Bedubs123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Training for bulk and speed

I'm looking to get better at sports, but one thing I've noticed is that the more I bulk the slower I get. I want to continue getting bigger, but I also want to run faster, increase my vertical, have more stamina, etc. Do you guys have any tips or workouts for this? Or, what's been your experience training for sports? I'm pretty new to all of this, so I want to learn anything I can!

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    American Football players at all most all positions train for "bulk and speed", actually strength and speed. During the winter the training is mainly for getting stronger. Towards the spring you still train heavy but add in explosive work and speed work. Spring into summer is a lot of speed work while maintaining strength with the period before camp concentrating on GPP which is what you need for the season. Joe DeFranco's WS4SB write ups are pretty good at describing this. His WS4SBv3 with speed program is a pretty good description of typical football player training in the spring; 3 day U/L split with plenty of speed work in the off days. Power/plyo work (and sometimes speed work) is done on lift days prior to lifting. My son played college football and was a thrower in Track and Field. Many days he would do speed and GPP work after lifting (so maybe perfecting running form) and then on off days work on max speed or acceleration work. For him, things would get complicated so him and another thrower would do one or two 4 week German Volume Training (GVT) episodes per year to make later Max Strength work yield better results.

Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    American Football players at all most all positions train for "bulk and speed", actually strength and speed. During the winter the training is mainly for getting stronger. Towards the spring you still train heavy but add in explosive work and speed work. Spring into summer is a lot of speed work while maintaining strength with the period before camp concentrating on GPP which is what you need for the season. Joe DeFranco's WS4SB write ups are pretty good at describing this. His WS4SBv3 with speed program is a pretty good description of typical football player training in the spring; 3 day U/L split with plenty of speed work in the off days. Power/plyo work (and sometimes speed work) is done on lift days prior to lifting. My son played college football and was a thrower in Track and Field. Many days he would do speed and GPP work after lifting (so maybe perfecting running form) and then on off days work on max speed or acceleration work. For him, things would get complicated so him and another thrower would do one or two 4 week German Volume Training (GVT) episodes per year to make later Max Strength work yield better results.
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for the advice!!

TimHall2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I found this thread very interesting too. I'm kind of in the same boat so i'll have to try some of these out.

ssusanapaulaa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Bedubs123 View Post
    I'm looking to get better at sports, but one thing I've noticed is that the more I bulk the slower I get. I want to continue getting bigger, but I also want to run faster, increase my vertical, have more stamina, etc. Do you guys have any tips or workouts for this? Or, what's been your experience training for sports? I'm pretty new to all of this, so I want to learn anything I can!
    I still know that when I started sports I was looking for perfection and we all know that perfection comes using the perfect things so I started buying sports goods using amazon coupons from mesheble.com so that I can get some off to keep my sports hobbies at a great place.

KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000)
    Are you still sprinting while gaining weight or just bodybuilding? Are you also performing jumps etc?
    Tnation Articles:
    https://www.t-nation.com/all-articles/authors/james-de-lacey

STACK Articles:
    http://www.stack.com/expert/james-de-lacey

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/ou...he-little-guys

Originally Posted by KiwiJames View Post
    Are you still sprinting while gaining weight or just bodybuilding? Are you also performing jumps etc?
    Right now i'm just lifting weights because I want to gain mass, but now that the gyms are closed I was planning on transitioning to more athletic training.

KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000) KiwiJames is just really nice. (+1000)
    Right now i'm just lifting weights because I want to gain mass, but now that the gyms are closed I was planning on transitioning to more athletic training.
    Never do one or the other. Need to have a thread of strength training and speed throughout your training. Just vary the volume of work depending on your current goal
    Tnation Articles:
    https://www.t-nation.com/all-articles/authors/james-de-lacey

STACK Articles:
    http://www.stack.com/expert/james-de-lacey

bachtuoctv is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well, slow but sure is my motto, and put health and endurance first. It is important that I do not understand these matters so it is safest that I trust my trainer