Registered User userWPTBCG4EVKN's Avatar
    userWPTBCG4EVKN is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Right Arm/Elbow Pain Immediately after weight dips and/or weighted pull ups

Greetings all,

(If you're a "cut to the chase" kind of person, see next paragraph) Returning member, I became a hardcore runner for about a year to stop being fat before I started trying to gain. Started lifting again in July. I've progressed from a measly 3x3 pull-ups and 3x3 chin-ups to 3x6 pull-ups and 3x6 chin-ups from July to Sep, then I began to add weight to the pull-ups/chin-ups at +2.5 lbs per week. Same timeline I went from 3x12 Bench Dips to 3x12 full bar dips, and started adding 2.5 lbs per week to the belt.

In three weeks I'm at 7.5 lbs and my arm is always injured by the second workout (doing Push/Pull/Leg, Push/Pull/Leg; M-Sat). I don't know what I'm hurting, but Monday on push day I get a really dull but strong pain in my tricep near my elbow. I figure that's normal so I keep pushing through the workout. Tuesday on pull day now after pull-ups I get a mild dull pain near my elbow, but I figure it's from my tricep since that hurts, so I keep going. Chin-ups get done and my entire upper right arm into my elbow has the strongest, most dull pain I've ever felt. Radiates down the forearm occasionally, and up into the shoulder...barely. Very intense pain, and I can't continue my workout. Is this common among new lifters, maybe due to adding weight too quickly?

I felt like I was ready when it comes to dips. My form is on point, I used to get shoulder pain but I figured that out and fixed my form.

Pull-ups my goal was to increase weight to 20 lbs gradually, then drop the weight to add reps for hypertrophy sweet spot. Is this flawed logic? Greatly appreciate any advice. I've seen amazing results from this routine up until this point, now I'm just starting to hurt myself. Thanks all.
    Last edited by userWPTBCG4EVKN; 10-27-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You should see a doctor or physical therapist for medical type advise.
    That being said and just guessing from what you described i would say it's the starting of tendonitis.
    You are stressing the tendons with added weight to your body weight exercises.
    If it is and you keeping the same it will probably get worse to the point you won't be able to do anything because of the pain.
    Wearing neoprene elbow sleeves will help keep the elbows warm during exercising and might help.
    Icing your elbows after training can help reducing inflammation.
    Remember I'm only speculating and am not a doctor.
    Good luck.