Thread: Where Am I?

sprater94 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Where Am I?

Hello everyone,

My name is Scott P. I am 26 years old, and I have always had a fitness goal I've never successfully reached. I am going to share a brief story of my mistakes, successes, and current obstacles. I am hoping that I can further step towards my success by reaching out to everyone on here.

Current Weight is at 164lbs.

Mistake: crash dieting/unhealthy bulking - I bulked to 190lbs from 160lbs in ~6 months on the GOMAD diet, and then went into Keto and practically lost everything I gained... a year wasted
    Success: I have been able to get from 145-155/160lbs and maintain a DECENT body shape.. nowhere close to my goal yet though!
    Obstacle: I struggle with low and high testosterone.. they are unsure why and we are still going through labs, but one day I tested at 650 and the next day it was 270. Right now I'm off anything that could potentially cause my test to fluctuate.
    Obstacle: I have recently gone through an ACL/Meniscus surgery (my 2nd one).. so not able to really workout legs on a major scale.

Please see the pictures below to show you where I am at currently in my progress, and where my goal is. I don't particularly want to be "shredded", or "athletic". I want to have a decent amount of mass (goal weight is 190lbs) and 10-12% bf.. (abdominals not significantly covered by fat, as shown in the picture)

Current program:
    Monday - Chest/Tris/Abs/Calves/20Min LISS Cardio
    Tuesday - Back/Bis/Abs/20Min LISS Cardio
    Wednesday - Legs/Shoulders/Abs/Calves/20Min LISS Cardio
    Thursday - Chest/Tris/Abs/20Min LISS Cardio
    Friday - Back/Bis/Abs/Calves/20Min LISS Cardio
    Saturday - Legs/Shoulders/Abs/20Min LISS Cardio
    Sunday - Off

Example Routine:
    Flat Bench - 15x45(bar), 10x95, 5x135 (warmup)
    Flat Bench - 4 sets of 5 reps of 165lbs, 1 set of 7 reps (failure) of 165lbs
    Dips - 15x45, 15x45, then 3 sets of 15 reps bodyweight
    (SuperSet1)Close Grip EZ-Bar Tricep Extensions Standing 12x30, 4x8x30
    (SuperSet1)Incline DB Bench Press 12x50,4x8x50
    (SuperSet2)OverHead Seated DB Tricep Extension 2x12x35, 10x35, 9x35
    (SuperSet2)Flat DB Fly 12x35, 10x35, 2x8x35
    (SuperSet3)Cable Tricep Extension 6x50, 8x42.5, 15x35, 10x25
    (SuperSet3)Cable Fly 5x12x35
    DB Pullovers 4x15x35
    Calves 5 sets, 15 reps of both seated and standing calf raises (alternating from light/heavy weight)
    Abs 100 reps (increase +10 weekly) 50% crunches, 50% leg raises
    20 Minutes LISS Cardio on Treadmill @ 6mph; Will alternate cardio equipment, such as Stair Climber on Leg Days

Example Diet:
    Meal 1 - Breakfast/PreWorkout - Protein Muffins (153 calories, 27g carbs, 6g protein, 2g fat) & Protein Shake (350 calories, 62g carbs, 24g protein, 1g fat)
    Meal 2- Post Workout - Protein Shake (190 calories, 22g carbs, 24g protein, 1g fat)
    Meal 3 - Chicken/Rice (626 calories, 56g carbs, 37g protein, 14g fat)
    Meal 4 - Shake w/ Protein, Pnut Btr, Oatmeal, Coconut Oil, Almonds (740 calories, 64g carbs, 36g fat, 47g protein)
    Meal 5 - Shake w/ Protein, Pnut Btr, Oatmeal, Coconut Oil, Almonds (740 calories, 64g carbs, 36g fat, 47g protein)
    Meal 6 - Shake w/ Protein, Pnut Btr, Oatmeal, Coconut Oil, Almonds (740 calories, 64g carbs, 36g fat, 47g protein)
    Total Intake: 3,539 calories, 359g carbs, 232g protein, 126g fat)
    **Note1: On days that I do not work, the Chicken/Rice meal increases to 2-3 times a day, and the shakes only 1-2 times**
    **Note2: On Sundays, Post workout and AM Protein shake is not taken**

I think my struggle or question to everyone is - should I gain weight.. or should I lose weight and start from a lean build and work my way up?

