Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Turning 44 Garage Gym Training And Need Help

Hi,

Longtime member of BBcom, but first time posting here in the forums. Looking for some guidance with macros and training in my garage gym to achieve my goals.

Back in my 30's when I went to a gym regularly I managed my weight and fitness pretty well. Even did Keto back in 2015 and got in the best shape of my life, having lost 60 lbs. But found that once I hit 40, something really changed, and the things that worked for me before just didn't appeal to me or work anymore. Also, with my career advancing and trying to be there for my family, I didn't want to be at the gym all the time.

I wanted to train with more purpose and intentionality. So, I started investing in building a garage gym, but with a garage gym setup, it required a different approach to training. Have tried StrongLifts and even the old Body for Life program. Then, with the distractions of home and work mere feet away, the past several years the only gains I have made have been fat.

Just watched Alan Thrall's video about trying to train at home right now, and he perfectly nailed the struggle!

I actually have built a great setup in my garage:
    Rogue R3 Rack
    Rogue B&R Barbell
    350# plates
    Powerblocks
    Exercise Bands
    Medicine Ball
    Kettlebells
    LifeFitness Elliptical
    Treadmill
    Stationary Bike

I am committed to getting the right mindset, discipline and practices to transform my heath and body.

Current Body Stats
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 265 lbs
    Body fat: 30% plus

Just uploaded a recent front and back photo to my BodySpace profile.

Advice and direction is appreciated about how to get the most out of training in a home/garage gym and nutrition at this stage of life.

Thanks,

Andy
    Last edited by Andy2.0; 11-21-2020 at 06:34 PM.

thrion will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrion will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrion will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrion will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrion will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrion will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrion will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrion will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrion will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrion will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrion will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This sounds remarkably like me. I just turned 45 in October, an 5'11" and weigh (today) 250 - I have toyed with gyms off and on for years, but could never really commit to it. While working from home, I realized I took on more if I didn't have to go somewhere and slowly built up a similar garage set up. I've been following the Built With Science program and am already down more than 20# in 2 months and an see a huge difference in my clothes.

Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Andy2.0 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by thrion View Post
    This sounds remarkably like me. I just turned 45 in October, an 5'11" and weigh (today) 250 - I have toyed with gyms off and on for years, but could never really commit to it. While working from home, I realized I took on more if I didn't have to go somewhere and slowly built up a similar garage set up. I've been following the Built With Science program and am already down more than 20# in 2 months and an see a huge difference in my clothes.
    Thanks. Yeah, it was weird. I was die hard in the gym, doing great. Hurting my low back probably contributed to it, but there came a point when I would go back into the gym and be overcome with a rage. Not a healthy feeling, and not something I wanted to "channel" into my workout, because the kinds of feelings I was having scared me.

Now, I'm just trying to get things turned around, and move forward.