Mattingly23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cardio? Elliptical vs treadmill?

I'm 45. Right around 6'0 and 230.
    Have a very minor case of HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy) and high blood pressure and need to lose some weight.
    Been looking for treadmill for a few months and might grab one come Black Friday.
    Just started looking at Ellipticals and wondering if they're a better choice for me.
    Knees aren't great, I won't be running or even jogging any time soon
    I'd be on the treadmill probably every day walking an hour or so.
    I know the elliptical is much safer, but I'm still leaning towards a simple daily routine of walking on a treadmill.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks, stay safe everyone!

TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10) TomGallopavo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have had a treadmill for 10+ years. It has been very good to us. I mostly lift but lately use it to jog a mile or so, walk uphill, and do farmer's walks. I'm 55 and not worried about it's safety.

As far as your weight goes, you know what not to eat so stop eating it. Your diet is huge (pardon the pun).

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just my own personal preference. Treadmills are big, I'd walk outdoors (progressing to gentle jogging over time) weather permitting.

I'd then use something smaller than the treadmill if the weather is bad. Exercise bike (try yard sale), skipping rope later on when you get much fitter.

You don't necessarily need fancy or expensive equipment. If you want equipment and you use and have the money, great. But you don't *need* it.

Just pick whichever you will enjoy and actually use

Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Luclin999 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My personal preference is for cardio is outdoor cycling.

Followed by indoor cycling with my bike, smart trainer and ZWIFT.

Third is my Precor 544 elliptical trainer.

Whatever you get, don't "cheap out" with it. Try out a demo of the machine first. Make sure that it feels solid and does the work you want in the way that you are comfortable with because otherwise I can all but guarantee that you'll subconsciously avoid using it if there is some "wobble" or "squeek" or awkward movement to it that you find irritating.

Also, look into local used sales and see what is available between now and the end of November. Sometimes you can get a professional quality machine at an insanely good price that way (That's how I got my almost new condition Precor machine for free from someone that bought it and then basically didn't bother using it for 20 years).
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Treadmills / jogging is better for osteopenia (mom has this)

Elliptical is better for bad knees (I have arthritis in both knees and knee surgeries and arthritis in my feet)

Over all walking is always good imo and swimming is easiest on the joints. Biking for cardio seems like a waste of time for how much you have to do unless spin biking
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you considered a rower? Concept 2 rower is a heck of a cardio workout with the addition of some resistance as well.

Another good option would be a Peloton.

I have both and both are great ways to scorch some calories.

Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gabbar99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Find something you like. Can you walk somewhere? That beats the tedium of an elliptical or treadmill.

I run thousands of miles most years, run a bunch of marathons, ultramarathons, and other events. And this year I cycled thousands of miles. I've never "done cardio" in my life. I just do what I like.

btw, exercise is a magic pill for health, but not an effective weight loss tool overall. If you're bodybuilding and counting every calorie and need to burn a few more calories while not decreasing the calories you eat, then it's a thing. But for most people, exercise is almost irrelevant for weight loss.

short story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXTiiz99p9o

long story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7FK8noIc5I

That's not to talk you out of exercising. Quite the opposite. Find something that can become a hobby, not just a chore to lose weight. And people who exercise are better at keeping weight off once they've lost it. It's an important part of a healthy lifestyle. And cardio in particular has many great benefits.

If machines are your only option, I'd join a gym and try different stuff for awhile before committing to a purchase.

ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000) ENCBBQ is just really nice. (+1000)
    I’m thinking of a rower. I enjoy running and mtb, but rowing would be a nice low impact cardio alternative

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My favorites were always treadmill on incline, bike or stair stepper when I used to go to the gym. I liked the added benefit of quad and calf work. Now I have a stationary bike but I think just walking is just as good or better. Even if I just take my kids to the playground I'll walk around it for 30-40 minutes while they play.

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like my recumbent bike. It doesn't burn the most calories per hour, but it's really low impact, not impacted by the weather and I can just setup my tablet and watch youtube while I pedal. I mostly watch fitness videos so I'm learning while I burn calories. I used to jog outside which was nice in good weather, but not so great when it's raining really hard or the ground is icy. Rucking is a great calorie burner but generates high levels of fatigue.

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I use a gym elliptical. It's been my go to cardio for awhile. By nature I'd prefer to run, but it's just to hard on body if I'm also trying to lift weights. Just to hard to recover from weight lifting and running. The elliptical is a similar movement, which can burn the calories without the pounding.

Just a comment on rowing. If you do a lot of dead lifting and squatting, it's hard to recover if you add rowing. My back never seems to fully recover if I row and lift.

VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post
    Have you considered a rower? Concept 2 rower is a heck of a cardio workout with the addition of some resistance as well.
    This would be my first choice too followed by an AirDyne

No Idea what your limitations are OP. Maybe you should test some equipment out?
    “Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase.” – Joseph Pilates

A bodybuilder uses the weights to work the muscle.

Backcontrol is just really nice. (+1000) Backcontrol is just really nice. (+1000) Backcontrol is just really nice. (+1000) Backcontrol is just really nice. (+1000) Backcontrol is just really nice. (+1000) Backcontrol is just really nice. (+1000) Backcontrol is just really nice. (+1000) Backcontrol is just really nice. (+1000) Backcontrol is just really nice. (+1000) Backcontrol is just really nice. (+1000) Backcontrol is just really nice. (+1000)
    34 with knee, ankle and shoulder issues.

Rouge Echo bike is the best piece of equipment I have ever bought. Absolutely indestructible and versatile.

Upper body, lower body, LISS, HIIT - anything you want, especially if you get a chest strap for it as well. The polar beat app will allow you track all of your workouts and give you an idea of intensity, duration and heart rate recovery.

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Ellipticals are easier on the knees but make sure you try any machine before you buy one to make sure you will be comfortable using it - some are super awkward to use.

Treadmill are simple and if you aren’t running won’t be bad on the knees. It’s a safer but esp without trying it first

Hope this helped a little