TIA!
    Attached Images

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your *diet* is horrendous, where's the fruits, vegetables, variety of meats, fish, etc? Why are you getting so many calories from shakes?

How tall are you?

And your "goal" physique is definitely not possible as a natty. Just trying to set some realistic expectations.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    3500+ calories to work with and THIS is what you eat??
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You're gonna get fat fast at that many calories. That's almost 1000 over my maint. and I'm 188.

Second, your goal pic is about 150lbs. more than you weigh.

You have a pretty good physique starting out so keep training and get on a realistic diet. 5 protein shakes a day is not it.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ezra76 View Post
    You're gonna get fat fast at that many calories. That's almost 1000 over my maint. and I'm 188.

Second, your goal pic is about 150lbs. more than you weigh.

You have a pretty good physique starting out so keep training and get on a realistic diet. 5 protein shakes a day is not it.
    If your maintenance is 2600 calories weighing 188, you must be pretty inactive.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

sprater94 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for your responses so far! To answer a few questions...

I'm 5'6 @ 164lbs

What is your recommended caloric intake? Am I at the physique where I should cut and clean bulk, or clean bulk from where I am at?

I am hoping to start a new job in the upcoming weeks, so that will hopefully allow less shakes and more whole foods. I will alternate chicken, beef, and turkey every week to get different protein sources.. just easier to prep for a week with a consistent type of food. I'm not really a fish/seafood guy.

I havent really incorporated many vegetables and fruits.. fruits have a lot of sugar, so I thought I'd try to avoid them mostly and try to incorporate more vegetables.

How does my training routine look? Is it too much? I feel like I have good progress, and I am only really concerned about strength. It's like I am gaining good size, but not sizeable strength. I've always heard that strength = size, but I try not to ego lift. So I am not certain if a 5x5 program is more beneficial than sticking between 6-12 reps progression through 4 sets.

Honestly, what have you all found that works for you? I may not be able to be "natty" at my goal, but that body type is the picture I would like to paint for myself. I want to have a large stature, dense muscles, while maintaining a decent bodyfat percent (10-12%) and keeping some visibility in my midsection.

Thank you again!

Originally Posted by sprater94 View Post
    Thanks for your responses so far! To answer a few questions...

I'm 5'6 @ 164lbs

What is your recommended caloric intake? Am I at the physique where I should cut and clean bulk, or clean bulk from where I am at?

I am hoping to start a new job in the upcoming weeks, so that will hopefully allow less shakes and more whole foods. I will alternate chicken, beef, and turkey every week to get different protein sources.. just easier to prep for a week with a consistent type of food. I'm not really a fish/seafood guy.

I havent really incorporated many vegetables and fruits.. fruits have a lot of sugar, so I thought I'd try to avoid them mostly and try to incorporate more vegetables.

How does my training routine look? Is it too much? I feel like I have good progress, and I am only really concerned about strength. It's like I am gaining good size, but not sizeable strength. I've always heard that strength = size, but I try not to ego lift. So I am not certain if a 5x5 program is more beneficial than sticking between 6-12 reps progression through 4 sets.

Honestly, what have you all found that works for you? I may not be able to be "natty" at my goal, but that body type is the picture I would like to paint for myself. I want to have a large stature, dense muscles, while maintaining a decent bodyfat percent (10-12%) and keeping some visibility in my midsection.

Thank you again!
    1. We cannot know your recommended intake. You need to eat at a certain level for a period of time and measure average weight changes in the morning. Use an online TDEE calculator to get a starting point as an estimate, try it for a few weeks, and adjust.

2. STOP FEARING FRUIT SUGAR. There is ZERO chance you're going to ever eat enough fruit to overdo sugar. Hell, I eat like 2-3 large servings of fruit a day... fruit is great for you, so eat it, every day if you can if not more (aim for 1-2+ servings if you can).

3. You aren't a good candidate for a true 'bulk'. I think, if anything, you could recomp right now and lose some bodyfat while you gain muscle... OR, do a small slow cut, then work back up from there.