Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Eating way too much protein

I weigh 158lbs, from what I’ve read I should be eating 0.7 to 1.3g of protein per lb of body weight..the app I use says I should be eating 125g per day.. I ate 250+ grams of protein today... Breakfast had a yogurt, lunch had a lb of chicken breast and dinner I had a lb of salmon. Should I just start cutting my portions in half, maybe a 1/2 lb of chicken breast and a 1/2 lb of salmon for dinner and lunch? (I’m about 40g under on carbohydrates & 30g under on fat)

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Last2WalK View Post
    I weigh 158lbs, from what I’ve read I should be eating 0.7 to 1.3g of protein per lb of body weight..the app I use says I should be eating 125g per day.. I ate 250+ grams of protein today... Breakfast had a yogurt, lunch had a lb of chicken breast and dinner I had a lb of salmon. Should I just start cutting my portions in half, maybe a 1/2 lb of chicken breast and a 1/2 lb of salmon for dinner and lunch? (I’m about 40g under on carbohydrates & 30g under on fat)

250+ is far, far more than you need.

You would be fine with 125-160g
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Why would you want to eat a pound of chicken breast? That sounds like torture to me, unless it's deep fried and/or with some kind of delicious sauce and lots of rice or noodles.

While I LOVE salmon, I don't get eating a pound of it either. I've had a 260g skin-on fillet, cooked medium-rare with crispy skin, teriyaki and rice - that was delicious, but more than enough salmon.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    Why would you want to eat a pound of chicken breast? That sounds like torture to me, unless it's deep fried and/or with some kind of delicious sauce and lots of rice or noodles.

While I LOVE salmon, I don't get eating a pound of it either. I've had a 260g skin-on fillet, cooked medium-rare with crispy skin, teriyaki and rice - that was delicious, but more than enough salmon.
    Yeah for me anything more than about 6oz cooked weight Salmon and I'm done for sure.... and i'm also crazy for salmon.

Now, salmon in sushi... all day long. haha
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10) Last2WalK is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I like grilled salmon and grilled chicken breast. I usually have rice, grilled pineapple and broccoli with salmon and chicken. Plus it’s lower calories so I can eat more of it and still be within the calorie range I need. I guess I just need to cut my portions in half to hit my targets.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Read the stickies please. There's no carb target.

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    Yeah for me anything more than about 6oz cooked weight Salmon and I'm done for sure.... and i'm also crazy for salmon.

Oh yes, I'm with you on that!

emilbobbycooper will become famous soon enough. (+50) emilbobbycooper will become famous soon enough. (+50) emilbobbycooper will become famous soon enough. (+50) emilbobbycooper will become famous soon enough. (+50) emilbobbycooper will become famous soon enough. (+50) emilbobbycooper will become famous soon enough. (+50) emilbobbycooper will become famous soon enough. (+50) emilbobbycooper will become famous soon enough. (+50) emilbobbycooper will become famous soon enough. (+50) emilbobbycooper will become famous soon enough. (+50) emilbobbycooper will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just eat it with caution. Excess protein consumed is usually stored as fat, while the surplus of amino acids is excreted. This can lead to weight gain over time, especially if you consume too many calories while trying to increase your protein intake.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by emilbobbycooper View Post
    Excess protein consumed is usually stored as fat
    Nope. Recommended reading: https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat

brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you like eating meat I wouldn't cut intake in half. Why not go to 200g protein per day for a while. See how you go with that.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is it working for you and giving you the results you want without causing you any issues and is easy to stick with? If so, keep doing what you're doing.

zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post
    Is it working for you and giving you the results you want without causing you any issues and is easy to stick with? If so, keep doing what you're doing.
    Amen to this

If you enjoy it, can afford it, have no issues with it and your able to achieve your goals, by all means continue

Personally am a massive fan of higher protein as well

Originally Posted by zatanoa View Post
    Amen to this

If you enjoy it, can afford it, have no issues with it and your able to achieve your goals, by all means continue

Personally am a massive fan of higher protein as well
    Given your bone health concerns... you might want to avoid very high protein diets unless you're also getting a lot of calcium... they can cause issues

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Oh yes, I'm with you on that!
    These! I love salmon but I can eat roll after roll of salmon sushi. It's one of the few foods I can eat seemingly endless amounts of.
    Given your bone health concerns... you might want to avoid very high protein diets unless you're also getting a lot of calcium... they can cause issues
    Actually, the latest research suggests that a high protein intake has no negative effect on BMD. It may actually confer a slight positive benefit. Here's a good review of the literature: https://journals.lww.com/nutritionto...ng_bone.5.aspx

Originally Posted by Strawng View Post
    These! I love salmon but I can eat roll after roll of salmon sushi. It's one of the few foods I can eat seemingly endless amounts of.

