 2 times per week.

Day1: breat, shoulders, triceps
    Day2: back, biceps
    Day3: legs and core

Day4: breat, shoulders, triceps
    Day5: back, biceps
    Day6: legs and core

Day7: rest

-> 3 exercises per day with 3 sets each.

Disclaimer: I know that this is not the usual approach and might be less effective, which is totally fine for me. I rather do a less effective workout which I can easily stick to for years versus going on and off.

Can this work? How would you improve it?
    I hate shoulder workout!

IIliftweights is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Try to do it for at least 30 mins and work up to 45 mins. I time myself at the gym and make sure I'm there for at least an hour. That's just me though. I do follow a PPL program which has been very efficient for me. I'm not super strong but I look good, my physique is well balanced. I've been lifting weights since 15 tho...I'm 22 now.