ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000)

programming running and lifting

Im kinda at a loss here. Part of the reason is that I have ADD and can't stick to any program I decide on but I also don't know which program I should stick with.

Totally novice lifter. Started lifting 5-6 years ago but was training for 100k and the time of getting to a gym while training for the 100k and working and family was too much so the lifting was cut. Now that Covid hit I built a basement gym and can train whenever. My daughter had a brain tumor right after the 100 and my fitness went to **** (my own fault) so Im starting from close to zero on both. Lifting progress seems like it is taking forever, Im still adding 5lbs per lift and havent failed, but my admitted lack of focus is slowing things down. I also had a degenerative disc issue that took a good while to build the confidence that I wasnt going to hurt myself. lol and on top of that I had an ablation for AFib and I finally feel like that is under control. I don't know what to do with this 50yo body and/or what is reasonable to expect.

Goals are to be able to run a 50k without training and workout sets to be somewhere between novice and intermediate https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards

Anyway, back to the question... whats my best choice for those of you that like to run-

a) **** running, lift until you are strong and then introduce running
    b) lift lower body heavy one day a week and run the rest of the week
    c) alternate weeks of running and lower body
    d) shut the **** up and make up your own mind

sorry for the diary entry

eta- reading the link above's time requirements, Im actually on track to be where i want to be.

"What do the strength standards mean?
    Beginner Stronger than 5% of lifters. A beginner lifter can perform the movement correctly and has practiced it for at least a month.
    Novice Stronger than 20% of lifters. A novice lifter has trained regularly in the technique for at least six months.
    Intermediate Stronger than 50% of lifters. An intermediate lifter has trained regularly in the technique for at least two years.
    Advanced Stronger than 80% of lifters. An advanced lifter has progressed for over five years.
    Elite Stronger than 95% of lifters. An elite lifter has dedicated over five years to become competitive at strength sports."
    Last edited by ENCBBQ; 11-17-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ENCBBQ View Post
    Goals are to be able to run a 50k without training and workout sets to be somewhere between novice and intermediate https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards
    By 50k, you mean 50,000m (and ~31 miles)!?!? If so, then I see this as SIGNIFICANTLY opposing goals and I don't think that you can simultaneously accomplish both (unless just barely surpassing novice goals is satisfactory) goals as you've defined them. But unless you're going to compete in either running or lifting (and by compete, I mean with the desire to really excel and, in the case of running, not just simply finish which is an admirable goal in itself!), I'd split my lifting and running up based on how much I enjoy each activity (and 50/50 is fine).
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why not just shoot for being in great shape or being all around more athletic?

If you are not competing in either of these endeavors they are all just numbers anyway.

Running a 50K to me seems like an extreme. Becoming somewhere between an intermediate and advanced lifter is not an extreme, but again, they are just numbers and hitting these numbers might cause some mobility and flexibility issues that would make running a 50K at will an issue.

Me personally I found that it is a great idea to incorporate cardio a couple times a week while following a decent structured lifting program. Doing this I have been able to chip away and get a little leaner and a little more muscle from year to year.

Find your why and aim at that.

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ENCBBQ View Post
    Im kinda at a loss here. Part of the reason is that I have ADD and can't stick to any program I decide on but I also don't know which program I should stick with.

Totally novice lifter. Started lifting 5-6 years ago but was training for 100k and the time of getting to a gym while training for the 100k and working and family was too much so the lifting was cut. Now that Covid hit I built a basement gym and can train whenever. My daughter had a brain tumor right after the 100 and my fitness went to **** (my own fault) so Im starting from close to zero on both. Lifting progress seems like it is taking forever, Im still adding 5lbs per lift and havent failed, but my admitted lack of focus is slowing things down. I also had a degenerative disc issue that took a good while to build the confidence that I wasnt going to hurt myself. lol and on top of that I had an ablation for AFib and I finally feel like that is under control. I don't know what to do with this 50yo body and/or what is reasonable to expect.

Anyway, back to the question... whats my best choice for those of you that like to run-

a) **** running, lift until you are strong and then introduce running
    b) lift lower body heavy one day a week and run the rest of the week
    c) alternate weeks of running and lower body
    d) shut the **** up and make up your own mind

sorry for the diary entry

eta- reading the link above's time requirements, Im actually on track to be where i want to be.

