Jaay32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Alternative leg exercise to work around lower back pain

Hi,

Recently I have developed slight lower back pain thus I am changing up my routine to allow the back to rest and get back to normal for 5-6 weeks. However, this means having to stop doing Squats, Deadlifts and Hip thrust. I am training at home and have lots of weights, barbells, dumbbells and a bench – can anyone suggest some exercise I can use to continue working my lower body without having to use the lower back?

I have started doing Bulgarian split squats and step ups but I am not sure if the is sufficient and well-rounded so any help would be great.

Thanks.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Lower back pain can mean that there is a problem with your form - or that you have a muscle weakness. Both of these can be corrected and you should try. Constantly "working around" such problems will not result in a strong and athletic body. Fixing it should be possible as long as it's linked to muscle and not a degenerative bone related issue.

If I am rehabbing a back injury I can sometimes do split squats or barbell hacks squats (bar behind legs) as well as sissy squats.

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Jaay32 View Post

I have started doing Bulgarian split squats and step ups but I am not sure if the is sufficient and well-rounded so any help would be great.
    Both of these exercises are perfectly viable alternatives to back squats as the lighter weights can be easier on the back. They are also good for working out any imbalances between the legs. Maybe add something like a single leg RDL for a hinge movement?

Jaay32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the replies.

The injury occurred due to a fall so I don’t think it is an imbalance issue.

I have tried both barbell hacks squats and single leg RDL but my back does not like doing ether.

I am looking for something to hit my hamstrings but everything I can think of like the stiff leg deadlift I can’t do, any suggestions?

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jaay32 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

The injury occurred due to a fall so I don’t think it is an imbalance issue.

I have tried both barbell hacks squats and single leg RDL but my back does not like doing ether.

I am looking for something to hit my hamstrings but everything I can think of like the stiff leg deadlift I can’t do, any suggestions?
    Lie face down with a db between your feet and do hamstring curls.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Look up nordic leg curls and see if you can find something to anchor your feet to in order to do them. If you have some sort of pole you can place on the floor and hold onto you can assist yourself as needed throughout the movement.

Also, consider doing the bulgarians with your front leg far in front and bend over doing them; that will shift the emphasis more to glutes/hamstrings while the step ups will focus more on your quads.

You can also look into belt squat options.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hip belt squats could be an option.
    Ironmind sells a hip belt for squatting that works well.
    There are also other brands out there.
    I have one that i can either hook a kettle bell around or use a weight pin and stack plates.
    For you probably higher reps right now until you heal up.

Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000) Gringer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Hip belt squats could be an option.
    Ironmind sells a hip belt for squatting that works well.
    There are also other brands out there.
    I have one that i can either hook a kettle bell around or use a weight pin and stack plates.
    For you probably higher reps right now until you heal up.
    These!!!. Love hip belt squats. They have increased my back squat. They HAMMER the quads. Easier to recover from and safer on the lower back since the spinal compression is removed.
    Personal bests: (1RM'S)

S: 167kg
    B: 101kg
    D: 160kg
    O.H.P: 74kg
    C.U: 33kg

ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ChunkBuster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I’ve found landmine RDL more lower back friendly than regular RDL.

Try landmine: squats, RDL, sumo squat.

Wrap a towel around one end of the barbell and put in the corner of a room. You can’t use as much weight but better than nothing.