KevyKevs is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I Eat Before Working Out?

After being on a bulk for 6 months, I am going to be entering a cutting phase to reveal and keep as much muscle as possible. I also want to keep my strength that Ive been building as well. I have been working out in the afternoon but have been planning to start workouts in the morning. I get that carbs are important to have energy but is it THAT important I have a meal before my workout in order to keep my strength or can I workout on an empty stomach.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    depends on your preference, so feel free to experiment

DarkLordStan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There shouldn't be a significant/measurable difference. If you feel tired working out without eating, then yes you absolutely should. If you can train at your required intensity, eat enough protein and not in an extreme deficit, you should be able to maintain most of your muscle.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JonD13 View Post
    Timing is just as important as food choice in keeping you energized throughout your workout. You should eat 30-60 minutes prior to your workout to allow the food to digest, and wait about 30-45 minutes to continue the fat-burning wave after. HOwever, still it depends on your preference.
    fat burning wave???

KevyKevs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TimHall2 View Post
    what'd you end up going with
    I ended up going with not eating a meal before my workout then eating a meal with protein and carbs soon after so we’ll see how it goes.

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Personally, when cutting, I tend to do cardio fasted but prefer to have a small meal (250-300 calories) about 45-60 minutes before weight training.

Usually something like:

~1 egg
    ~100g Egg whites
    ~10g parm cheese
    ~5g sun dried tomato
    ~Low carb Tortilla (Ole' Wrap)
    ~2 Omega 3 fish oil pills.

I cook the egg, egg whites, parm & tomato into an omelette and eat it in the wrap like a taco/burrito.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

TimHall2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KevyKevs View Post
    I ended up going with not eating a meal before my workout then eating a meal with protein and carbs soon after so we’ll see how it goes.
    Let me know how this works out for you. I'm also going to be starting to work out in the morning and find it difficult to eat anything before. I'm just a little worried I won't have the same energy or strength because of this.