Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Wink Weigh Chicken Raw?

Hi,

So I am cooking chicken and weighed it in raw at 570grams which is like 20oz.

I wanted to see how much it weighed after cooking it and the scale jumped to 370grams. :-|

I've read your suppose to weigh it raw because the water evaporates but it still hurts to see it weigh so much less.

Do you weigh before or after? I would think you'd weigh it after because water has no calories.
    Last edited by xXGreenXx90; 11-14-2020 at 03:53 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Some packaging has numbers for both raw and cooked weight as these are obviously different. The raw one has to make an assumption about how much water will come out - so is probably less accurate.

HelixFuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) HelixFuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) HelixFuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) HelixFuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) HelixFuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) HelixFuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) HelixFuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) HelixFuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) HelixFuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) HelixFuse will become famous soon enough. (+50) HelixFuse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry to jump in on this question as well.

For example, if I get a Chicken Breast that is frozen (Cook from Frozen) from the Freezer Section. Would you guys track the weight of it frozen, or cooked?

Same with Frozen Fish.

Cheers

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by HelixFuse View Post

For example, if I get a Chicken Breast that is frozen (Cook from Frozen) from the Freezer Section. Would you guys track the weight of it frozen, or cooked?

Same with Frozen Fish.

Cheers
    Frozen.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by xXGreenXx90 View Post
    Hi,

So I am cooking chicken and weighed it in raw at 570grams which is like 20oz.

I wanted to see how much it weighed after cooking it and the scale jumped to 370grams. :-|

I've read your suppose to weigh it raw because the water evaporates but it still hurts to see it weigh so much less.

Do you weigh before or after? I would think you'd weigh it after because water has no calories.
    Use raw weight.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Some packaging has numbers for both raw and cooked weight as these are obviously different. The raw one has to make an assumption about how much water will come out - so is probably less accurate.
    I think it's the other way around. The cooked one has to make an assumption about how much water has come out.

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by HelixFuse View Post

Same with Frozen Fish.

Cheers
    I'm pretty sure the difference between frozen chicken breast and the thawed chicken breast is negligible, and I assume it extends to other types of meat too. I weigh my chicken frozen raw in the morning, and then to double check I weigh them again in the evening before I cook, and I've never seen a difference.
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50) NomadNA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah I discovered recently I've been doing this wrong. Weighing the raw meat sounds annoying though when I'm grillling and cubing 6 breast for meal preps. I might just titrate down knowing that my cooked estimates are under-estimates.

meloncap78 is a name known to all. (+5000) meloncap78 is a name known to all. (+5000) meloncap78 is a name known to all. (+5000) meloncap78 is a name known to all. (+5000) meloncap78 is a name known to all. (+5000) meloncap78 is a name known to all. (+5000) meloncap78 is a name known to all. (+5000) meloncap78 is a name known to all. (+5000) meloncap78 is a name known to all. (+5000) meloncap78 is a name known to all. (+5000) meloncap78 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I always weight my chicken thighs cooked. Fats and water are lost While cooking.
    Keep going....

Big 3
    Bench - 265
    Squat - 300
    Dead - 455 Raw https://youtu.be/nzbaU8_XGtA

1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mental gymnastics. Weigh raw and call it a day.
    Curing Disease.

Strong mind+Strong body = UNSTOPPABLE.

xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXGreenXx90 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NomadNA View Post
    Yeah I discovered recently I've been doing this wrong. Weighing the raw meat sounds annoying though when I'm grillling and cubing 6 breast for meal preps. I might just titrate down knowing that my cooked estimates are under-estimates.

My goal overtime is to get good at estimating and shying away from obsessive measuring :-) I think it's important to do until you get a sense for things tho.

ALSO make sure when you google "Calories in chicken 4oz chicken" that the nutrition facts online are for raw meat and not cooked!

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Use raw weight.

I think it's the other way around. The cooked one has to make an assumption about how much water has come out.

Cool thanks Mrpb.

I read somewhere that the label's nutrition facts account for it being cooked :L Don't know if that is true but raw def the way to go.

Originally Posted by xuerebx View Post
    I'm pretty sure the difference between frozen chicken breast and the thawed chicken breast is negligible, and I assume it extends to other types of meat too. I weigh my chicken frozen raw in the morning, and then to double check I weigh them again in the evening before I cook, and I've never seen a difference.

Mathematical :-0!

ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Agreed the weight different kinda bummer. But for me, i weight it after cook to get the most accurate nutritional value.

Eg: cooked grilled chicken breast, for 100gm would give about 32gm protein and 160 calories.

If weighted the raw chicken breast 100gm, after cooked it become about 70gm. It will not have 32gm protein and 160 calories.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by meloncap78 View Post
    I always weight my chicken thighs cooked. Fats and water are lost While cooking.
    you should always weigh it raw, chicken if skinless, you’ll maybe cook out 1 gram of fat if even. Which is probably replaced by the Pam cooking spray you use

You will lose roughly 25% of the weight from the water cooked out. So your raw 8oz of chicken will be 6 oz when done if you weigh out 8oz of chicken cooked it would be 10oz raw roughly 60 extra calories. Not a huge deal.
    Last edited by snailsrus; 11-15-2020 at 12:41 AM.
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Originally Posted by ZeekTrytoBuff View Post
    Agreed the weight different kinda bummer. But for me, i weight it after cook to get the most accurate nutritional value.
    It's the most accurate to weigh it raw. If you used cook values you need to know exactly how dry or moist you're cooking it and you'd need different values depending on how dry you cooked it.

