dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Low rep pull ups dangerous?

I’m running lyles GBR upper lower routine, currently doing the powerbuilding cycle. This cycle calls for main lifts to be done for sets of 5 and assistance lifts for sets of 8-12. One of the guys at my gym saw me doing sets of 5 for pull ups and said that I’m asking for an elbow tendon injury going that heavy. Just wondering if anyone else has incorporated low rep pull ups in their routine and how did they feel etc. Has anyone here run lyles GBR?

My upper days (showing compounds only) are as follows below:

Upper 1

Bench Press 3x4-6
    Barbell Rows 3x4-6
    Incline Press 2x8-12
    Lat Pulldown 2x8-12

Upper 2

Weighted Pull-Ups 3x4-6
    Overhead Press 3x4-6
    Dumbbell Rows 2x8-12
    Flat Dumbbell Press 2x8-12

Thanks

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It can make your elbow hurt but I still do lower rep weighted pullups quite a lot and get away with it. I guess higher reps might be less likely to but it's not just about absolute load but total workload too. As with anything, you can adapt to it if you approach it with small incremental increases. After all what you are doing sets of 5 with today might be more like sets of 10 in the future and they will feel "light" but the absolute strain on the tendon is still the same - but by then you should have adapted to that strain, even connective tissue gets stronger and thicker with steady progressive overload.

dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dairycorncarne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It can make your elbow hurt but I still do lower rep weighted pullups quite a lot and get away with it. I guess higher reps might be less likely to but it's not just about absolute load but total workload too. As with anything, you can adapt to it if you approach it with small incremental increases. After all what you are doing sets of 5 with today might be more like sets of 10 in the future and they will feel "light" but the absolute strain on the tendon is still the same - but by then you should have adapted to that strain, even connective tissue gets stronger and thicker with steady progressive overload.
    That actually makes a lot of sense. How low in reps do you go for weighted pull-ups?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dairycorncarne View Post
    That actually makes a lot of sense. How low in reps do you go for weighted pull-ups?
    3-8 reps usually but sometimes I get down to singles. Bear in mind I usually start at a lower weight and pyramid up so only the last set is around an RPE 9. If I was grinding out 4 sets of to-failure low reps, I imagine my elbows would start to suffer...

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    3-8 reps usually but sometimes I get down to singles. Bear in mind I usually start at a lower weight and pyramid up so only the last set is around an RPE 9. If I was grinding out 4 sets of to-failure low reps, I imagine my elbows would start to suffer...
    Ahh okay. Thank you for your help