"What do the strength standards mean?
    Beginner Stronger than 5% of lifters. A beginner lifter can perform the movement correctly and has practiced it for at least a month.
    Novice Stronger than 20% of lifters. A novice lifter has trained regularly in the technique for at least six months.
    Intermediate Stronger than 50% of lifters. An intermediate lifter has trained regularly in the technique for at least two years.
    Advanced Stronger than 80% of lifters. An advanced lifter has progressed for over five years.
    Elite Stronger than 95% of lifters. An elite lifter has dedicated over five years to become competitive at strength sports."

I say option b). That's what I did in 2010 when I was training for my marathon. Journal here if interested: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...=bustasinclair

It's a long read and kinda boring, but it is informative. For comparison purposes, I was 184# when I ran that marathon compared to 230# now and I'm not fat.

Being able to run 31 miles on any given day is a bit of a running specialty....kind of like being able to deadlift 700#, so I'm not sure if your goals are in alignment. Good luck with it though!

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pick up the book "Tactical Barbell II: Conditioning." Probably the most influential book on how I train now. It's an effective and intelligent approach to combining strength training with endurance work depending on your goals. It's not a program for a 600# deadlift, but it's a program where you can pull 500 and still be able to run a half marathon or more.

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Being a big time runner years ago, half marathons, marathons and I did run a 50K once. I will say not training for a 50k properly will give you a miserable experience. I'm not saying you won't be able to finish but it will be brutal. For the 50k I would focus more on the running than lifting, not saying you can do both but powerlifting and training for a 50k might not be a good match. Once you finished the 50K, increase your lifting program.

I run 3 or 4 days a week but I'm not a long distance runner anymore. I simply take a run on the days I don't lift, pretty simple, but I only run 3 miles.

Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    d.

Whatever works with your schedule.

I think it'd be hard to do lower body heavy more than once a week and still get in the miles.

I've done a few 50k races and a 50 miler in addition to a bunch of marathons. Lower body lifting does fall off when I'm running a whole lot, but there are folks who say their lifting doesn't fall off.

I'm in a ******** group Lift Heavy Run Long of folks who lift (a lot of cross-fitters) and run ultras. It's a thing to deadlift 400 lbs and run a 50 miler (or 100). They even have t-shirts. I've done that combo but I have no interest in the t-shirt or putting myself on their website.

https://www.liftheavyrunlong.com/

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ENCBBQ,

Do a full body weightlifting workout M/W/F and run intervals on Tuesday, anaerobic threshold on Thursday, short repeats on Saturday and a long run on Sunday. I did it like that for many years. Now, I just run for the joy of running.

ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000)
    thanks for the replies- looking at your links and journals.

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I currently run around 30 miles a week, usually split in 3 sometimes 4 runs with one run being half marathon distance. I also lift 3 times a week, two upper workouts and 1 leg work out.

I don't schedule a full rest day as my life schedule isn't fixed, I just listen to my body and take a day off when I need it.

In the end listen to your body.
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

thanks again, wanted to take a few days to think.

So by "running a 50k at will", IMO once you have a good solid base of 20 mile long runs you can run a 50k at will. After my daughter's surgery, I hadn't done any training and barely any running and had 50k perviously scheduled 3 months after her surgery. I decided to try it and it was fine...slow but fine. I want to be in that kind of shape again. Once you build a base, it is easy to keep. Getting the base is the hard part. Obviously to do well I would adjust to fine tune for a race. I am assuming that lifting is the same; once I get to an acceptable base it would be easy to keep.

I think the smartest thing is to ignore running for the moment and build my lifting base, introduce running after I am where I want to be lifting. Im really not that far off. Im only stressed about running now because i don't want to build my base in 95 degree heat...that ish is hard with afib.

Thanks again for the input and will revisit for programming in a few months

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When you focus on two different disciplines neither one gets full attention it needs and one takes away from the other depending on how you program it.
    Running can be fine as a form of cardio along with lifting but having a running goal along with a lifting strength goal can interfere with each other.
    I agree get your base strength up first then introduce running slowly.
    You should be able to maintain most strength when you do but adding to it could be more challenging when running as recovery is now divided between lifting and running.
    People have done it though.
    If you search there is a competitive powerlifter that also ran marathons at basically the same time and made it work for him.
    I can't remember his name but if you do a good search i believe you can find him.
    Good luck.

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wish I had the time for that - when you’re training as hard as you’re going to be, you can eat like a horse and still be skinny as a supermodel.

I think you’ve got some good advice above, but I’d just add that I’ve heard good things about the Tactical Barbell book recommended above as well.
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113