KitRii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Is the Mifflin St Jeor formula still one of the best ways to get a BMR estimation?

Hey guys!

Are there any more accurate formulas to calculate BMR or is this still the best for making an estimation?
    I know its not perfect and requires tweaks over time but I've gotten access to a gym again and want to make sure I'm starting in the best place I can with my nutrition in check.

Just to refresh my memory Ill need to

-Get my BMR
    -Multiply by activity level
    -Reduce by about 500 calories give or take for a cut
    or
    -Add 500 Calories give or take for a bulk

Is this correct or am I forgetting something?

Thanks for any and all information!

faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) faithbrah is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    use any reasonable TDEE calculator, then run that number for two weeks and see what happens

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KitRii View Post
    I know its not perfect and requires tweaks over time but I've gotten access to a gym again and want to make sure I'm starting in the best place I can with my nutrition in check.
    If you actually do this then the calculator result doesn't matter.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    If you actually do this then the calculator result doesn't matter.
    Yea the formula/calculator is more for a starting point. Tomorrow I'm about 2 weeks in based off of a Mifflin St Jeor Calculator but I originally weighed myself on an old scale that gives a different weight every time you step on it so I have a new scale being delivered tomorrow and itll be time to decide is I need to adjust.

Originally Posted by faithbrah View Post
    use any reasonable TDEE calculator, then run that number for two weeks and see what happens
    Yea thats where I started but all calculators have different formulas so I was just wondering if there were a new gold standard. I think Im good and thanks for the advice!

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yea thats where I started but all calculators have different formulas so I was just wondering if there were a new gold standard. I think Im good and thanks for the advice!
    There is no gold standard because all calculators have an activity level variable which is very vague and arbitrary

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by cmacken View Post
    There is no gold standard because all calculators have an activity level variable which is very vague and arbitrary
    ^ Came in to say this.

Collecting real data about how your body responds to a given calorie level is the real gold standard for weight management.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TolerantLactose is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The gold standard is, and always has been, your own actual results.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It doesn't matter which method you use as they're all just guesstimates. That coupled with the inevitable miscounting of calories and inaccurate tracking and It's all just throwing darts at a dartboard. Pick a reasonable number and review progress or lack of it in 3 weeks and adjust accordingly.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough