Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Can't overhead press and probably soon bench press - need guidance please

I'm wanting to know if doing bench presses or pushups will suffice for my main pushing exercise.

I basically have floating bone spurs in my elbows and any overhead or tricep work sets me back weeks , so it's only horizontal pushing exercises that don't hurt, so until covid is over I can't get it fixed, but I'm worried that if I don't do any vertical work, I'll set myself up for worse injuries?

I've also tried elbow sleeves (from 1-4 ply) doesn't change it.

I'm worried about only doing bench press due to the strain, so would pushups be fine if I can't bench??

My upper body portion looks like this (lower body irrelevant In this)

Day 1
    Bench press or Pushups
    Pulldowns 
    E-Z curls

Day 2
    Bench press or Pushups
    Barbell or Cable Rows
    Hammer curls

( 2x12 with 1 set to failure)

(Main question >>) So will I be fine to do bench press and if not, swop it out for pushups? 

NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're just going for visuals I actually get way better upper trap development from Snatches or snatch grip deadlifts. And deltoid wise you can get that from bench press or DB raises.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Overhead pressing is way overrated from a shoulder health perspective. So much so it will take a miracle to undo the amount of bullchit that has been spewed on the internet about “the press”.

But that isn’t the point. You asked are you setting yourself for failure by not doing any OHP and the answer is no. Also, pushups, to a point are superior to any chest exercise until they become too easy. They are also trickier to load and challenging yourself through weird variations to continue to get a stimulus is a hell of a lot harder than simply putting more plates on a bar.

I would if I were you, have one day where you bench and another where you do pushups, 3 sets AMRAP is usually a good place to start.
    The only thing I would suggest to you adding some light upper back work, reverse pec deck, band pull aparts, rear delt rows, Cuban presses, etc. on top of your main pulling movements.

Some lateral raises, with a cable is great for delt hypertrophy and will have a more dramatic effect them mindlessly pressing overhead wondering why your shoulders aren’t getting bigger. Keep these light, in sets of 10-14 and progress the weight slowly.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 11-13-2020 at 05:43 PM.

Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbt1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Overhead pressing is way overrated from a shoulder health perspective. So much so it will take a miracle to undo the amount of bullchit that has been spewed on the internet about “the press”.

But that isn’t the point. You asked are you setting yourself for failure by not doing any OHP and the answer is no. Also, pushups, to a point are superior to any chest exercise until they become too easy. They are also trickier to load and challenging yourself through weird variations to continue to get a stimulus is a hell of a lot harder than simply putting more plates on a bar.

I would if I were you, have one day where you bench and another where you do pushups, 3 sets AMRAP is usually a good place to start.
    The only thing I would suggest to you adding some light upper back work, reverse pec deck, band pull aparts, rear delt rows, Cuban presses, etc. on top of your main pulling movements.

Some lateral raises, with a cable is great for delt hypertrophy and will have a more dramatic effect them mindlessly pressing overhead wondering why your shoulders aren’t getting bigger. Keep these light, in sets of 10-14 and progress the weight slowly.
    So doing this would be better?

Day 1
    Bench press
    Pulldown
    Side laterals raises

Day 2
    Bench press or pushups
    Rows
    Hammer curls

Also warmup with pullaparts etc

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Im a believer in working all angles.
    If you absolutely can't then you can't.
    If you can overhead press even with a 5 pound DB for reps right now that would be better than nothing.
    When you are weaker in certain angles and don't work it and stronger in others you create an imbalance that could lead to injury and an uneven balance in your physique.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Absolutely doesn't matter...

Most people get better size results from bench, pulls and delt raises (front/side/rear) anyway.

Ohp is great, due to the freedom of the scapula, but its not hard to get every plane covered with less taxing stuff that let's you focus on other things that dont hurt.

I haven't trained Ohp in months, and every time I fancy a rep my 1rm has gone up by not doing it 😂
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Slightly off topic from your Q, but did your doctor suggest any rest at all (that you stop presses/pushups and/or lifting in general while you wait to get the issue fixed)?

Or do you have the go-ahead as long as you're able to train through the pain?

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Here is what I would do if in your position:

Originally Posted by Mbt1990 View Post
    So doing this would be better?

Day 1
    Bench press
    Pulldown
    Side laterals raises

Day 2
    Pushups
    Rows
    Curls (your choice, but I recommend incline for long head inclusion)

Also warmup with pullaparts etc
    I’d use pull aparts ( arms extended, over head, “no money’s” etc) as a finisher for 10-30 reps total

Me and my wife do 10 no moneys, 10 underhand pull aparts and 10 overhead BTN neck pull aparts after every workout, in a random order. Only need a 3 or 5 lbs band.

Like MEP above, my OHP gets stronger by not training it. There is a reason OHP fell out of favor for bench and incline.

I’m also a huge believer in combining calisthenics, bands and weight training. So I include pushups, hip thrust, etc in all my programming as well.

ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I workout on the first floor so sir bedroom door don’t OHP but I do landmine presses with a barbell in the corner of the room.

Then I do a lot of band supersets. Band high pulls, band laterals, band rear delt standing raises. All for sets of 20

MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mbt1990 View Post
    I'm wanting to know if doing bench presses or pushups will suffice for my main pushing exercise.

I basically have floating bone spurs in my elbows and any overhead or tricep work sets me back weeks , so it's only horizontal pushing exercises that don't hurt, so until covid is over I can't get it fixed, but I'm worried that if I don't do any vertical work, I'll set myself up for worse injuries?

I've also tried elbow sleeves (from 1-4 ply) doesn't change it.

I'm worried about only doing bench press due to the strain, so would pushups be fine if I can't bench??

My upper body portion looks like this (lower body irrelevant In this)

Day 1
    Bench press or Pushups
    Pulldowns 
    E-Z curls

Day 2
    Bench press or Pushups
    Barbell or Cable Rows
    Hammer curls

( 2x12 with 1 set to failure)

(Main question >>) So will I be fine to do bench press and if not, swop it out for pushups? 
    You can't get it fixed till COVID is over? Man some states and areas within states are more restrictive than others. Where I am at I have had the freedom to see doctors and dentists for just about anything.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bench press + BORs/pendlays + lat raises should suffice to hit your shoulders if you are unable to press. You could also add in upright rows as a compound movement (DBs not BBs if you're already worried about joints) which hit your shoulders as well as traps
    Somehow still managing to avoid getting 'too big'

Non-CEO, 0.1235K per day