Raw chicken breast is 110 kcal for 100 gram. It doesn't matter how much water is lost during cooking.

Cool thanks Mrpb.

I read somewhere that the label's nutrition facts account for it being cooked :L Don't know if that is true but raw def the way to go.
    Raw value is 110 kcal for 100 gram

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...products/701/2

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz

A lot of meat gets water injected, I would have thought that this makes the the raw weight more variable. If it hasn't been injected then you may well be right.

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    you should always weigh it raw, chicken if skinless, you’ll maybe cook out 1 gram of fat if even. Which is probably replaced by the Pam cooking spray you use

You will lose roughly 25% of the weight from the water cooked out. So your raw 8oz of chicken will be 6 oz when done if you weigh out 8oz of chicken cooked it would be 10oz raw roughly 60 extra calories. Not a huge deal.
    If possible weigh the chicken before it is slaughtered too.

fr tho, good advice

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If possible weigh the chicken before it is slaughtered too.

fr tho, good advice
    I can actually do that m8 lol
    https://i.imgur.com/u6QbJbB.jpg my husband has too many god damn birds
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    A lot of meat gets water injected, I would have thought that this makes the the raw weight more variable. If it hasn't been injected then you may well be right.
    Under Dutch law it's illegal to inject chicken breast with water before sales. I expect it's the same in EU. I'm not sure about other countries.

Frozen.

I apologize for asking the same question twice but I took pictures of 360g chicken weighed raw and the internet is saying it's 80g of protein.

but after cooking it, the portion looks way too small to be 80g of protein?!? WTF.

https://imgur.com/a/3k2i0Px

If this really is 80g protein, I don't know why I ever complained about hitting protein macros.

(I forgot to mention it weighs 220g after being cooked.)

Under Dutch law it's illegal to inject chicken breast with water before sales. I expect it's the same in EU. I'm not sure about other countries.
    Not in the UK unfortunately. Even before Brexit.

ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) ZeekTrytoBuff will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's the most accurate to weigh it raw. If you used cook values you need to know exactly how dry or moist you're cooking it and you'd need different values depending on how dry you cooked it.

Raw chicken breast is 110 kcal for 100 gram. It doesn't matter how much water is lost during cooking.
    Ah.. It seem i got the other way around. Thanks for correcting me.

Originally Posted by ZeekTrytoBuff View Post
    Ah.. It seem i got the other way around. Thanks for correcting me.
    That's something I don't see often on this forum. YW.

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    i can actually do that m8 lol
    https://i.imgur.com/u6qbjbb.jpg my husband has too many god damn birds
    LMFAO, haha

hely26 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I weigh everything raw. So it is much easier for me to count calories because on the package they are listed for example per 100 grams of raw product.
    And this applies to everything: meat, fish, I weigh raw, I weigh cereals dry. Only vegetables and fruits, I first get rid of the skin, seeds, etc., and only then weigh.
    I think that's right. It seems to me that if you weigh food in cooked form, then you can make a mistake with calories and eat not as you planned.

fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fattofame3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Cooked, I noticed as someone else has mentioned here that they inject chicken with water to increase its weight and price. I weighed my chicken cooked and uncooked and it lost 30-50% in water weight, averaging around 40%.

Svings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Svings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Svings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Svings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Svings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Svings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Svings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Svings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Svings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Svings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Svings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fattofame3 View Post
    Cooked, I noticed as someone else has mentioned here that they inject chicken with water to increase its weight and price. I weighed my chicken cooked and uncooked and it lost 30-50% in water weight, averaging around 40%.
    You added salt when cooking and it made the chicken very dry? Happened to me few days back. Probably due to the way of preparing it...

freeze dry it and it will lose 90% of its weight

This was interesting on wikl
    “Plumped chicken commonly contains 15% of its total weight in saltwater, but in some cases can contain as much as 30%.[1] Since the price of chicken is based on weight, opponents of the practice estimate that shoppers could be paying up to an additional $1.70 per package for added saltwater,[1] with the total annual cost to U.S. families estimated to be $2 billion in added weight charges.[4]

Health effects Edit
    A serving of plumped chicken can contain between 200 mg and 500 mg of sodium per serving,[5][6] which is more than 25% of the USDA's recommended daily sodium intake.[7] Non-plumped chicken generally contains 45 to 70 mg per serving.[8]”
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

Cooked, I noticed as someone else has mentioned here that they inject chicken with water to increase its weight and price.
    In Europe that's illegal. I'm not sure if and to what extent it happens in the US.

I weighed my chicken cooked and uncooked and it lost 30-50% in water weight, averaging around 40%.
    That's normal. Using nutritiondata.self data 100 gram raw chicken breast is 110 kcal. After roasting it would be about 66 gram. That means about ~33% water loss. Cook it shorter and on lower temperatures can mean less water loss. Higher temperatures and longer can lead to more water loss. Given the variability in cooking methods it's preferable to use raw weight.

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...products/703/2