Registered User MephistophelesX's Avatar
    MephistophelesX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best Affordable Heavy Bag for Training?

I had combed through the forums for heavy bag recommendations, but all of the previous threads are several years old. I'm wanting to include heavy bag training into my workout so I can further develop my shoulders and toughen up my hands. Note that I am not a serious boxer nor do I intend to be. But practicing punching night come in handy one day.

1) What are some good options for heavy bags?
    2) What would be a good routine for a short workout involving one?
    3) Any guides on how/where to hang one?

Thanks!

POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) POTA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MephistophelesX View Post
    I had combed through the forums for heavy bag recommendations, but all of the previous threads are several years old. I'm wanting to include heavy bag training into my workout so I can further develop my shoulders and toughen up my hands. Note that I am not a serious boxer nor do I intend to be. But practicing punching night come in handy one day.

1) What are some good options for heavy bags?
    2) What would be a good routine for a short workout involving one?
    3) Any guides on how/where to hang one?

Thanks!
    Best thing to do would be to keep an eye on craigslist when it comes to heavy bags. You'll find an acceptable one for a steal in no time.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'll second the used market recommendation. Like most things, a good bag isn't cheap and a cheap bag isn't good. Title, Ringside, Outslayer, TKO all make decent bags. I have a 150-lb Title genuine leather bag w/ a gel layer. They ran about $450 brand new, but I picked it up for $100 on the used market.

For mounting, you can get a stand or you can mount it directly into an overhead joist. If you're mounting it in the basement and have an I-beam, you can mount it via stationary clamps or I-beam trolley. Harbor Freight has a pretty good trolley for about $40, which is how mine is mounted. This lets me roll it out of the way when it's not in use.

OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50) OldButGame will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Regarding mounting,..the I Beam idea is a good one, or else a freestanding mount or hanger. In my youth I hung it by basement ceiling joists,.....would rattle the whole house,...(my parents were saints...). As far as the bag goes,...they come in many different shapes and sizes,...search google images,...some are better for uppercuts, some for kicks, some for pure punching,....etc.etc.
    ....68 years,....and praying to god that muscle 'memory' is real !!!!!

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had one from Title Boxing along with their ibeam mounting kit a few years ago it was decent.

Registered User MephistophelesX's Avatar
    MephistophelesX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the reccomendations fellas! Also, I'm around 175 lbs....is there a recommended size or weight bag I should be using?

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Personally, unless you are looking to get serious with fighting/training I would go in the opposite direction with buying an expensive 150-200lb bag. I've taken some kickboxing courses and spent some time in a martial arts studio, worked on several top brand name bags and found the cheapo Everlast Poly-canvas bag (70lb) on Amazon to be more than efficient for cardio style kickboxing at home. Grab a 4ft long wall mount, floor anchor, and a heavy bag spring for mounting and you'll be set. At least that's what I'd do, then you can always swap out the bag later if you decide to get more serious.

https://www.amazon.com/Everlast-70-P...671473&sr=8-35
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MephistophelesX View Post
    Thanks for all the reccomendations fellas! Also, I'm around 175 lbs....is there a recommended size or weight bag I should be using?
    The standard recommendation is to get a bag that is at least 1/2 your body weight.

Recidivst will become famous soon enough. (+50) Recidivst will become famous soon enough. (+50) Recidivst will become famous soon enough. (+50) Recidivst will become famous soon enough. (+50) Recidivst will become famous soon enough. (+50) Recidivst will become famous soon enough. (+50) Recidivst will become famous soon enough. (+50) Recidivst will become famous soon enough. (+50) Recidivst will become famous soon enough. (+50) Recidivst will become famous soon enough. (+50) Recidivst will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not a traditional heavy bag but i like the water filled aqua bag training bags they are near indestructible and if you want the same but less expensive see taylor made tuff end bouys.