PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50)

When to do pyramid style workout

I'm currently doing an Upper and lower split 4x a week and was training on the Fierce Five program before this for a couple of years. I can give detailed breakdown if required.

I see a lot of people doing a workout which I believe is pyramid style and taking it to complete failure i.e.

5 reps at 200kg set 1
    6 reps at 150kg set 2
    7 reps at 100kg set 3
    8 reps at 80kg set 4

Maybe all the way to 10 reps until you reach failure.
    I'm not sure what weight ratio it should be between each set but I think I might be a beginner/ intermediate.

When could one try this type of training and is it ok to do side by side with the current program?

Explanation below:

I think I read/watched some leave out the exercise from the upper/lower split, they are targeting i.e. chest, then try it out on the last day so they have enough time to recover when they target the chest again.

By this I mean if the last day of the week you do any chest exercise is Thursday then instead of following the chest program on that day you would do the pyramid training for the chest after completing the rest of the program so by the time you reach your next chest day (most likely sometime the following week) you have recovered but could go past your plateu.

Hope this makes sense.

PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50) PixelFive will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Any thoughts? Not sure if this is a bad question but I was curious to know

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Whenever I do pyramid sets, it is when I feel like it. I don’t really like to write it into a program because it is hard to be consistent with them (for me anyways).

Originally Posted by PixelFive View Post
    Any thoughts? Not sure if this is a bad question but I was curious to know
    There are no bad questions. The people here are very knowledgeable and I’ve learned a lot in the short time I’ve been here.

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Whenever I do pyramid sets, it is when I feel like it. I don’t really like to write it into a program because it is hard to be consistent with them (for me anyways).

There are no bad questions. The people here are very knowledgeable and I’ve learned a lot in the short time I’ve been here.
    Thanks for that. I appreciate your input. Cheers

beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beowulf359 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by PixelFive View Post
    I see a lot of people doing a workout which I believe is pyramid style and taking it to complete failure i.e.

5 reps at 200kg set 1
    6 reps at 150kg set 2
    7 reps at 100kg set 3
    8 reps at 80kg set 4
    What you are describing here is a “drop set” scheme where you drop the weight on subsequent sets. Usually though you drop the weight by a smaller amount (like 10%) and not massively as you have in your example.

A pyramid is where you start with lighter weights in the first sets, build up to a high weight in the middle set and then go back down again. The starting sets should not be confused with doing “warm-up sets”. In a pyramid, the first lighter sets are work sets and should be done within a few reps of failure ideally.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by beowulf359 View Post
    What you are describing here is a “drop set” scheme where you drop the weight on subsequent sets. Usually though you drop the weight by a smaller amount (like 10%) and not massively as you have in your example.

A pyramid is where you start with lighter weights in the first sets, build up to a high weight in the middle set and then go back down again. The starting sets should not be confused with doing “warm-up sets”. In a pyramid, the first lighter sets are work sets and should be done within a few reps of failure ideally.

Also the drop set is a form of superset while pyramid has regular rest periods between sets.