Registered User midatlandticdad's Avatar
    midatlandticdad is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Rotator Cuff issues / Hernia - 4 mos into journey

Hi all,

44, turning 45 in december. 6'2", was about 205-215 lbs from about 2012 through 2017, in OK shape, and hit the skids in 2017 - stress, health issues for dad etc. Hit my all time high of 254 pounds due to depression and just hitting a rut in many aspects of my life.

Had a health scare in july and decided that was enough. Started getting back into working out/light lifting then, and am now down to 220. Goal is 205 by February. Two issues im dealing with:

1) Rotator Cuff - right arm: i separated my shoulder wrestling in 11th grade. i went through physical therapy and "healed" although its always been a little wonky. The rotator cuff has given me issue on and off the last 10 years. Currently, it is clearly agitated - flat bench is painful, even with light weights (have been doing sets of 135 x 12 just to get some work in) and then tried just incline. Incline isn't painful, but i can feel it click. Then for 2 or 3 days after its sore. In between i have been doing light work meant to strenghten the muscles (mostly front side and rear raises). it doesn't seem to be getting better and have alternated workouts, rest etc. Is it time to see an ortho / physical therapist for an assessment? I have read that there can be success with PT, but wanted to see if anyone has had success with an at home program to help.

2) Hernia - dem squats got me i guess. meeting with a doc to get assessment/surgury scheduled. Hoping for first week of december, have a trip scheduleed jan 15 to nashville. Any pointers on recovery, what to expect, anything to do to prevent the other side from popping etc?

Thanks in advance. This is my first post and i'm enjoying my successes so far, and hope to get to my potential over the next year or so.

wfcmoog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wfcmoog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wfcmoog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey mate,

Hope the hernia is sorted soon.

As for the rotator, I had this issue a year or so back. I wasn't training much at the time and once it started to hurt, I rested. It just got worse and worse.

I saw a physio who have me some exercises, basic stuff with a can of beans. I got bored/impatient and went back to the gym, reassessing by bench form.

It worked a miracle for me. Tucking in elbows, bracing lats and traps properly. Started light but within weeks pain was all but gone and weights progressed.

That was my experience but suggest you take advice before taking any risks. Also balance is important. Too much chest and not enough back will make you susceptible.

Get well soon.

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Do lots of band work for the shoulders - google it, YouTube has tons. The best are inner outer rotations imo. Y’s t’s etc - there is also a lot of stuff for pitchers with shoulder issues - all good stuff

As far as benching;
    1. Don’t bench with a straight bar - Use dumbbells, or any one of the different football styles of bars
    2. I just got a slingshot and it helps proper bench form if you have to bench with a straight bar

anonymous
    1. Had some issues with my right shoulder. Infection in the mucous sac. Took over a year and a half, even with rehab recommended by my physiotherapist. Probably should've had ultra sound treatment from the start.

2. It wasn't the squats that caused your hernia, but it probably worsened it.

I had surgery in 2007. Recovery was quick, I think it was 1½ week. Hardest part was getting up and lying down in bed.
    Never had a problem with it after it healed.

I also participated in a scientific research where they tested different types of net. I got the double net, one which stays inside forever and one that disintigrates over time. No pros and cons over the three nets they tested though.
    Last edited by ChristosC; 11-23-2020 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to write 1.