Dan042075 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulder fatigue-weak shoulders

I am getting back into lifting and know my shoulders are weak...well I am weak all over, but mostly my shoulders. I am easing into it and a few says ago I was doing side lying down external rotation and did 3 sets of 10 with a 2.5 kilo weight. My shoulders felt fatigued quite quickly and after had dull pain that was sore touch in my right rear deltoid. Do I just need to strengthen my shoulders. If, so how should I go about doing that?
    Last edited by Dan042075; 11-25-2020 at 09:31 AM.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What are you benching?

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    What are you benching?
    I have not started doing any lifting.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try this. Great prehab/rehab, I incorporate it on any heavy pushing day.

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Dan042075 View Post
    I am getting back into lifting
    I have not started doing any lifting.
    I would recommend starting lifting

Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000) Markype is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I am getting back into lifting and know my shoulders are weak...well I am weak all over, but mostly my shoulders. I am easing into it and a few says ago I was doing side lying down external rotation and did 3 sets of 10 with a 2.5 kilo weight. My shoulders felt fatigued quite quickly and after had dull pain that was sore touch in my right rear deltoid. Do I just need to strengthen my shoulders. If, so how should I go about doing that?
    This doesn't surprise me. When doing the external rotation you use the rotator cuff. Those are not capable of heavy lifts, its normal that your shoulders felt fatigued even with 2.5kg.
    Its a really good thing to strengthen them before going for lifting, they are importants to keep healthy shoulders.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Just start lifting. Don't attempt a weight that you can't manage good form with.

Don't worry about weak points if they haven't happened yet. RC is a small muscle - focus on the big ones and 9 times out of 10, the small ones are taken along in the process.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You may want to try overhead holds for time with a BD kettlebell.
    The get up is a great movement for shoulders and the whole body as your in many different positions when doing them.
    As with most lifting when starting do light weight for lots of reps.
    I your case to build up endurance then slowly build strength.
    Good luck.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Just start lifting. Don't attempt a weight that you can't manage good form with.

Don't worry about weak points if they haven't happened yet. RC is a small muscle - focus on the big ones and 9 times out of 10, the small ones are taken along in the process.
    This. I avoid any and all direct rotator cuff work. When used in a good program, they (as in all 4) are performing their one goal: keeping the upper arm in its socket. They are NOT prime movers and should never be trained as such. That, coupled with the fact that muscles NEVER truly work in isolation leads to it being a fluff exercise.

A heavy row
    A vertical pull
    A light upper back specific pull

^
    Is really all you need for a well balanced back, pick a few and rotate them out on a monthly basis.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Srs for what it's worth if that happened to me I'd just assume it's because a lot shoulder **** is complicated enough and that I probably wasn't doing it right.

Really doesn't sound like an exercise one should worry about when getting back into weight training unless prescribed for rehab of course.

I have hurt my shoulder every time I start lifting and sorta, kinda self diagnosed myself with a rotary cuff tear or tendinitis, so I was doing side lying down external rotations to help strengthen the muscles in both arms before starting to lift again. I am still having mild discomfort when I move my right shoulder around and press with my fingers into the rear and side shoulder about 1/2 inch deep. I took 400 mg of ibuprofen on Wednesday and Thursday along with icing and massage. It is enough pain that when pressed with enough pressure it can shoot into my elbow.

I am upset now, because I did what I thought was a light weight to lift and test the waters and now my shoulder is hurting. I did the Stew Smith routine yesterday and some stretches. I can tell my shoulders are slightly sore from that workout but the pain is separate from that and not a result of the routine.
    Last edited by Dan042075; 11-26-2020 at 11:26 PM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Shoulders are tricky beasts. Best not to self diagnose - seek a professional assessment.

My recipe for keeping shoulders healthy is to bench and OHP as usual (I don't touch the chest on bench and use more of a guillotine style bench). I then do pullups and rows to the chest (like a reverse competition bench) and lateral raises. I sometimes do overhead shrugs and L-flys but not at the moment.

The basic idea is to work all major heads of the shoulder fairly equally and isolate small muscles only when necessary.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you fear you have something going on in your shoulders DO NOT SELF-DIAGNOSE.

Get an MRI done and have it read by a competent PT or Ortho surgeon.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's a disconnect between OP and everyone else, I think. It's hard to understand the context, especially when he says he "started lifting" or "started doing any lifting". He could mean that he started lifting after a long layoff or he started a workout for that day.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    There's a disconnect between OP and everyone else, I think. It's hard to understand the context, especially when he says he "started lifting" or "started doing any lifting". He could mean that he started lifting after a long layoff or he started a workout for that day.
    I have not done any lifting recently (years) and am looking to get back into it after a long layoff.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Same difference I think. Probably worse.