Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is Overhead Pressing 5x5 3x a week too much?

I’m currently trying to improve my OHP, and I’ve been doing it 3 times a week as 3 sets of 5, in the same day as rows variations and upper back work. It hasn’t been improving, I tried lowering the frequency to twice a week or even once and I got weaker. So is 5x5 three times a week ok? What do you think? It is by far my weakest lift.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    IT's not too much, but why the same variation and set/reps scheme all 3x?
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Alexlarex View Post
    I’m currently trying to improve my OHP, and I’ve been doing it 3 times a week as 3 sets of 5, in the same day as rows variations and upper back work. It hasn’t been improving, I tried lowering the frequency to twice a week or even once and I got weaker. So is 5x5 three times a week ok? What do you think? It is by far my weakest lift.
    Really depends on what your overall program looks like.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Lower the weight a bit and do 5 5 5.

Next workout do 6 5 5

Next 6 6 5

Then 6 6 6

Then 7 6 6

Work your way up to 8 8 8 then add weight and start 5 5 5 again. The progression is probably too fast, so do the same rep scheme 3 times then increase 1 more rep for the following week.

Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10) Alexlarex is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Really depends on what your overall program looks like.
    Right. I do Squats, Snatch Grip DL, Single leg work and a hip hinge for leg day. Twice a week mostly but whenever I feel to do a third session I do that 3rd leg day.

Upper body is just the exercises I said; nothing more. Overhead Press; Rows variations and upper back exercises. 3 times a week.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Right. I do Squats, Snatch Grip DL, Single leg work and a hip hinge for leg day. Twice a week mostly but whenever I feel to do a third session I do that 3rd leg day.

Upper body is just the exercises I said; nothing more. Overhead Press; Rows variations and upper back exercises. 3 times a week.
    Not sure going from 3x5 to 5x5 3x/week will improve your OHP if you're stalled, but you could try - you may want to vary it between days (sets, reps, dbs, etc.). Also see if there's something you can do with your form to help (grip width, stability, etc.). You may want to add something like close grip BP which may build up your tris a bit more to assist the OHP.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Right. I do Squats, Snatch Grip DL,
    . Overhead Press; Rows variations.
    Are you comparing your gains with squats, DL and rows with your gains on OHP? Your shoulders are the smallest muscle group when compared to your legs and back. Subsequently, your gains on your OHP will be less than your gains on back and legs.

If I could come up with a good shoulder workout, it would be called "Shoulders Like Boulders".

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Depends, as a complete beginner probably not so much but even given that probably not how I would do it or set it up.

OHP is probably going to be the slowest of compound movements to increase so firstly you are going to have to accept this and be patient. Secondly, it'll likely go up if you are gaining strength on the bench, it isn't always the case but if your bench is stalling that could be indicative of it as well. If you are benching a lot, say 3x a week and doing a lot of pressing, it may not be a great idea in that context because it's a lot of pressing. Triceps take a huge beating, even more so if you do dedicated tricep isolations.

Overreaching isn't a huge deal aside from if you find your lifts going down, it may be time for a deload. I would perhaps do a seated dumbbell press instead for higher reps. To get the needle moving on lifts you also need to get bigger. For example if you are 140 lbs stalling on 70 lbs 5x5 on OHP, yeah at that point you probably need to get bigger and build more muscle.

I will say though 15 sets of overhead pressing a week is a lot, and that isn't counting other pressing volume such as bench and dedicated tricep work. From my experience you can increase your ohp on less and just throwing volume at something isn't necessarily the answer.

If your other upper body lifts are increasing I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it, at some point ohp will follow along. be patient with it.
    positivity brah crew
    dont take my posts too srs crew srs
    JFL @ everything crew
    lol @ tradies srs crew
    BIG LOL @ sky tradies srs crew (RealAesthetic)
    indian crew
    living in clown world crew so screw it crew
    anti-degen crew