AM1235 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AM1235 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Want to Build Muscle at 15

I am 15 years old, skinny with some hip fat which is not my main concern. I am only 145 pounds so I feel like I really need to build muscle to feel good with my body. And to the people who remember from me before, I'm not going to bring up my testosterone because I don't like to make excuses for myself anymore. I only have one dumbbell at home and I cannot go to a gym so I made a mostly - calisthenic chest and arm workout. I am still making the workout for the other muscles but here is the arm and the chest workout.

Arm (repeat 3 times)

Curls - 8
    Chinups - 10
    fist turning curls - 12 (pretty much turn with your fingers facing you while doing the curl and turn back when going down)
    Shoulder curls - 10 (bring the dumbbell to your opposite side chin while only moving your forearm)
    weighted chin ups - 5
    weighted bench dip - 20
    dips - 7

Chest (repeat 3 times)
    Incline pushup - 5
    pushup - 10
    dips - 5
    PT pushup - 10 (pushup using a power tower)
    Floor press - 10 per arm
    close grip dumbbell press - 10
    ring pushup - 5

Is this a good starter routine for my arms and chest to build some muscle? My legs are fine because I used to cross country and am about to do track. Another question is, what free website should I use to calculate my diet? Thanks for responding.

Pterodactyl314 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Pterodactyl314 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Pterodactyl314 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Pterodactyl314 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Pterodactyl314 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Pterodactyl314 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Pterodactyl314 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Pterodactyl314 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Pterodactyl314 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Pterodactyl314 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Pterodactyl314 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AM1235 View Post
    I am 15 years old, skinny with some hip fat which is not my main concern. I am only 145 pounds so I feel like I really need to build muscle to feel good with my body. And to the people who remember from me before, I'm not going to bring up my testosterone because I don't like to make excuses for myself anymore. I only have one dumbbell at home and I cannot go to a gym so I made a mostly - calisthenic chest and arm workout. I am still making the workout for the other muscles but here is the arm and the chest workout.

Arm (repeat 3 times)

Curls - 8
    Chinups - 10
    fist turning curls - 12 (pretty much turn with your fingers facing you while doing the curl and turn back when going down)
    Shoulder curls - 10 (bring the dumbbell to your opposite side chin while only moving your forearm)
    weighted chin ups - 5
    weighted bench dip - 20
    dips - 7

Chest (repeat 3 times)
    Incline pushup - 5
    pushup - 10
    dips - 5
    Floor press - 10 per arm
    ring pushup - 5

Is this a good starter routine for my arms and chest to build some muscle? My legs are fine because I used to cross country and am about to do track. Another question is, what free website should I use to calculate my diet? Thanks for responding.
    Looks good, the more pull-up exercises you do, the better. I used to make that leg excuse in high school, you should still do legs. Why can’t you go to a gym? Covid? Just continue to add volume and do more than you did the last workout.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is pretty bad. It's about as bro as you can get without using a lot of weight.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

AM1235 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AM1235 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    This is pretty bad. It's about as bro as you can get without using a lot of weight.
    Can you tell me how to improve it then? I'm relatively new to this.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can you tell me how to improve it then? I'm relatively new to this.
    You don't need:
    3 variations of curls
    Both weighted and unweighted chin ups. They should be done before any curls.
    2 variations of dips. And if you choose bench dips... bye-bye rotator cuffs.
    6 horizontal presses

You need:
    A vertical press
    A horizontal pull

Despite what you say, you need to train lower body. Saying you used to run cross-country and are about to start track is a red flag. The better the runner, the longer the event distance, the smaller the muscles tend to be.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Would shoulder presses be considered vertical presses
    and inverted rows considered as horizontal pulls?

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl314 View Post
    Looks good, the more pull-up exercises you do, the better. I used to make that leg excuse in high school, you should still do legs. Why can’t you go to a gym? Covid? Just continue to add volume and do more than you did the last workout.
    The reason I can't go to the gym is because my motehr believes that it'll stunt my growth or some BS.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The reason I can't go to the gym is because my motehr believes that it'll stunt my growth or some BS.
    Does your school have a weight facility? It should. Can you use that?
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