Actually, the latest research suggests that a high protein intake has no negative effect on BMD. It may actually confer a slight positive benefit. Here's a good review of the literature: https://journals.lww.com/nutritionto...ng_bone.5.aspx
    Interesting. I’ve read/heard things all over the place... it’s probably a negligible effect if any I suppose

zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zatanoa has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm good

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What is your goal?
    Eating more than you need of anything in general usually leads to weight gain.
    That weight gain in not necessarily muscle in fact muscle would be the harder thing to gain.
    Making lean protein your main macro isn't a bad thing but there is a point to what the body will use and not use.
    It uses what it needs to repair and recover.
    What that is is hard to say from person to person.
    0.7 to 1.0 pound per pound of BW is a safe range IMO.
    I would keep track of your goal and see if you are achieving it or them.
    If it's bodybuilding take pics month to month to see what your looking like and if your making gains.
    Pics won't lie,do the same poses under same lighting.
    Then if you want to make a macro "protien"adjustment you can and should if need be.
    Good luck.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You must go through hot sauce and powders like crazy..
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Nanashi is just really nice. (+1000) Nanashi is just really nice. (+1000) Nanashi is just really nice. (+1000) Nanashi is just really nice. (+1000) Nanashi is just really nice. (+1000) Nanashi is just really nice. (+1000) Nanashi is just really nice. (+1000) Nanashi is just really nice. (+1000) Nanashi is just really nice. (+1000) Nanashi is just really nice. (+1000) Nanashi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Eric Helms (probably the most credible source catering to bodybuilders as far as science goes) basically says most studies suggest a minimum of .7grams per lean body mass, but you can probably go as high as 2 grams of protein per lean body weight.

As someone who has probably tried everything and done a lot of things wrong, I've come to the conclusion that really the only thing you should focus on is hitting your calorie target, getting at least the minimum amount of protein, eat real quality foods, and train smart. If you do all of that, the other stuff probably falls into place. If you don't do that, don't worry about anything else until you do. Hitting calorie target seems to be where most people f*** up the most on.

Most diets that people push tend to be following these principles.

Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Eric Helms (probably the most credible source catering to bodybuilders as far as science goes) basically says most studies suggest a minimum of .7grams per lean body mass.
    The 0.7 number is for total body weight, not lean mass. Source: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28698222/

Here's what Eric recommends: "I think ~0.8-1g/lb (~1.8-2.2g/kg) is probably the highest intake you’ll benefit from in terms of enhancing strength or mass gains when you’re not in a deficit."
    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/re...dying-protein/

Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Strawng has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    The 0.7 number is for total body weight, not lean mass. Source: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28698222/

Here's what Eric recommends: "I think ~0.8-1g/lb (~1.8-2.2g/kg) is probably the highest intake you’ll benefit from in terms of enhancing strength or mass gains when you’re not in a deficit."
    https://www.strongerbyscience.com/re...dying-protein/
    Is it still recommended to go higher in a deficit, or has that been overturned? IIRC Eric used to say higher intakes around 1.5 g per lb “could” be beneficial in a deficit.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So ya I wouldn’t eat that much protein.

Why?

1. Stresses the kidneys with a build up of too much uric acid. (Animal based proteins) Then hyperuricemia will occur.

“ Hyperuricemia can cause crystals of uric acid (or urate) to form. These crystals can settle in the joints and cause gout, a form of arthritis that can be very painful. They can also settle in the kidneys and form kidney stones”

generally for this to happen you’d need a lack of fiber and other factors like drinking /other health condition like diabetes. But my ex got gout from just pizza, pop tart and steak diet with 300 grams of protein a day at 190ish lbs

So like if you want to go full ham on protein try low fat dairies and eggs not tons of animal proteins
    Last edited by snailsrus; 12-02-2020 at 10:50 PM.
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew