Registered User userA4IPX3D8OPS's Avatar
    userA4IPX3D8OPS is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Beginners exercises for a 370 lb obese person

Looking for advise on what exercises I should do besides walking on a treadmill. I bought 3lb dumbbells and a resistance band. Any advice and support would be greatly appreciated.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    not sure if you can do anything useful with 3 pound dumbbells, but resistance bands are apparently good for some workouts

NicaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NicaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NicaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NicaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NicaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NicaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NicaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NicaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NicaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NicaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NicaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Shadow boxing with the dumbbells can be a good way to burn some calories. Doesn't matter if you have any clue what you're doing, just put on some happy music, dance around a little and throw some punches. It's more fun than a treadmill and, if you get into it, a better workout.

Use the resistance bands for strength building, they'll probably be more useful than the dumbbells for that. I don't know much about resistance band exercises, though.

Depending on what level you're at, integrate some push-ups, but focus on doing them right. If that means you're doing them off the wall, off a table, on your knees, whatever, just make sure the technique's right and you can do at least 4-5 in a row.

Squats and lunges are great for lower body strengthening, and I'd also make sure you put in some core exercises; assisted sit-ups and seated twists are good to start with.

I started this year really out of shape and JP Muller's "My System" helped me get back on track. It's definitely got some weird theories but the first few weeks of the program are easy to follow and stick with, and the exercises are all still in common use, tho with different names. It's free on Wikipedia, might give you some ideas.

My best advice is to keep it fun, though. Switch things up day-to-day or week to week, and don't think you have to work out for crazy amounts of time a day. 15 minutes a day of really pushing yourself to the limit is more sustainable and can be better for reaching your goals than 3 hours of exhausting yourself without hitting your limits. And remember, a lot of us are right there with you. Stick with it and you got this!