It does but I can't use it because of the virus. I have been trying to convince my parents (specifically my mom) to let me, but for now I have to work with what I have. Motivation for me is seeing prisoners become bulky, and shredded even with no weights.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well for a start thats not bad.
    Bodyweight exercise is good but will only take you so far.
    I would as your doing try many different variations to challenge you even more.
    In the mean time i would slowly gather some kind or rack,barbell and plates.
    I know this may take time with current conditions but make it a goal if mass is what your after.
    Compound movements(squat,bench press,deadlifts,rows,overhead presses)will take you far with your goal but you have to have the equipment.
    In the meantime do your home work and search for all the things you can do right now and implement some.
    Good luck.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Well for a start thats not bad.
    Bodyweight exercise is good but will only take you so far.
    I would as your doing try many different variations to challenge you even more.
    In the mean time i would slowly gather some kind or rack,barbell and plates.
    I know this may take time with current conditions but make it a goal if mass is what your after.
    Compound movements(squat,bench press,deadlifts,rows,overhead presses)will take you far with your goal but you have to have the equipment.
    In the meantime do your home work and search for all the things you can do right now and implement some.
    Good luck.
    Thank you. Ill figure out a way to go to the gym later on. I am not trying to get bulky with muscle; but I am trying to not be skinny and have noticeable muscle, and I think I can achieve that with bodyweight exercises and a dumbbell. But a question is, do you have a good nutrition and calorie calculator online which is free?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    "bulky" usually means having both muscle and too much fat.

So you need the same amount of muscle but also need to lose the fat - then you'll look lean and toned.

It's hard enough to achieve this, never mind what competitive bodybuilders do. So it makes sense to use the best methods possible. You can make some progress towards your goal with limited equipment but it will be harder and take longer. Join a proper gym as soon as you can.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    "bulky" usually means having both muscle and too much fat.

So you need the same amount of muscle but also need to lose the fat - then you'll look lean and toned.

It's hard enough to achieve this, never mind what competitive bodybuilders do. So it makes sense to use the best methods possible. You can make some progress towards your goal with limited equipment but it will be harder and take longer. Join a proper gym as soon as you can.
    Thank you, Ill try. Can you recommend a nutrition calculator? I want to make sure all these workouts aren't a waste due to lack of proper nutrition.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Would shoulder presses be considered vertical presses
    and inverted rows considered as horizontal pulls?
    Yes and yes

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Thank you, Ill try. Can you recommend a nutrition calculator? I want to make sure all these workouts aren't a waste due to lack of proper nutrition.
    You really don't need one. I don't think it's necessary at your age when young men approaching the hormonal peak of their life can grow despite eating garbage.

Just get 3 good meals a day consisting of whole foods like meat, eggs, dairy, beans, vegetables, nuts, wholegrains, fruit etc. Eat to appetite, moderate junk food and processed foods (which doesn't mean forbidding yourself these things, they will not harm your results).

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You really don't need one. I don't think it's necessary at your age when young men approaching the hormonal peak of their life can grow despite eating garbage.

Just get 3 good meals a day consisting of whole foods like meat, eggs, dairy, beans, vegetables, nuts, wholegrains, fruit etc. Eat to appetite, moderate junk food and processed foods (which doesn't mean forbidding yourself these things, they will not harm your results).
    Thank you. Ill still count calories and prioritize protein, because it isn't much of a hassle and I sometimes think my hormones are not balanced (but thats a different story)
    I also managed to convince my mom to let me go to the gym when Corona is no longer a threat. But of course, there has to be a setback which is really p1ssing me off. I have to only use machines. I don't know how I will possibly be able to build muscle mass with exclusively machines.

Turns out the machine I have at home has more than I thought. It has all muscles for exercises, including (but not limited to) Curls, reverse curls, chest press, pec flys, lat pulldowns, tricep extensions, and more. Would I be able to build a physique with this, calisthenics, and a dumbbell?

You can build muscle with machines. There are some downsides and it would be ideal to have free weights too - but yes you can certainly do just fine with what you have.

Make sure you have something for every main movement type:
    - horizontal press (e.g. bench press)
    - vertical press
    - vertical pull (e.g. pulldown or chinup)
    - horizontal pull (row)
    - leg press or squat
    - hip hinge (deadlift or goodmorning)

Ideally also fill in the gaps not addressed by the main movements:
    - lateral raises
    - shrugs
    - hamstring curls
    - arms
    - abs (yes I put these two last because they are less important than many seem to think)

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Arm (repeat 3 times)

Curls - 8
    Chinups - 10
    weighted chin ups - 5
    weighted bench dip - 20
    dips - 7

Chest (repeat 3 times)
    Incline pushup - 5
    pushup - 10
    dips - 5
    Floor press - 10 per arm
    ring pushup - 5

For a track athlete this seems to be a good workout. What people failed to realize is your goal is not to be bodybuilder; your a distance runner. The only thing I would change is to do some sort of hamstring exercise/ hip hinge movement.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class

Originally Posted by getbigordie18 View Post
    For a track athlete this seems to be a good workout. What people failed to realize is your goal is not to be bodybuilder; your a distance runner. The only thing I would change is to do some sort of hamstring exercise/ hip hinge movement.
    ThNk you I’ll try that, But I am aiming not to be too skinny like I am now

Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100) Ksteevyla is not very well liked. (-100)
    Take baby steps..