Registered User PhysicsIsCool12's Avatar
    PhysicsIsCool12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Advice for weight loss

My mom and I are trying to lose weight. Below are our stats. I'm looking for expert advice because we tried a new plan but haven't seen any results. We started with a plan where we do 30 minutes on the treadmill one day, then 5 minutes the next, then 30 minutes the day after, etc. The reason for the 5 minutes is to develop the mental discipline to keep a workout schedule. This part is working well, but I want to see what else we can do to drop the pounds. For the diet, we aren't really going horribly out of our way to do something special because we already eat relatively healthy. Fruit in the morning, Panera salad and soup during lunch, and then something medium-sized for dinner. During the last workout session, I had her start lifting weights because I heard that there is a strong relationship between weight loss and lifting weights.

Me:
    -28 years old
    -Hispanic
    -5'5"
    -History of sports, including lacrosse, wrestling, basketball, soccer, track and field.
    -184 lbs.

Mom:
    -56 years old
    -Hispanic
    -5'2"
    -Her job has her walking around frequently
    -200 lbs.

Any tips?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Read the basics thread in the Fat Loss forum.

You need to start counting calories. Hopefully from your username you have a scientific approach to such things. The fundamental principle of fat loss is to create and sustain a calorie deficit.

1lb of fat contains 3500 calories. You use around 2500 in a day, exercise doesn't add much (maybe 200 cal an hour) to the burn side of the equation so it's easier to control the other side - the intake side.

Create a 500 calorie deficit every day for 1 week = lose 1 lb. There will be measurement errors due to variations in water weight but weigh yourself every day and look past the noise for a trend in your weight and adjust calories as needed.

Do resistance training to prevent muscle loss.

Simon120 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Dont follow a diet thats to hard. You have to enjoy the progress. Its easier to hold on to a diet you enjoy then to a hard one.